Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E38 Style 5 16x8 ET23 Fill and Drill - VR Wheels

Hey all!

Wanted to throw this up on here so folks had good pictures/info/pricing/etc.

I love e38 style 5s but didn't want to run adapters or go 5 lug due to offset/fitting a phat tire (and didn't have the coin for E30M suspension).

So I used VR Wheels out of City of Industry, CA for a fill/drill.

Customer service was pretty horrendous. Don't do this if you're in a hurry. I wasn't, so it didn't bother me.

Sent them in January 24th. Arrived back to me today, March 6th.

I think they did a great job. Holes were filled with weld, and the backs were machined for a clean mating surface. I'm going to run some spacers to push out the offset just a hair, but haven't figure out what size yet.

Pictures:

Last edited by AWDBOB; 03-13-2024, 04:58 PM.
    1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
    1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Im in the process of doing the same thing. My only concern with yours is not filling in the other holes. Not for a safety reason but a balancing issue. Have you got tire mounted and balanced yet? Any issues?

Comment

I live 5 minutes or so from them and their customer service in terms of communication is absolutely trash, you are correct.
      VR is good - but they are so far up their ass in work because they bite off more than they can chew.
      After my good friend's similar ordeal and frustration, we found a similar place to do the job instead for my brother's car to the specifications he asked for - he's stoked:

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Originally posted by Shftr8 View Post
        Im in the process of doing the same thing. My only concern with yours is not filling in the other holes. Not for a safety reason but a balancing issue. Have you got tire mounted and balanced yet? Any issues?
        I am awaiting lugs, spacers and tires before I mount them up! But I had similar concerns as soon as I saw the two holes that weren't filled. I doubt it'll make a difference, but I will report back as soon as I get them on the car.

Originally posted by ak- View Post
        I live 5 minutes or so from them and their customer service in terms of communication is absolutely trash, you are correct.
        VR is good - but they are so far up their ass in work because they bite off more than they can chew.
        After my good friend's similar ordeal and frustration, we found a similar place to do the job instead for my brother's car to the specifications he asked for - he's stoked:
        Yes, they seemed to be good at what they do! But it was obvious they bit off more than they could chew. I knew how it was going to be going into it, so I allotted more than enough time for them to take care of the wheels.

Those look incredible! They look like Keefers memoryfab wheels. I asked them about it and they didn't perform that service anymore. Where did he get them done?

The only thing that worries me about those is how thin the hub is after it is machined down. Do you know how thick it is?

Also, just for the sake of getting an idea, do you know what size spacers he ended up running?

I have 10F and 15R on order, and am going to run a 225/45.

Comment

Thanks for posting, especially the pricing info. I wouldn't be thrilled that they didn't fill the remaining holes, but otherwise looks good. That sure is a lot of time/money spent though, when you're going to run 10mm/15mm spacers anyway! Adapters go down to 18mm, so you're only gaining 8mm/3mm. But, I get it.

I'd like to get a set of the two piece 17x8 Style 5's filled and drilled to 4x100. Just haven't committed to buying a set and risking the ~$500 investment to have it done.

I'm also curious who did the above work.
          85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
          e30 restoration and V8 swap
          24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
            So I used VR Wheels out of City of Industry, CA for a fill/drill.

Customer service was pretty horrendous. Don't do this if you're in a hurry. I wasn't, so it didn't bother me.
            Originally posted by ak- View Post
            That must be why they never responded about my Futura's lol

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
            Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
              Thanks for posting, especially the pricing info. I wouldn't be thrilled that they didn't fill the remaining holes, but otherwise looks good. That sure is a lot of time/money spent though, when you're going to run 10mm/15mm spacers anyway! Adapters go down to 18mm, so you're only gaining 8mm/3mm. But, I get it.

I'd like to get a set of the two piece 17x8 Style 5's filled and drilled to 4x100. Just haven't committed to buying a set and risking the ~$500 investment to have it done.

I'm also curious who did the above work.
              You're exactly right, and at the end of the day, I did all of this just for that extra 8mm up front to fit a 225/45.....that I still haven't confirmed fitment on.

You could probably save yourself some $$ by fill/drilling the front and running adapters in the rear :)

Originally posted by lambo View Post
              That must be why they never responded about my Futura's lol
              Precisely! I eventually just shipped them my wheels and emailed until they responded haha.

Comment

You're exactly right, and at the end of the day, I did all of this just for that extra 8mm up front to fit a 225/45.....that I still haven't confirmed fitment on.

You could probably save yourself some $$ by fill/drilling the front and running adapters in the rear :)

Precisely! I eventually just shipped them my wheels and emailed until they responded haha.
                I just purchased a set of e38 style 5's myself and have been looking to have them filled and redrilled. I've been going off of Neil1138's old set (https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=347412) and it looks like 10mm all around works pretty well.

There's a place local to me that is a little bit more expensive for the fill and redrill, but would be about the same price if I were to ship them anywhere so i'll probably end up going with them.

Comment

Originally posted by ATL_E30 View Post
                  I just purchased a set of e38 style 5's myself and have been looking to have them filled and redrilled. I've been going off of Neil1138's old set (https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=347412) and it looks like 10mm all around works pretty well.

There's a place local to me that is a little bit more expensive for the fill and redrill, but would be about the same price if I were to ship them anywhere so i'll probably end up going with them.
                  Talk to kalib0y about your spacers and lugs! He hooked me up- I ended up with 10mm front/15mm rear and got the proper wheel bolts for the smaller lug holes.

His profile:

Comment

Pics!!!

Talk to kalib0y about your spacers and lugs! He hooked me up- I ended up with 10mm front/15mm rear and got the proper wheel bolts for the smaller lug holes.

His profile:

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/member.php?u=9925
                    Posts some pics! I'd love to see how it turned out!

Comment

Originally posted by ATL_E30 View Post
                      Posts some pics! I'd love to see how it turned out!
                      I'm still a few months out- this project turned into quite an adventure!

Comment

So you are putting 10MM spacers on the E38 wheels? Wouldnt that be super agressive on a 16x8 wheel, you are talking a et13, what size wheels are you running.
                        Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Originally posted by Staszek View Post
                          So you are putting 10MM spacers on the E38 wheels? Wouldnt that be super agressive on a 16x8 wheel, you are talking a et13, what size wheels are you running.
                          Yep, effectively running ET13 up front with a 225/45. It's pretty aggressive. That's on a 16x8.

I'll be running roughly -2.5-3* of camber up front and plan to have to do a pretty heavy roll/pull.

As much as I don't want to, I am considering running a 205/45 R888 up front and a 225/45 out back because they run pretty big.

Comment

i need you to try these on an ix....i've been wanting thes wheels for years, but the 8inch width i don't think will work...but i need a test mule!

I recently saw on IG a pic of an ix w these on....but no specs were given...and it was side-profile pic.
                            www.instagram.com/snwmble
                            #snwmble

Current:
                            '05 BMW M3 - Silver Grey/Imola Red
                            '90 BMW 325iX - Sterling Silver/Houndstooth sport(5-speed converted)
                            '15 Mini Countryman - Blazing Red/Carbon Black

Past:
                            '01 Audi Allroad - Light Silver/Platinum Saber Black
                            '88 BMW 325iX - Diamond Schwarz/Silver sport *Sold*
                            '01.5 1.8TQ - Brilliant Black/Nogaro Alcantara ...after 8.5yrs, *Sold* =(
                            '90 BMW 325i - Schwarz/Tan sport *Sold*
                            '89 BMW 325ix - Diamond Schwarz/Black sport *Sold*

Comment

Originally posted by audiquattrot View Post
                              i need you to try these on an ix....i've been wanting thes wheels for years, but the 8inch width i don't think will work...but i need a test mule!

I recently saw on IG a pic of an ix w these on....but no specs were given...and it was side-profile pic.
                              Anthony, when I bring the iX out to the Midwest with me I will test fit.

Your problem isn't the width, though, it's the non-ideal offset created by the required spacers! If you could magically mount them without spacers (used to clear front calipers) I think the 8" et23 would suit the iX nicely.

Comment

Working...
                              X