X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOLD: 1989 BMW E30 Track Car in Chicago

SOLD

For future reference this car sold for $5,000 on 10/27/2017

It's a bittersweet day. I've upgraded to a dedicated 335 track car and the e30 track car that I have co-owned for the past 4-5 years is for sale. I'll be up front: this is not a show car. It is a through and through dirty, workhorse track car. And I say that in the most endearing way.

The car was originally prepped for Spec E30 by the previous owner (less the full cage), but we've only run it in HPDE's since we've owned it. It is street legal and we've driven it to and from every track day. This has been an absolutely fantastic momentum car and is a great learner that teaches you how to find the limits of the car without biting back (ie: find yourself losing control). Parts are cheap and abundant with massive community support on here. Best of all... it's a throwback to the days when BMW made simple, lightweight, rear wheel drive drivers cars. To say that this will be missed is an understatement.

Last time out mid September, I ran a personal best at Blackhawk Farms of a 1:25.48 on the Toyo R888R's. Spec E30 track record is 1:24.27 on racing slicks. I'll just say that this can be a very quick car that has the ability to humble many cars with 2-3x the horsepower. Let's just say that a fair share of beginner and intermediate Mustang/Corvette/STi/Evo/etc drivers have come by after a session to ask "what's under the hood?" :D

Car located in Glen Ellyn, IL (45 minutes west of Chicago). PM if interested.

A few quirks:
    - The gauges act wonky because of a bad SI board (common issue with e30's). Can be replaced for $200.
    - It has paint chips and plenty of swirls/imperfections in the paint. Again, IT IS A TRACK CAR.
    - It has some rust in the typical spots (battery tray, lower front fender). Very confined and has been garage kept during my ownership.

List of modifications/recent maintenance:
    • Upgraded suspension (H&R springs, Bilstein shocks - Spec E30)
    • Upgraded IE sway bars (Spec E30)
    • AKG/Condor Speed Shop polyurethane bushings (trans, engine, subframe, etc)
    • Spec E30 exhaust (w/ aftermarket muffler)
    • 3.73 LSD
    • Hard mounted OMP RS PT2 Halo Race Seat
    • Racequip 5-point Harness
    • Kirk Bolt-in Roll Bar
    • 15" TR Motorsports C1 Wheels (with two spares)
    • Toyo R888R tires
    • PFC-08 pads
    • Z3 short throw
    • Upgraded Garagistic shift bushings
    • Gutted interior
    • Original 200k+ mile M20B25
    • Removed A/C, power steering and sunroof (sunroof delete)
    • New fuel tank 2015
    • New fuel pump 2016
    • New control arms 2016
    • New brake lines 2015
    • Timing belt replaced in 2014
    • ATE Gold Type 200 DOT 4 fluid

Video from her last trip to Blackhawk Farms Raceway (go to 8:37 to see the fastest lap - a 1:25.48):

Last edited by Sirdaft1; 10-31-2017, 11:59 AM.
    2007 Big Twin Turbo 335i + 1989 E30 Track Car

What size tires ? 15x8?
    NASA
    BMWCCA member
    PCA member 25yrs

1991 318IS slick top
    1997 M3 sedan
    2001 325CI DD

“whoever turns the wheel the least, wins"

Comment

Really cool car. Excuse me if I've simply missed it, but what are you asking?

Comment

Originally posted by ethurtee View Post
        Really cool car. Excuse me if I've simply missed it, but what are you asking?
        Sorry, added to the OP! $5k OBO

Comment

Originally posted by e30s50dan View Post
          What size tires ? 15x8?
          Yes sir. And we run her with a 205 square tire setup.

Comment

Sweet little track toy. GLWS :up:

form.follows.function IG @mplfoster

Comment

Pending sale.

Comment

Sold. New owner drove her straight through the night back to Virginia!

Comment

Congrats. Very nice and a very fair price...I’m glad it sold so I didn’t have to find room in my garage for another mouth to feed. Good luck with your new baby!

Comment

Working...
                  X