Timing chain rattle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
    Found the rattle it was the spark plug wire heat shield vibrating. Also the rad isn't leaking Per say the bleeder valve just leaks in the tank is running out but when i closed the bleeder valve all is well no leaks or anything its perfect. So i'm just gonna run it
    Great news! So, what was your total spend, and what exactly did you service "while you were there" for future readers?

Comment

Timing chain rattle?

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
      Great news! So, what was your total spend, and what exactly did you service "while you were there" for future readers?

Total spend was around the 1200 dollar range. I did the radiator, water pump, thermostat, radiator hoses, the water pipe on the block, 19# pound 4 pintle injectors and chip since I had the intake pulled and was cleaning up the mess under it which is extremely easy just looks confusing. And then of course the timing components including the defector sprocket. I opted to not do the timing case gasket that came with my kit just the front covers and the only reason i didn't is because it showed no signs of leaking and i don't like replacing gaskets that aren't leaking because you never know if the one you put on will hold. I also got an oil filter stand gasket. Along with a new ICV hose.

Pics

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
      1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
      Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
      Mtech 2 turbo restoration
      Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Wish I would have seen this before you did all that work. The first thing I thought when I watched the video was "thats a heat shield rattle".

I've experienced that sound numerous times on numerous cars.
        Your resource to do-it-yourself and interesting bmw and e30 stuff: www.rtsauto.com

Your resource to tools and tips: www.rtstools.com

Comment

Originally posted by noid View Post
          Wish I would have seen this before you did all that work. The first thing I thought when I watched the video was "thats a heat shield rattle".

I've experienced that sound numerous times on numerous cars.

Honestly though. With the way the old tensioner looked and the long guide looked its safe to say I was driving a ticking bomb and probably prevented a catastrophic failure. Not to mention it was in the plans for things to do just maybe sooner then originally planned but glad I did it nonetheless.

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

Quick update. Put about 100-150 miles on the car with out issues as far as the components themselves. How ever I have developed an oil leak that is either coming from the profile gasket that joins the two covers or the lower part of the timing cover. I do believe it's the passenger side of the profile gasket but I am warranting them through FCP and just putting new gaskets in with some different RTV as I think mine didn't hold for some reason. I should have the new seals in mid next week.

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

It can be hard to tell if it is coming from where the profile gasket ends meet since the hot oil runs and leaves very little up there. But yeah, if you didn't put RTV where the ends butt together, then good call on re-doing the assembly.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

So i got the car all ripped apart and back together and I’m having kind of an odd issue. Upon start up the car idles like crap it idles low and feels like it has a bad mis. The ABS, brake fluid and battery light all come on and stay on until i touch the throttle just enough for the car to read an input then they go off and the car idles fine except it does seem like throttle response isnt as good and so is idle once off the throttle then after a second or two it smooths back out. This really has me confused all i did was the timing cover gasket so the only thing unplugged was crank and cam sensor they are plugged in correctly and car ran like a top before gasket was done just an oil leak. Timing couldnt have skipped a tooth i never messed with the chain just popped covers off put new gaskets on and re assembled

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

Engine ground strap?

The ABS, brake and battery lights coming on makes no sense to me though.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Sounds like alternator output is low at idle.

Comment

Originally posted by bmwman91 View Post
                      Engine ground strap?

The ABS, brake and battery lights coming on makes no sense to me though.

Thats what has be confused too. Engine ground is connected i never messed with it.

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
                      Sounds like alternator output is low at idle.

Will bench test alt and see what i get.

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

Here is a video of the issue

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

Working...
                        X