Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Talk some sense into me - 318is - S/C or m50?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We’re building a stroker M42/44 mash up as well for one of the racecars. Custom pistons, stand alone, cams, ported head and valve size increase and we are just hoping for 200.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
    2016 Ford Flex
    2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Originally posted by E30 Wagen View Post
      Was I even talking to you?
      :popcorn:
      If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
        Well, the power numbers we get are probably maximum sort of qualification figures (if allowed per series rules), and while 315HP (max quoted gen 3 S42) from a 2.0L is very impressive we all know it's not likely to be sustainable or sensible for any mere mortal to build.

The main point of what I wrote earlier was to generally call BS on quoted figures. 257 is really a stretch, whereas if 220 had been the number I wouldn't have thought too much of it.

Very true, but that facebook dyno was also BHP, so most likely just an engine dyno, and it is supposed to be a race prepped engine, not for use on a street.
        257 BHP with stupidly high compression pistons, 7,500 rpm+ redline and race fuel seems reasonable to me. That's probably sub 220whp.

Metric Mechanic's claimed results on their M42 builds aren't terribly far away from that, and they're using pump gas.

Comment

MM's claims are most likely BS though.

so you could spend $10,000 building an engine with 200whp (maybe), or just enjoy it the way it is.
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Swap that bitch with a junkyard M50, euro waves, drop it some and clean up the iS lip.

wtf happened to this place?
            Drive it hard. Maintain it well.

Convertible Technical & Discussion
            A Topless Memorandum

Comment

yeah, put in a 200,000 mile, 30 year old junkyard engine that probably makes 15hp more than the M42 you're replacing. :p
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
              X