No announcement yet.

Water Leaks = Fix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

im desperate to know the location of these rocker drains op mentions.. any pics of the little perforations in the sheet metal? I'm having a strange leak only in the rear right footwell area. i did some tests and found out that it was leaking from the windsail grommets holes into the wheel arch and into the rear footwell area if car was parked looking down, here are the pics

See the water drop in the rear hole

i did take the trim piece out and so the grommets, they were destroyed, i filled the holes with black rtv and inserted rubber bumps from an auto part plus taped over them to discard the leak they were causing. the leak stopped from there with the hose test. but for my surprise the next couple of days the carpet was soaked again!!
    I'm now thinking it might be the rocker drains, i did plastidip my rockers a month ago moreorless, and the problem started about the same time i figured later after reading this [post, and thought the plastidip may have covered the perforations...

any help is greatly appreciated guys, pics would be awesome

One of the best threads you will ever read
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=221813

Nice trailer of my e30
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTjtG...e_gdata_player

If i sold you something please leave feedback here
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=217142

Comment

Like many, I also have E30 water issues and although I don't have the problem solved yet, I have pulled the interior and partially identified where the water is leaking in. I've pulled apart the area under the wipers and identified there really wan't much of any dirt/debris in there. I did add an elephant trunk as mine was missing and this has changed nothing. Tempted to say my issue has got to be the rocker panel drains (or lack of) too. I'll include my pics as they may be useful for others.

Drivers side

Pass side

Comment

Guys where are these rocker drains????? Please

One of the best threads you will ever read
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=221813

Nice trailer of my e30
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTjtG...e_gdata_player

If i sold you something please leave feedback here
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=217142

Comment

Originally posted by NLM Hollywood View Post
          Like many, I also have E30 water issues and although I don't have the problem solved yet, I have pulled the interior and partially identified where the water is leaking in. I've pulled apart the area under the wipers and identified there really wan't much of any dirt/debris in there. I did add an elephant trunk as mine was missing and this has changed nothing. Tempted to say my issue has got to be the rocker panel drains (or lack of) too. I'll include my pics as they may be useful for others.

Drivers side

Pass side
          Yours look to be coming from up above, as you can see the water running down the footwell/firewall.
          Dry it out, and climb inside the car with a flashlight shining up above the pedals" have someone pour a bucket of water slowly into the grill under the window on the drivers side and see if that finds it. If it doesn't, pour a bucket on the windshield on the drivers side.
          Originally posted by codyep3
          I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
          2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
          1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
          1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
          2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
          2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
          2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
          2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
          2010 F650gs twin
          2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

The photos don't work anymore! is there any way I can see them?
            -1987 325is coupe(SOLD)
            -1990 325i sedan

Comment

All the photos on this page are still there. What are you looking for?
              Originally posted by codyep3
              I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
              2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
              1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
              1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
              2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
              2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
              2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
              2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
              2010 F650gs twin
              2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

Man i wish the pics would work now, i need to find my leak!

Edit see some now. I guess im gonna have to pull the carpet, i get a huge puddle on driverside in front and a tad in back and then the opposite on the passeneger side. Puddles in back and less in front.
                Last edited by E30vertPA; 01-21-2013, 04:22 PM.
                WTT: ACS Type 1 Wheels for something of same value for 4x100...

Comment

^ Probably rusty floorboard. If there is more water in the back than front. But not sure if you have more in the driver's front or in the back? Pulling carpet is definitely a good idea however it will be quite heavy if it is saturated and you won't really be able to pull it out all the way easily. When I finally pulled mine I just cut it out around the center console. Then again mine's a beater and I was a lazy teenager at the time.
                  West German BMWs, they just don't make the same as they did before the wall fell.
                  ^Case in point: Auto-Repair Technology. Everytime my car isn't starting or acting up I let it sit, sometimes for an hour, sometimes for days. But it eventually fixes itself.

Comment

Car is a '90 325is. I have the same problem as many here have described:

Driver and passenger rear carpet is soaked and the side wells of the trunk are filled with water (the left side has a huge block of ice right now)

I can see the holes for the front drains when I open the sunroof but I cannot see the rear drains from the sunroof. I can however see where the rear drains exit in the trunk.

Looking for advice here before I blow 100+psi air through the lines:

Should I try blowing the rear lines from the trunk and the front lines from the roof?
                    1990 535i
                    1990 325is
                    1989 635csi Turbo
                    1987 635csi

http://myautodesign.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by E30vertPA View Post
                      Man i wish the pics would work now, i need to find my leak!

Edit see some now. I guess im gonna have to pull the carpet, i get a huge puddle on driverside in front and a tad in back and then the opposite on the passeneger side. Puddles in back and less in front.
                      Your leaks Are coming from where the wiper motor is located. Pop out the plastic mesh cover and try to look closer to the fender, you will see there is seam sealer on the bottom that runs along the drain and I'm 99% sure that it is cracking on your car and that is where your leak is coming from.

To fix it: pull off your fender and you will see a triangular shaped cut out near the top right of where your fender was. Go to a Walmart or something and grab some quick seal and re-seal the seam sealer at the bottom of the drain where the triangle meets. This should fix your driver and passenger side leaks.
                      M30 is God's motor.....but Jesus drives an M60'd car -slammin.e28

Comment

Originally posted by NLM Hollywood View Post

Drivers side

Pass side
                        The same apply for you! I had the EXACT same leak, it is the seam sealer in your drain tray that is cracking.
                        M30 is God's motor.....but Jesus drives an M60'd car -slammin.e28

Comment

Sorry to bump an old thread! I have a question

I too have the famous leak that gets my interior floor boards wet and it drives me nuts. So I was thinking of an easy solution to keep the water out of the car.

Option 1 was to weld the sunroof (Disadvantage a lot of body work)

Option 2 Try to clean rocker drains and drill new holes (Disadvantage water would still be present in the rocker area and moisture will be present)

Option 3 Cut the front sun roof drains at the speaker area and attach a rubber hose that will go outside the car then seal off all the other holes.

Technically only about 10% of the water gets through the sunroof seal (if it’s a new seal) so in my opinion option 3 is the one to go with.

Anyone try this yet? Feedback appreciated

Comment

I know this an old thread but while trying to fix my door sills I took some pictures that may help someone out in the future. The rocker drains are along the pinch weld of the inner and outer sill. If there is water coming from the firewall area, they are not the problem.

The only place I had any rust around grommets from the firewall is where the hood cable comes thru. It is a bitch to get to but may be the problem if you have water coming down near the kick panel and your wiper area seam sealer is good.

Comment

where exactly are the rocker drains located on the car? any diagrams?

Comment

This is the best picture I could find...that shows exactly where everything is. Thanks Striker. I had read that the front sunroof drains dump out of the fender holes but they don't. They actually dump inside the rocker sills where the water eventually finds its way out through the two rocker drains. Problem is, they are hard to find and can easily be clogged or crushed. People who do bodywork on these cars probably don't put much thought into the sunroof drains.

1. I would replace and/or grease the sunroof gasket to minimize the amount of water that gets passed it.
                                2. Perhaps elongate the hose and enlarge the 'fore' drain so that the hose now dumps outside the car or just drill a new hole and rust proof it. I believe Luke mentioned this and it's a good idea if you live in a wet climate.
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by reelizmpro; 03-09-2014, 07:56 PM.
                                "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                                88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                                89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                                91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Working...
                                X