No announcement yet.

Just bought this 1987 325is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I removed the interior. The rear seat was torn, the rear cards were poor, the driver's seat was broken and the passenger seat was rusted in place. That took some beating on just to get out. Also tossed some 90's stereo equipment.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2930.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	7189205

Name:	IMG_2936.jpg
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	7189206

Name:	IMG_2943.jpg
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	7189207

Comment

Seats:
      I happen to have some seats I bought from Summit a few years ago. They are still in their boxes. Looks like they will fit nicely.

Name:	IMG_2940.jpg
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	7189208

Name:	IMG_2942.jpg
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	7189209

Stock e30 seat - 45.1 pounds (balanced with my hand)

Name:	IMG_2937.jpg
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	7189210

Comment

Weights: I am just weighing some things for fun and future reference. I am not counting ounces and shaving seconds.

Comment

I am going to tackle this car in sections. The fuel system will get almost completely replaced. I removed the tank drain plug and nothing came out. Not thinking that I was lucky enough for the PO to drain the tank I poked the hole with a zip tie. This broke through the layer of crud in there and let about three gallons of ruined fuel drain out. Because the tank is a double bubble design I am concerned about not being able to inspect the other side. With that and the cheap price of new tanks I am just going to replace it. Since everything else has 155k mile on it I will replace all of it to start fresh. The fuel system I have come up with is overkill by double, but it is actually cost effective like this. I want a surge tank so the Bosch 044 is just an easy candidate.

Fuel layout.pdf

Comment

Did a little work on the spare wheel well rust today. Ground out more of the rust with a wire brush. Some went through more than I thought. Was going to repair little bits at a time. Figured I would just re do the whole thing. Probably easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a bead roller that I have never used before. This is my first attempt. I don't think Chip Foose will be calling me to join his team any time soon. Good practice though. I will weld it in tomorrow.

Last edited by HCMW Adam; 11-10-2016, 06:17 PM.

Comment

What does the new seat weigh?
                AWD > RWD

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
                  What does the new seat weigh?

The box says 18 kg. I will weigh the actual chair Monday and post that.

Comment

Had a son last year. Been busy at work. Back to work on the car now.

Comment

I have replaced most of the fuel system so far. Fuel tank, single Walbro 255, fuel filter, most fuel lines, fuel injectors, and fuel pressure regulator. I left the two fuel hoses under the hood just because they were baked onto the metal lines.

The starter was cranking strong and I had spark, but no starting. Checked the injectors by jumping the dme plug terminals. The injectors and wiring to them was good. Replaced the dme with an eBay unit. Getting closer. It tries to start but dies. Looks like fuel problem.

Going to replace last two fuel hoses under the hood and re-do the filter plumbing. One line might be linked where it bends toward the filter.

Last edited by HCMW Adam; 08-06-2018, 07:24 PM.

Comment

Before I got to fuel I had no electrical. Good battery, fuses and relays good, nothing obvious. Read some in here, ignition switch might be it. Pulled the steering wheel cover off. Bingo. Ignition switch was completely corroded. Replaced that and the dash lights up with the key in it. Starter turns over strong.

Comment

She runs!!!
                          Had a fueling problem. I used to oem rubber reducer when putting in my Waldron fuel pump. It split. I was checking every line. Finally removed the pump from tank and saw that. New rubber and some clamps got fuel flowing.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by HCMW Adam View Post
                              https://youtu.be/0qMblozt4ZQ

What a feeling

Congrats on the slow burn fix-up. I’m still going on the one I started about 3 years ago. I also had a son since then!

How’s it currently?

Comment

Just did this today. Removed the cartridge and old panel and put this fresh steel in place. Need to finish the welding all the way around as well as patch a rust hole on the other side of the roof.

Comment

Working...
                                X