Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Restoring my 1991 318is to it's factory glory. What do I need?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Restoring my 1991 318is to it's factory glory. What do I need?

I recently purchased a 1991 318is with approx 131k miles. The suspension is completely shot. Feels like a boat in the ocean when you drive over a hump in the road. One thing it does have going for it is tight and responsive steering.

I'd like to restore the suspension to factory quality or better but retain stock ride height. This car will be undergoing a complete restoration this winter and a glass out paint job next spring. No expense will be spared.

While I wait for the car to arrive in Alaska I'd like to get some parts headed this direction.

I'm sure this question has been asked a million times already, so one more wont hurt :D

What shocks and struts should I order and what should I preemptively plan on replacing while I'm in there?

Debating whether or not it would be prudent to replace the factory springs. Issue I'm running into is all the ones on the market seem to lower the car which I absolutely do not want to do.

My sedan has stock springs with Bilstein HD shocks (meant for OE applications & has the same valving & compressed length of the Sport Shocks iirc) and rides as comfortable as they get. The shitty roads in Long Beach are hardly felt unless it's really bad.

In contrast, My recently acquired 325is is on H&R Sports/Bilstein Sport Shocks and I absolutely love it. Ride comfort is not sacrificed what-so-ever, feels nice & sporty and takes on twisties and turns much more confidently.

I personally would consider Bilstein HD Shocks with H&R OE Sport Springs for your application.
    Transaction Feedback
    Various E30 Parts for Sale!
    Z3 Steering Racks for Sale!

Current Fleet:
    -1987 Delphin Grey 325iS
    -1989 Bronzit Beige 325iS

Comment

I had posted a similar topic before and I'm finally getting around to ordering parts a year later. I'm going with H&R OE Sport Springs (50404-55) and Bilstein HDs (and new top hats, etc).

Previous thread (with photos): https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=414714

Comment

So, after some more research and advice from R3V forum members, I'm going with the H&R OE Sport Springs (50404-55) and Bilstein Touring shocks. The feedback on the Bilstein HDs is that they are too harsh and the Koni Sports won't pair well with a stock-height spring.

Comment

Not meaning to steal the post.
          I have a stock 325i. I installed 17” wheels recently and wanted to lower it a little bit. It is soft right now. So would this set mentioned above give me some height drop without sacrificing the comfort?
          Or what else do you guys recommend?
          Last edited by Nalex; 10-17-2018, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X