US Ellipsoids vs Euro Smileys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

US Ellipsoids vs Euro Smileys

I am restoring my 1990 325i to a nice standard. The metal headlamp frames are in only fair condition, with significant rust (they are 28 years old). While cleaning the headlamp area, two of the sealed beam lamps broke their tabs at the connectors from the wiring harness. I am taking this as an omen that I should replace the sealed beam setup with new headlights. I don't want to get used ones.

To this end, I have found new:
    1. Hella US ellipsoid lights from the local BMW dealer for $700 (both left and right sides) plus an unknown amount for the wiring connectors. These of course come with a 2 year warranty.

2. New Euro smileys from Denmark for $800 including shipping. These would require an additional amount (approx. $100 or less) for new connectors from BMW. I can not order these lights from my local dealer.

3. Finally, there are the Depo reproduction smileys for only $160 on eBay.

I like the smileys but also like ordering from my local dealer (they make everything right if there is the slightest problem).

I am having a very hard time deciding among these three options. Does anyone have an opinion as to which is the best value in terms of lighting efficacy as well as general desirability?

Thanks

$700 could buy you a whole new car lol.

I would stay away from the eBay repos.. they are cheap and I doubt you would be satisfied with the quality.

I have a set of Hellas in good condition with pigtails I could ship to you for $220.. pm me if you're interested.

If you want the best lighting look into some HID setups.

Comment

If you are considering spending $700-800 on new Hellas, then you probably won't be satisfied with the Depos. The build quality is not great.

However, I am running them in my 1990 as a replacement for my old sealed beams and I have had no issues with them. They look great, were easy to adjust and work as advertised. I actually bought new connectors for everything from Bav auto. The lighting pattern and visibility is waaaaay better than my sealed beams ever were.
      Thank god, R3V was getting boring since the ginger kid wrecked his car. - Stonea

Comment

If new lights are what you're after then for the money...DEPO's can't be beat. They are based on Hella Euro headlights so they use H1/H1 bulbs and if you break one, it won't be as painful. Try them out and if you don't like them you could always step up to Hella/Bosch lamps. They come with makeshift harness adapter that you can use with male spade connectors that allow them to plug into your existing harness.
        "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
        88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
        89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
        91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

For $240 and some old metal buckets you can install Hella sealed beam drop in replacements. You can run higher wattage bulbs and only $60 for a new housing when you get a stone chip.

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
            If new lights are what you're after then for the money...DEPO's can't be beat. They are based on Hella Euro headlights so they use H1/H1 bulbs and if you break one, it won't be as painful. Try them out and if you don't like them you could always step up to Hella/Bosch lamps. They come with makeshift harness adapter that you can use with male spade connectors that allow them to plug into your existing harness.
            Agree with this, for the people who say they the Depo's are junk they havent bought them. Are they as perfect as OEM, no but they are pretty damn good. This is from someone who spends a shit ton of money on my cars and tries to always buy OEM.

I converted my projectors to the Morimoto Bi Xenon ones though.
            Last edited by Staszek; 08-25-2018, 10:38 PM.
            Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

I have depo lights with the black cross inside the lamps. I think those are really great for the price. They look good, fit perfectly and the light pattern is much better than in the 30 year old worn out stock lights.

Comment

Personally, I would get Hella sealed beam replacements:

Brand new lights at a low price and a BIG upgrade.

Comment

I use Bosch smileys with high output 55W H1 bulbs and have measured visibility over a quarter mile. I've never understood why anyone needs more than that.
                  Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Originally posted by ELVA164 View Post
                    I use Bosch smileys with high output 55W H1 bulbs and have measured visibility over a quarter mile. I've never understood why anyone needs more than that.
                    I would agree, but worn out lights with hazy reflectors don't put out much light at all. I know from experience, sadly. New lights are a different story.

Comment

My main complaint about the Depo smileys is the electrical connections. They're not secured well into the housings and break off easily - all four of mine broke off just trying to plug them in the first time. Not the level of quality I expected for the price. Yeah, they're a lot less than OE, but they're still $80 per side, you'd think they would do a better glue job.

I also just plain don't love the look of the running lights (small bulb you can optionally put in the top) and the plastic looks and feels cheap. Otherwise, they fit right and they look okay, but they don't look original. There are some subtle differences like the color of the retaining rings that give it away. If you're looking for that completely restored look, you probably want OE. If you're looking for the best deal, look for used ones. The Depos aren't terrible but they're not worth the asking price.
                      Last edited by cscracker; 09-04-2018, 05:40 AM.

Comment

I haven't had any issues with the connections. OEM or aftermarket connectors work fine if you don't like the originals. Also, $80 per side is the cheapest option you will find. The prices for new OEM is $600-800+ and $300-400 for used and time is not on our side as they just keep getting older and the light output is diminished. Hell, just the adjusters that we often need to buy for OE used lights are $10-15 each so you have to put things in perspective.
                        "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                        88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                        89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                        91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewBird View Post
                          I would agree, but worn out lights with hazy reflectors don't put out much light at all. I know from experience, sadly. New lights are a different story.
                          I cleaned mine. I got Bosch because they didn't use plastic like Hella did.
                          Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Working...
                          X