Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bilstein HDs... bump stops and dust boots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bilstein HDs... bump stops and dust boots?

I'm about to order a set of Bilstein HDs for my 318is. Does anyone know if these come with front and rear bump stops? It appears the fronts have the blue accordion dust boots, but I don't see any on the rears. I assume I'll have to order some OE rear dust boots (and possibly bump stops).

If someone can shed some light on what is needed I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Mike, don’t have an answer for your original question but some input on the HD’s. When I had them on my 325e coupe they road pretty darn harsh. I switched to Koni yellows and would now never turn back.

Can’t speak for Bilstein sports however. If I remember correctly Jeff from R3v also had a similar experience when he had HD’s.

-Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1992 M tech 2 Convertible - S50 Swap
    1992 e34 Touring- S50 Swap
    1992 325i-S50 Swap (SOLD)

1995 e36 M3 Mugello Red - S50 (SOLD)
    1991 325i Convertible Laguna Green (SOLD)
    1987 325i (SOLD);1992 M tech 2 Convertible (SOLD)
    1988 325i Convertible Alpine White (SOLD)
    Brilliantrot Convertible 80k Miles (SOLD)
    1992 325i Convertible Schwarz (SOLD)
    1992 318i Convertible Project-Finished (SOLD)

Comment

Originally posted by KIRIEIW View Post
      Mike, don’t have an answer for your original question but some input on the HD’s. When I had them on my 325e coupe they road pretty darn harsh. I switched to Koni yellows and would now never turn back.

Can’t speak for Bilstein sports however. If I remember correctly Jeff from R3v also had a similar experience when he had HD’s.

-Kevin

Thanks for the input. That is disappointing to hear. I'm really just looking for something that will work nicely with the H&R OE Sports (50404-55), which on a 318is should be close to factory ride height.

From what I've read, the E30 specific Bilsteins HDs and Sports have the same valving, but that's not the case for all applications. I figured with a close to stock ride height, the HDs would be best.

Do you happen to have part #s for the front and rear Konis? Looks like there are a few different types.

Comment

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post
        Thanks for the input. That is disappointing to hear. I'm really just looking for something that will work nicely with the H&R OE Sports (50404-55), which on a 318is should be close to factory ride height.

From what I've read, the E30 specific Bilsteins HDs and Sports have the same valving, but that's not the case for all applications. I figured with a close to stock ride height, the HDs would be best.

Do you happen to have part #s for the front and rear Konis? Looks like there are a few different types.

The OE sports should be a pretty good option but like you said, most likely won’t lower the car too much but of course must be better then 30yr old springs!

Sadly I don’t have the part numbers off the top of my head for the Koni’s. When I changed over though I went with the Koni yellow adjustable’s which offer custom dampening (you just turn a little “valve” at the top of the shock, takes 3 seconds to adjust each shock). Definitely happy with them and I’m sure you would be too.

1992 M tech 2 Convertible - S50 Swap
        1992 e34 Touring- S50 Swap
        1992 325i-S50 Swap (SOLD)

1995 e36 M3 Mugello Red - S50 (SOLD)
        1991 325i Convertible Laguna Green (SOLD)
        1987 325i (SOLD);1992 M tech 2 Convertible (SOLD)
        1988 325i Convertible Alpine White (SOLD)
        Brilliantrot Convertible 80k Miles (SOLD)
        1992 325i Convertible Schwarz (SOLD)
        1992 318i Convertible Project-Finished (SOLD)

Comment

For the Bilstein Sport and HD shocks, the front struts utilize an internal bump stop. The rear Bilstein shocks use an external stock style bump stop with the OE dust boot.

I have to agree with KIRIEIW that the Koni Sports are the better all around shock for ride quality. On the 318is, the part numbers Koni's site and Tire Rack list are 8641 1210 for the front struts, and 80 2641 for the rear shocks. The Koni shocks use external bump stops front and rear.

I currently have Bilstein HD with H&R OE Sport springs 50404-55 on my 318is and they work fine for daily driving (even with a 6-cylinder in the car now), but I still think Koni Sports are the way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by KIRIEIW View Post
            The OE sports should be a pretty good option but like you said, most likely won’t lower the car too much but of course must be better then 30yr old springs!

Sadly I don’t have the part numbers off the top of my head for the Koni’s. When I changed over though I went with the Koni yellow adjustable’s which offer custom dampening (you just turn a little “valve” at the top of the shock, takes 3 seconds to adjust each shock). Definitely happy with them and I’m sure you would be too.

Thanks for the info!

Originally posted by mtech325 View Post
            For the Bilstein Sport and HD shocks, the front struts utilize an internal bump stop. The rear Bilstein shocks use an external stock style bump stop with the OE dust boot.

I have to agree with KIRIEIW that the Koni Sports are the better all around shock for ride quality. On the 318is, the part numbers Koni's site and Tire Rack list are 8641 1210 for the front struts, and 80 2641 for the rear shocks. The Koni shocks use external bump stops front and rear.

I currently have Bilstein HD with H&R OE Sport springs 50404-55 on my 318is and they work fine for daily driving (even with a 6-cylinder in the car now), but I still think Koni Sports are the way to go.
            Thanks! So I'd need to order factory bump stops and dust boots with the Konis, correct? The previous owner didn't opt to reinstall those with the current installed setup.

Comment

Yup, new boots and bump stops, and any other refresh items you feel necessary like strut mounts and rear shock mounts with reinforcement plates etc.

Comment

Originally posted by mtech325 View Post
                Yup, new boots and bump stops, and any other refresh items you feel necessary like strut mounts and rear shock mounts with reinforcement plates etc.
                Thanks! Yep, I plan on getting new spring pads (7.5mm)
                and hardware in addition to new mounts.

Comment

I've had 2 sets of OE Sport springs and both were with Bilstein Touring dampers. As mentioned, the OE Sport is a stock replacement spring with minimal lowering and pairs extremely well with the Tourings which are also a stock replacement only with slightly firmer damping. They are also a fraction of the cost of the HDs.

I'm also a fan of Koni and will never go back, however, the Koni Sports are for a lowered car so may not be ideal with OE Sports. As for dust boots I picked up a will call set at Bilstein in NC and was told by their tech rep that dust boots are a good idea but not essential to shock life.
                  Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                  Alice the Time Capsule
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                  87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
                    I've had 2 sets of OE Sport springs and both were with Bilstein Touring dampers. As mentioned, the OE Sport is a stock replacement spring with minimal lowering and pairs extremely well with the Tourings which are also a stock replacement only with slightly firmer damping. They are also a fraction of the cost of the HDs.

I'm also a fan of Koni and will never go back, however, the Koni Sports are for a lowered car so may not be ideal with OE Sports. As for dust boots I picked up a will call set at Bilstein in NC and was told by their tech rep that dust boots are a good idea but not essential to shock life.
                    Thanks, Jeff! I was wondering about the shock length of the Konis paired with the stock(ish) height springs. I may just go with the Bilstein Tourings then!

Anything is going to be better than what the previous owner installed (Stagg springs and shocks). While the Stagg ride height looks good, the spring rates are very soft and the shocks aren't great.

Part of me wants a more aggressive track-oriented setup, but ultimately I'm only attending 3-4 HPDEs a year and I'd rather have something more enjoyable on the street. It sounds like the H&R OE Sport springs paired with Bilstein Touring shocks will perform a bit better than the stock setup (and certainly better than what's on the car now).

Comment

Working...
                    X