Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch and flywheel ordered.

Comment

Pushrods and flywheel will be here today :D I'm going to try to button up the engine this weekend, which means I'll have to weld up the oil pan and fit the pickup.

Comment

Roller rockers and pushrods are installed

Gonna pick up some valve cover gaskets, put the valve covers on, then move to the oil pump/pan mods, should hopefully have the engine closed up this weekend.

Comment

I'm a bad welder but the oil pan is getting there. I've got 3 leaks I need to fix, then clean it up and paint it.
          Last edited by Elysian; 01-21-2018, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Oil pan was a mini nightmare thanks to my computer lack of welding skill, but it's done. It holds liquid which is all that matters. Threw a coat of paint on it and called it a day.

Comment

Got a LOT done today, but got hung up again.

I got the oil pump installed (replaced it, original pump was scored really badly), got the timing cover lined up and installed, and put the crank pulley on. However, when I went to install the oil pan, the oil pickup was touching the pan in the area I chopped up, meaning no go. Marked it on the inside of the pan to see how far off it was, I'll direct link the image in case some are put off by boogers

That sharpie mark inside the pan is how far off the pickup is. I bought the pickup recommended for the pan, but didn't expect it to go all the way to the back of the pan, figured it would be in the middle. Oh well, looks like I'll be chopping it up and rewelding it. I also roughly checked its depth and it's about 3/4" too shallow, I'll work on its clearance while I'm at it. The oil pump I got is also a high flowing replacement, so should be a nice pump. I'm hoping I can chop up the pickup tomorrow, we'll see how that goes.

Comment

Welded the oil pickup today, took two tries on the 2nd weld but overall was pretty painless to get the clearance right.

Oil pan is on.

No idea when I dinged that corner but oh well. Put the lower intake manifold in a vat of Purple Power overnight, will clean it up tomorrow.

Comment

Ordered a Summit Racing short throw shifter today, has positive stops so should help keep the transmission in line. Also ordered a new water pump.

Comment

Keep those pictures coming! I'm very interested in seeing one of these swaps progress.

IG @turbovarg
                    '91 318is, M20 turbo
                    [CoTM: 4-18]
                    '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                    - updated 3-17

Comment

Had to move backwards a little bit, realized I didn't install the windage tray, so pulled the oil pan off. Quickly realized I needed special studs to be able to install the windage tray, so ordered those and will resume when they get here.

In the mean time, I pressure washed the intake manifold, need to clean it a little more but should be able to paint it. Need to grab some high temp black.

Originally posted by varg View Post
                      Keep those pictures coming! I'm very interested in seeing one of these swaps progress.

Appreciate the encouragement, I'm having a blast doing it but it also helps to know people are still following along. I was going to start a Youtube channel on this, but quickly found that the recording process is as much if not more work than the actual work.

Comment

Yeah, making videos is a huge time sink, especially if you don't have a super fast video editing computer because then you're always waiting for it to catch up to you. It's surprising how many people do it.

I'm following this with great interest, I want to build a 302 and do the swap as soon as financially possible. I crave the torque and throttle response of a big (for this car) NA 5L+ V8. A 400hp stroker build would make more torque from 3,000rpm to redline than my turbo M20 does at its peak around 5,000rpm, that low end makes a car feel faster and more fun to drive. Your car is going to be a riot. My car feels fast but only between 3,500rpm and 6,000rpm, it has nothing below 3,000rpm and falls off noticeably after 6,000. With a 302 that has good heads, a moderate cam, and an upgraded valvetrain, you'll pull hard in such a light car from 2,500rpm all the way to 6,500. With aluminum heads a 302 weighs the same as if not less than my turbo M20 does with its giant intercooler and long charge piping and the weight is further back so balance would be improved. It's a win all around, just a bit of a pain, and figuring out an AC compressor solution that fits neatly will be tricky, but to me AC is mandatory in a car. If I want to go really fast with no AC, I have a motorcycle that'll satisfy my need for speed.
                        Last edited by varg; 02-01-2018, 07:17 PM.

IG @turbovarg
                        '91 318is, M20 turbo
                        [CoTM: 4-18]
                        '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                        - updated 3-17

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
                          I'm following this with great interest, I want to build a 302 and do the swap as soon as financially possible. I crave the torque and throttle response of a big (for this car) NA 5L+ V8. A 400hp stroker build would make more torque from 3,000rpm to redline than my turbo M20 does at its peak around 5,000rpm, that low end makes a car feel faster and more fun to drive. Your car is going to be a riot. My car feels fast but only between 3,500rpm and 6,000rpm, it has nothing below 3,000rpm and falls off noticeably after 6,000. With a 302 that has good heads, a moderate cam, and an upgraded valvetrain, you'll pull hard in such a light car from 2,500rpm all the way to 6,500. With aluminum heads a 302 weighs the same as if not less than my turbo M20 does with its giant intercooler and long charge piping and the weight is further back so balance would be improved. It's a win all around, just a bit of a pain, and figuring out an AC compressor solution that fits neatly will be tricky, but to me AC is mandatory in a car. If I want to go really fast with no AC, I have a motorcycle that'll satisfy my need for speed.
                          You summed up my exact thoughts on this.

5L seems to be looked past, but is 1/3 of the price of an LS swap, and is in the line of engines I find myself the most comfortable with. I've been building this in my mind forever, I've just been waiting to watch someone else carry out the build so I can get an idea of fitment and general cost. A stock bottom end 302 with nice Al heads/cam/intake will make 300whp easy and will pull a light E30 along with absolutely no effort at all. Not to mention you can turbo a 5L for $1500 and make 500whp if you get bored.
                          1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                          1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

I've spent more by now than I would have on an LS, I'm pretty sure. I could have easily found an aluminum LS truck motor by now for what I paid for my 302. I don't regret it, but the costs are adding up the more I do to make reliable power. A 302 is pretty underpowered stock, especially in Explorer format. If I had it to do again I'd probably start with a 5.3 aluminum LS.

That said, I think I'll achieve my goals with the 302, and I think it'll be a great car. Small update for tonight...

My Summit T5 billet short shifter came in, gotta say, it's pretty impressive for the price.

I probably put the shift rod on backwards, but just wanted to put it there for demonstration.

So the windage tray is installed properly now, enough clearance for the connecting rods, and enough clearance that the oil pan fits. It was a VERY tight fit, but I got the oil pan on and spun the engine a few times.

So much more to do. I think I'll paint the upper and lower intake next.

Comment

Installed the water pump today. Was a pain because some of the bolts wouldn't go in all the way, so I made a homemade tap with my cutoff wheel and cleaned them out that way.

Then I realized I needed to put the oil pump shaft in before I bolted the oil pump on, so the pan came back off Got that installed, so now the oil system is ready for priming.

Comment

Didn't have much time this weekend, but got the lower intake manifold painted.

Comment

Working...
                                X