Are the OBC buttons removable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are the OBC buttons removable?

I am wondering if I can remove the OBC buttons without damaging anything. I don't recall ever hearing about this...most just replace the entire OBC. Figured I'd ask before I break anything.
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Id ask george graves, as he has taken apart switches and the like.

Please leave feedback below, thanks

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=358170

Comment

So I remembered I had a stripped OBC laying around and pry'd one of the buttons off. There's really no way to do it without marring the facia or damaging the button. The back of the button is flared to keep it from popping out making it virtually impossible to put back in without damage. It looks like one would have to completely disassemble the OBC to remove the buttons from behind.
      "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
      88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
      89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
      91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

and im sure stuff is soldered and plastic welded in place. worth a gander if its broken

Please leave feedback below, thanks

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=358170

Comment

I see no reason why not, you would have to completely open the OBC up though. I replaced the buttons and panel on the check indicator, wasn't too hard.

Nothing was plastic welded, however there were fragile plastic clips holding the casing together. Not a tragedy if they break, just use glue when you're done.

Comment

I have also successfully taken apart my OBC to replace the buttons. It's been awhile, but IIRC, they are all part of one 'pad' that lays between the actual buttons on the circuit board and the outer bezel. If you have an OBC with 'good' buttons, you can swap them over to one that doesn't - but it will require disassembly of the unit. It wasn't that bad to do, as I recall.
            -Geno

'87 325is (s52'd)
            '95 525iT
            '02 Range Rover 4.6 HSE
            '98 Disco 1

Comment

Yes- complete disassembly required, but it's not that bad.
              1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
              1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Matt-B View Post
                Id ask george graves, as he has taken apart switches and the like.
                Nope - I've taken them apart - but not to the button separation layer for an OBC - the tech inside them is quite old school and fun though. It's like a 1980's calculator on crack.
                Originally posted by Matt-B
                hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Working...
                X