Net Neutrality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gwb72tii View Post
    sorry but your argument has been disproved by history. Go tell IBM that they were so big there could be no competitive threat to their dominance in tech.

you all put so little faith in capitalism. you all want a fix now as if the tech we have (yes even the internet) is frozen and will never change. LOL
    Come on George. A capitalist market is supposed to work no matter the technology. It is supposed to evolve (and benefit consumers) through competition. Which we have none of. It's basic economics.

What we have now is some perversion of capitalism which has no competition. And worse competition is being stifled, thus hampering development and improvement. Again, it's basic economics. Anyone with eyes can see the problem. We have 2 choices for ISP's where I live. And I'm one of the "lucky" ones. Most have 1.

Man I can't wait for Google fiber to get here.
    "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
    -----------------------------------------
    91 318is Turbo Sold
    87 325 Daily driver Sold
    06 4.8is X5
    06 Mtec X3
    05 4.4i X5 Sold
    92 325ic Sold & Re-purchased
    90 325i Sold
    97 328is Sold
    01 323ci Sold
    92 325i Sold
    83 528e Totaled
    98 328i Sold
    93 325i Sold

Comment

Originally posted by Schnitzer318is View Post

Man I can't wait for Google fiber to get here.
      you do realize you've made my argument, right?

I haven't argued there is competition, I've argued regulating the internet like a utility is the surest way to kill the possibility of competition. This is exactly what Obama tried to do.
      “There is nothing government can give you that it hasn’t taken from you in the first place”
      Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

I haven't argued there is competition, I've argued regulating the internet like a utility is the surest way to kill the possibility of competition. This is exactly what Obama tried to do.
        Do you know how long Google has been trying to get fiber infrastructure installed here? I proved MY point. You didn't post anything to the contrary. Just threw out a talking point about Obama regulating the internet... which yes, he did. And we were better for it.

The internet NEEDS to be regulated like a utility. Because it's just as important as one. Title 2 does not say that the only ISP available is run by a local municipality. Just that the infrastructure that serves that purpose is available to all competition. The fact there is no competition is the reason we need the regulation. If it were a fair market... I'd be on your side. And the IBM analogy is woefully unequivocal.

Title 2 also provides for a method of thwarting internet fast lanes, content blocking, etc, etc. When you buy electricity, do you want your service provider to say you can't use that electricity to run power tools while you work on your car? To do that you have pay for an extra "workman's" package. Sounds ridiculous right? Well the ISP's have done, want to do, and will do more. The only thing that stopped them in the past was Title 2.

Either you need to do more research into this issue, or you are not someone who gives a damn about the quality of service, availability of, and access to the internet. Instead of researching you are just touting the party line and throwing out your long held philosophies. I have no problem with belief systems... but like anything else in life they need to be reevaluated for relevance and applicability from time to time.
        "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
        91 318is Turbo Sold
        87 325 Daily driver Sold
        06 4.8is X5
        06 Mtec X3
        05 4.4i X5 Sold
        90 325i Sold
        97 328is Sold
        01 323ci Sold
        92 325i Sold
        83 528e Totaled
        98 328i Sold
        93 325i Sold

Comment

How do locally regulated monopolies provide competition?
          Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
          Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
          One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Guys, net neutrality has nothing to do with stifling competition. I don't understand where this line of reasoning comes from. ISPs already provide different speed options to consumers. If they could, a start up ISP is just as capable of entering the market now as they would be once net neutrality is repealed. It isn't about the free market at all; it's about access to information and it's about price hiking.

I repeat: Nothing about repealing net neutrality increases a start up ISP's ability to compete in the market.
            Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Originally posted by ELVA164 View Post
              Guys, net neutrality has nothing to do with stifling competition. I don't understand where this line of reasoning comes from. ISPs already provide different speed options to consumers. If they could, a start up ISP is just as capable of entering the market now as they would be once net neutrality is repealed. It isn't about the free market at all; it's about access to information and it's about price hiking.

I repeat: Nothing about repealing net neutrality increases a start up ISP's ability to compete in the market.
              Not entirely so. The FCC ruled in 2015 that local municipalities could provide broadband services if they wished. This superseded some state's laws that disallowed this. If it had nothing to do with stifling competition... the incumbent ISP's would not be throwing $$$ at having it repealed.

But yes, I agree... the ISP's primarily want to be able to charge the consumers (and content providers) as much as they want because they have a monopoly in their service area. I think the discussion just logically turns to antitrust behavior when discussing title 2 because it's happening and the ISP's want to keep their monopolies as long as possible.
              91 318is Turbo Sold
              87 325 Daily driver Sold
              06 4.8is X5
              06 Mtec X3
              05 4.4i X5 Sold
              90 325i Sold
              97 328is Sold
              01 323ci Sold
              92 325i Sold
              83 528e Totaled
              98 328i Sold
              93 325i Sold

Comment

looks as if the world is not coming to an end.
                The FCC ends net neutrality, and what happens? multiple companies start rolling out 5G networks, which is 50X faster than today's internet.

“There is nothing government can give you that it hasn’t taken from you in the first place”
                Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Oh wow. Last night I flushed a very long turd and and this morning "multiple companies start rolling out 5G networks". The cause to effect relation is as strong as net neutrality and 5G. ;-) Now, let me know what caused the implementation of 4G when only 3G existed back then and how it was related to net neutrality...
                  Last edited by Massive Lee; 02-27-2018, 08:49 AM.
                  Brake harder. Go faster. No shit.

massivebrakes.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Massiv...78417442267056

Comment

Yay more cancer with 5G

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

looks as if the world is not coming to an end.
                      The FCC ends net neutrality, and what happens? multiple companies start rolling out 5G networks, which is 50X faster than today's internet.

https://www.investors.com/politics/e...ust-proved-it/
                      You have no idea how our network infrastructure works do you? It's "50x" faster than what? Our shitty current "broadband." It's not 50x faster than gigabit. Plus, the range of 5g is shorter than 4g... So yeah, more ugly ass towers everywhere.

The telecom companies wanted this all along as it is cheaper to implement than a hardwired connection to the house. You know what it won't be? Reliable. And it probably won't even be "fast." But that's okay because ajit pai is writhing on lowering the standards of what "fast" is so they can still legally call it fast.

The net neutrality "debate" is one issue all party members should be able to agree on if only everyone would take off the party blinders and biases. Such a clear cut issue, yet there is still idealism running roughshod over common sense.
                      91 318is Turbo Sold
                      87 325 Daily driver Sold
                      06 4.8is X5
                      06 Mtec X3
                      05 4.4i X5 Sold
                      90 325i Sold
                      97 328is Sold
                      01 323ci Sold
                      92 325i Sold
                      83 528e Totaled
                      98 328i Sold
                      93 325i Sold

Comment

5G

l m a o

George posting the good memes.
                        1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
                        willschnitz

Comment

Originally posted by Schnitzer318is View Post
                          You have no idea how our network infrastructure works do you? It's "50x" faster than what? Our shitty current "broadband." It's not 50x faster than gigabit. Plus, the range of 5g is shorter than 4g... So yeah, more ugly ass towers everywhere.

The telecom companies wanted this all along as it is cheaper to implement than a hardwired connection to the house. You know what it won't be? Reliable. And it probably won't even be "fast." But that's okay because ajit pai is writhing on lowering the standards of what "fast" is so they can still legally call it fast.

The net neutrality "debate" is one issue all party members should be able to agree on if only everyone would take off the party blinders and biases. Such a clear cut issue, yet there is still idealism running roughshod over common sense.
                          yes and guess what, without government deciding who is a winner we might have someone bright enough with big enough balls to introduce something better if 5G or the next big thing turns out to be a dud.

You are not going to innovate when government gets in the middle. You should have a little patience and faith in your fellow man.
                          Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Innovation my ass, the whole push for wireless technology is because Service Providers can charge way more for it.

You keep making these grand claims about 'government intervention stifling innovation'. Then by your own claims about the internet being fine before the government stepped in, ignoring that ISP's dismissed innovation such as Fiber and WiMax for years because they have no incentive to provide better service. There is no competition cause they made it that way, and there is no reason to innovate when you can keep selling your 1Mbps 'Broadband' for 100$ a month.

Its absolutely hilarious how clueless you are when it comes to Internet Technologies and Net Neutrality, so far off base you don't even know what the core argument is about, thinking its just a measure to 'harshly regulate' ISP's unfairly.

Please just stop.

Luckily steps in the right direction are already taking place in many states, including Washington State.

FCC already got its ass kicked for trying to preempt that they could control municipal broadband, so the precedent is already set that they are unlikely to get headway challenging this.
                            Last edited by Wschnitz; 02-28-2018, 04:20 PM.
                            1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
                            willschnitz

Comment

Fuck 5G

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You are not going to innovate when government gets in the middle.
                                Interesting comment. Please explain your reasoning.
                                Brake harder. Go faster. No shit.

massivebrakes.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Massiv...78417442267056

Comment

Working...
                                X