LS1 Swap Kits/Parts List?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LS1 Swap Kits/Parts List?

is there a master list of all the places to get LS1 swap parts and what else would be needed in combination with the kit they sell? i feel like half the kits i see have a mostly complete kit but usually are missing like one piece

the main ones ive found are:

Sikky
    -still need to sort out brake options (they have a hydroboost option, or can go manual or booster relocation bought or fabbed yourself)
    -can add headers
    -didnt they used to sell a pnp wiring harness?
    E30-LS1 (if these are even made anymore)
    -needs oil pan, headers, wiring harness
    Garagistic
    -no full kit (at least last i checked) so needs pieced together
    -needs at least a wiring harness

still unsure of the best place to get a PNP (or mostly PNP) wiring harness

thinking of LS swapping and like to know all the options before diving in

Before you dive in. What's your budget?
    e30Ls1 Swap IG: 1dirty30

Comment

realistically under 10k, but if im being honest its a "ill have to get this car running eventually" sort of thing since its a clean e30 m3 chassis that i dont want to sell. im about at my wits end with the s52 thats in it trying to diagnose a problem. if its a then engine needs rebuilt kinda problem then ill probably part it out and teach myself how to build an engine on something thats much cheaper to rebuild and has more margin for error

i also have no time constraints so can spread out the costs. im also the kind of person that would prefer to spend a little more to do it right the first time and spend a little more to make the work a little easier

Comment

If I did it again I would go sikky it is the most complete overall kit since it also includes a driveshaft. Brakes are an issue everyone has with this swap and everyone has a different opinion of what is best. Most run manual brakes others like myself run hydroboost (although mine is bolted to the firewall not the same as the e30ls1 kit). Wiring a painless harness to your C101 is not that difficult that is who I would go with
        1989 325i LS Swap (Money Pit):https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=244933
        COTM Feb 2019: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=428404

Comment

Originally posted by Pootis View Post
          If I did it again I would go sikky it is the most complete overall kit since it also includes a driveshaft. Brakes are an issue everyone has with this swap and everyone has a different opinion of what is best. Most run manual brakes others like myself run hydroboost (although mine is bolted to the firewall not the same as the e30ls1 kit). Wiring a painless harness to your C101 is not that difficult that is who I would go with
          id like to run the relocated booster if possible to retain stock brake feeling since i feel like manual brakes would feel like doo doo. i thought about hydroboost but it seems expensive and complicated and ive never felt a hydroboost brake car.

are you saying just buy a painless performance wiring harness and pin it up myself?

Comment

Originally posted by Sladek View Post
            id like to run the relocated booster if possible to retain stock brake feeling since i feel like manual brakes would feel like doo doo. i thought about hydroboost but it seems expensive and complicated and ive never felt a hydroboost brake car.

are you saying just buy a painless performance wiring harness and pin it up myself?
            Hydroboost brakes are definitely different I won't deny that and while my setup ultimately is not that complicated it was a nightmare to run through my head how to make it work. The oddest things about hydroboost brakes have to be one that the brake pedal is very short from not being applied to full strength and the other is that the pedal does return but it is a lazy return not the immediate snap back you get with vacuum assisted brakes.

Yes if you cut the C101 plug off of your old harness you can find the pin out and solder the wires from the painless harness to it and then just pull the dead pins out
            1989 325i LS Swap (Money Pit):https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=244933

Comment

There are several ls builds on here where people listed the parts they used in the swap. There are so many ways to skin the cat, I don't believe any list will ever be "complete." What accessories are you wanting to keep? How "bolt in" do you want it to be?

Or, make yourself a list with the following categories and fill in the blanks with your choice.

Which Engine
              Which trans
              Engine mounts
              Trans mount
              Wiring harness
              Brakes
              Steering
              Exhaust/ headers/manifolds
              Radiator
              Hoses
              Guages
              Driveshaft and adapter

On another note. I know of an excellent BMW shop in Knoxville that would be able to get your s52 running correctly. You'd probably spend less than swapping to an ls.
              Current: '91 DS M3, '03 TS M3 (6MT)
              '06 Chevy 2500 Duramax - Race car hauler, '90 Corvette - Weekend toy
              Past: '88 AW M3, '87 RB M6, '98 CS M3, '88 DS M3, '88 Zinno M3, '88 AW SETA (facelift),
              1988 Super E (Bronzit - grey wrap)- RIP, 1986 353, 1986 VW Jetta (vr6) - Racecar

IG: RDE_Fabrications
              Check us out
              Or YouTube --> HERE;

Comment

Originally posted by sgtskid View Post
                There are several ls builds on here where people listed the parts they used in the swap. There are so many ways to skin the cat, I don't believe any list will ever be "complete." What accessories are you wanting to keep? How "bolt in" do you want it to be?

Or, make yourself a list with the following categories and fill in the blanks with your choice.

Which Engine
                Which trans
                Engine mounts
                Trans mount
                Wiring harness
                Brakes
                Steering
                Exhaust/ headers/manifolds
                Radiator
                Hoses
                Guages
                Driveshaft and adapter

On another note. I know of an excellent BMW shop in Knoxville that would be able to get your s52 running correctly. You'd probably spend less than swapping to an ls.
                this is what i've come up with so far to make it as close to bolt in as possible:

Which Engine = 5.7 aluminum block LS1
                Which trans = T56
                Engine mounts = sikky
                Trans mount = sikky
                Wiring harness = either sikky or DIY painless harness
                Brakes = up in the air still, ideally remote mount booster but requires the most work, ruling out hydroboost, manual brakes worst case but worry i wont like it
                Steering = custom or sikky steering shaft, would like to keep power steering but may go z4 rack swap
                Exhaust/ headers/manifolds = sikky headers, custom exhaust for the rest
                Radiator/hoses = hoping to adapt my current setup, mishimoto radiator w/pusher fan, but if not it sounds like an r32 radiator with CTSV hoses fits
                Gauges = i think stock should work with proper harness/wiring
                Driveshaft and adapter = sikky

reinforced subframe while im there. probably a secondary diff mount and rear reinforcements too. i'd like to hook up a/c too since its already r134 converted, so probably just need custom lines fitted.

how am i doing? i feel like im missing something lol

as for the s52, ive got a few more things left to check before i take it to someone. unfortunately knoxville is quite the hike but theres a good shop nearby ive been recommended. i mainly hope im missing something stupid and its not something major/mechanical

Comment

just remembered i have to figure out fueling too since i believe the 5.7 is a returnless system

Comment

I'm running stock pump and returnless all you need is a corvetted filter/regulator that is an easy one

Comment

Originally posted by Pootis View Post
                      I'm running stock pump and returnless all you need is a corvetted filter/regulator that is an easy one

so easy as this^?

Comment

Yep exactly

Comment

"Which Engine = 5.7 aluminum block LS1
                          Which trans = T56
                          Engine mounts = sikky
                          Trans mount = sikky
                          Brakes = up in the air still, ideally remote mount booster but requires the most work, ruling out hydroboost, manual brakes worst case but worry i wont like it
                          Steering = custom or sikky steering shaft, would like to keep power steering but may go z4 rack swap
                          Radiator/hoses = hoping to adapt my current setup, mishimoto radiator w/pusher fan, but if not it sounds like an r32 radiator with CTSV hoses fits
                          "

You're going to need more than 10k
                          e30Ls1 Swap IG: 1dirty30

Comment

Originally posted by Reyhan335 View Post
                            "Which Engine = 5.7 aluminum block LS1
                            Which trans = T56
                            Engine mounts = sikky
                            Trans mount = sikky
                            "

You're going to need more than 10k
                            ive got it roughly around 10k if im patient about finding a motor and trans. i know little things add up though. if 10k gets it running id be satisfied but again that isnt a hard limit for me since id prefer to spend a little more to make it easier. also will make at least a little back on the s52/everything i pull out of it.

Comment

Hope you are ready for all of this fun.....

Dyno on Monday

And here we are thursday

Comment

Working...
                              X