Offsets explained

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Offsets explained

Will somebody explain offsets to me and list the different offsets for the different e30s. I have searched and read and I just don't understand how they work and what the + and - of running higher offset as opposed to a lower offset etc.
    sigpic

There is prob a better way to explain then this but i will try. the lower the offset the farther the wheels will stick out, the higher the further they are in. fwd cars have a higher offset than an e30 would have so spacers are used to create a lower offset for our e30s. Just picture a stereotypical mexican car with wheels that stick out, they have very low offset wheels.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-h...wE3UqwjjmaTrXg

Comment

Read up sonny. ;)
      '91 318is
      sigpic

Comment

I had read that tirerack writeup before. I was hoping some people could expand. Here are a few of my more specific questions.

So would you need to run a different offset with wider wheels? If I run too high of an offset my wheels would rub the struts, correct? What are the ill effects of running to low of an offset other than rubbing on the outer wheel wells? And again, what are the stock offsets for different e30s?
        sigpic

Comment

So how would you fit a zero offset rim on an e30?

Comment

Originally posted by B2ThaZiZza
            So how would you fit a zero offset rim on an e30?
            With fender flares.

Darkwing, with wider rims you need to space the wheel farther from the strut, IE a lower numerical offset. For instance, my rims are 7" and I am running 20mm offset rims and stock bottlecaps are 35mm. Basketweaves are 30mm.

The situation is reversed once you get to negative offsets like some Porsches run. Higher numerical, farther from the fender. You will never run a negative offset on an E30 though.

EDIT: I forgot to add that you can use spacers on high positive offset rims to bring them closer to the fender/farther from the strut. My rims are 40mm with 20mm spacers, therefore an overall offset of 20mm.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

So is it better to keep your wheels with as high an offset as you can run without rubbing? If so, why?
              sigpic

Comment

Neither way is better per se. You don't want any rubbing at all, but it LOOKS better have as LOW of an offset as possible without rubbing. I have a ton of spacer between my struts and the tires, but barely any space between the fender and the tire. No rubbing either way, but it looks a ton better to have the tire right up against the fender.

RISING EDGE

Comment

Could you post different widths of wheels with what offsets would work on our cars?
                  sigpic

Comment

Browse this forum and you will find all the info you need.

RISING EDGE

Comment

check out the kosei 15x8... post it has the proper size kosei's that fit. you can probably get an idea of what you need from that.

Most wheels will require a spacer to fit properly.

Comment

Originally posted by DrMcDave
                        Most wheels will require a spacer to fit properly.
                        WTF?? This is 100% NOT true.

You guys are making offset alot more complicated than it needs to be. Offset is the measurement of how far off center the wheel mounting surface is. "Wheel mounting surface" is simply the center of the wheel, where the wheel meets the hub, that has the lug nut (or bolt) holes in it.

Basically, you start at the center line of the wheel- exactly 1/2 way from front lip to back lip- and measure how far it is from that centerline to the wheel mounting surface, and that's your offset. A zero offset wheel will have the wheel mounting surface exactly in the center of the wheel width. High offset wheels have the wheel mounting surface farther from center than lower offset wheels.

Offset varies with wheel width, and nothing else. (this does not mean that any wheel with the same offset, but different diameter, will fit the car the same way........as the wheel rim will sometimes hit suspension pieces with one diameter wheel, but clear just fine with a different diameter wheel)

Offset is usually measured in millimeters, and shown as "ETXX" where the "XX" represents the offset measurement.

Somewhere around here I have a list of stock E30 wheel offsets- I'll edit or post back if I find it....

Bret.

Comment

Originally posted by Rigmaster
                          WTF?? This is 100% NOT true.

You guys are making offset alot more complicated than it needs to be. Offset is the measurement of how far off center the wheel mounting surface is. "Wheel mounting surface" is simply the center of the wheel, where the wheel meets the hub, that has the lug nut (or bolt) holes in it.

Basically, you start at the center line of the wheel- exactly 1/2 way from front lip to back lip- and measure how far it is from that centerline to the wheel mounting surface, and that's your offset. A zero offset wheel will have the wheel mounting surface exactly in the center of the wheel width. High offset wheels have the wheel mounting surface farther from center than lower offset wheels.

Offset varies with wheel width, and nothing else. (this does not mean that any wheel with the same offset, but different diameter, will fit the car the same way........as the wheel rim will sometimes hit suspension pieces with one diameter wheel, but clear just fine with a different diameter wheel)

Offset is usually measured in millimeters, and shown as "ETXX" where the "XX" represents the offset measurement.

Somewhere around here I have a list of stock E30 wheel offsets- I'll edit or post back if I find it....

Bret.
                          You don't have to change the width to change the offset though. Stock bottlecaps are ET35 and basketweaves are ET30. 15" eurobaskets are ET24.

RISING EDGE

Comment

Originally posted by Digitalwave
                            You don't have to change the width to change the offset though. Stock bottlecaps are ET35 and basketweaves are ET30. 15" eurobaskets are ET24.
                            you are crazy

you say you like them right up against your fenders? well if you were running 8" rims, you WOULD have to change the offset to bring them in.
                            this topic isnt that hard, going overboard here guys

Comment

Originally posted by xLibelle
                              you are crazy

you say you like them right up against your fenders? well if you were running 8" rims, you WOULD have to change the offset to bring them in.
                              this topic isnt that hard, going overboard here guys
                              You can't just bring an offset "in", to sink a wheel into the fender like the way you're saying would require you to shave away at the wheel.

In order for an 8" rim to fit, you would need to have an offset of around ET15 or ET10, any lower of a number, and you would need some kind of flares.

And yes, having the wheels flush with the fenders is a lot more attractive and advantageous handling wise (if they don't rub) than say, a cavern of space between the wheel and outer wheel well.
                              R.I.P 07/01/09 - 04/23/10 :(

Comment

Working...
                              X