Need Help Installing Turbo on M20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Help Installing Turbo on M20

Hey everyone, I'm in the process of building my 90' 325is and really need help installing my turbo system and rebuilding my clutch. Id love to do the work myself, but i don't pretend that turbos are something I've worked on before, let alone something I can install on jack stands. With that being said, I'm really inclined to help with labor with someone who's educated on the matter. I basically have all my parts, excluding injectors atm, i just really need advice on someone/somewhere I can go to for a reasonable price. THIS IS A BUDGET BUILD. Unfortunately I am in college so I do not have the funds to put together a 5-8k kit and rebuild my whole motor. I've tried to source the best parts I can and get what I needed to make modest power goals to start (hopefully around 215/225 to start). Id really appreciate it if someone could direct me to someone or a shop who could help me at this point in my build, preferably located near the San Diego area. Additionally, id be running megasquirt v.3 if that's of any help.
    Last edited by HooptE30; 09-02-2017, 02:52 PM.

To elaborate more on what need's to be done in short: i need to replace my clutch to hold more power, install the entire turbo system with piping, sensors, and oil lines (intercooler, manifold, exhaust, turbo, bov and waste gate, ect.), install arp headstuds and do valve adjustment, new injectors and fuel pump, and wire up standalone ecu (megasquirt v3 with pnp adapter) along with gauges.
    Last edited by HooptE30; 09-02-2017, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Budget, college, and turbos do not mix. In addition if youre needing shop help, its going to cost some $$$.

These same questions have been covered 100 times, just search around.

Comment

Originally posted by TheTacoMan View Post
        Budget, college, and turbos do not mix. In addition if youre needing shop help, its going to cost some $$$.

These same questions have been covered 100 times, just search around.
        I have a reasonable amount of money saved, just not enough to afford a professional 8k+ build like aforementioned. It will be enough to cover reasonable labor cost, i was trying to be modest in what i was saying. I was hoping to be referred to someone, but thank you. Ill try the search bar again.

Comment

Ive built 2 turbo m20s in the past 2 years now, my own and another forum members.
          Both builds consist of megasquirt, a holset turbo, and alot of labor and parts re&re.

I built mine over a few months, as well as the other members over a few months too with alot of improved parts used on his car, but in the end I still think it took about 40+ hours from start to finish, and that doesnt really include much tuning.

I have well over 300 hours into my build, because sht takes time to fix/improve/mod/upgrade.

Budget build can be done but not if youre paying someone to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by TheTacoMan View Post
            Budget, college, and turbos do not mix
            lel

see sig

IG @turbovarg
            '91 318is, M20 turbo
            [CoTM: 4-18]
            '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
            - updated 3-17

Comment

i would do a compression test too... just to make sure your motor is still good.

also you should check out this thread if u havnt

spent the last few days looking through it and got a lot of good info on turbos
              Last edited by jameshoang; 09-22-2017, 12:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jameshoang View Post
                i would do a compression test too... just to make sure your motor is still good.

also you should check out this thread if u havnt

spent the last few days looking through it and got a lot of good info on turbos
                Head was rebuilt fairly recently, and everything else is probably about 6 months to a year old. ill probably do that after headstuds and new injectors are in though.

Ive followed kameron's thread for a bit, he's actually one of the guys who inspired me to do a turbo m20 build. A lot of valuable information, thanks

Comment

Originally posted by fergie View Post
                  Ive built 2 turbo m20s in the past 2 years now, my own and another forum members.
                  Both builds consist of megasquirt, a holset turbo, and alot of labor and parts re&re.

I built mine over a few months, as well as the other members over a few months too with alot of improved parts used on his car, but in the end I still think it took about 40+ hours from start to finish, and that doesnt really include much tuning.

I have well over 300 hours into my build, because sht takes time to fix/improve/mod/upgrade.

Budget build can be done but not if youre paying someone to do it.
                  I understand the amount of work that goes into these builds. I didn't really need opinions on my build, just looking for information from members to direct me to someone who can help potentially. Im not forced to pay anything if its something I think I can't afford.

Comment

You should probably start with your budget for labor.

Turbo builds take a fuck ton of time... in order to find someone thats willing to do this (because this will again... take a ton of time) it has to be worth it.

I'll tell you this much, I won't touch a turbo build for less than 10k because its such an involved process.
                    IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

Working...
                    X