#BecauseRaceCar Story and Build - M60 6-spd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Balleristic31 View Post
    Very fun build to go through! Keep it up and I hope to see you sometime out at the track!
    I do open track days with NCRacing.org, will be out at Laguna Seca on May 24th and June 8th.

Originally posted by kts View Post
    Great build so far!

I really like your custom cooling ducts and reusing the old brake shields to make them. I'm tempted to replicate your design for my car.
    Thanks! Its very simple, and there is just enough room to do 3" brake ducts, if I were to redo it i would do custom inlets on the bumper/valance and do 2.5"
    sigpic
    The "Because Race Car" M60 V8 Build Thread
    On Instagram Straight Flexin' #BecauseRaceCar

Comment

Track Day #4 - Thunderhill Raceway

Back to Thunderhill with a completely different setup.. I was able to shave 15 seconds off my previous times!

After the track day..

Shakedown Results:
      - Grip very improved by different wheel/tire setup
      - Steering feels loose when corning very hard (destroyed LCA bushings)
      - Aerodynamics are horrible
      - Need to lose more weight

This is what i am going to be up against this year..
      Turbo Time Attack Miata.. this things was already on rails pulling away from me on the corners with just the rear diffuser and a bone stock motor..

So i came across this and its a beauty..

Decide to do some research about Aerodynamics..
      Vortex Generators come up, since the E30s have a steep rear window.. Even the E30 M3 has a different window that has more of a slant to it to improve aerodynamics.

Basically the last images explain what is happen against the rear window:

More reading material explaining whats going on:

So I added some, the real kind.

Then she lost ~50lbs with the removing the rear bumper and added a center exit exhaust with a Flowmaster Super 10.. ugly i know..

Some paint and much better ;D
      and whats that on the trunk now???

That would be a sweet ducktail style spoiler!

So if my calculations are correct.. the VG (Vortex Generators) will spiral air down against the window onto the trunk and the ducktail spoiler will create some downforce on the back to keep the lighter back end stable.. I will have to do some tuft test to know for sure, but i want to finish all the aero additions first before doing tuft tests..

Also in addition I built a custom rear diffuser out of Alumalite that complete seals off the back end of the car.. the diffuser is going from the top of the cooling fins on the diff to almost each shock and all the way to the very back..

The rear diffuser is going reduce drag by a substantial amount.. i can already feel a difference on the freeway, it really is unbelievable how much this thing works..

To help with the sloppy steering feeling, I replaced the LCA bushing/mounts with the Solid Bimmerworld TrackCAB.. A huge difference felt right away.. and it changed the Bushing location from a center to offset (like the M3)I also aligned my E30 to the M3 EVO specs.. But I am running 2.5* camber in the front and 3.4* camber in the rear..

and this pic just cause..so much badass... the subie is my daily :devil:

Next on the list:
      - Redo front end
      - splitter
      - side skirts
      - modify front fenders
      Last edited by ncrmtrsprtsE30; 05-18-2015, 10:06 PM.
      sigpic

Comment

This sunday I am doing another shakedown of my new aero setup at Laguna Seca.. will post results next week
        sigpic

Comment

Dude...I am LOVING your build thread! So much win! I have been wanting to play around with vortex generators on my track car - I will be watching here for results.

Where did you pick those babies up?

Also, any plans to run front splitter?
          Originally posted by LJ851
          kingston is the play by play announcer for this thread.
          ‘Tis by the grace of God that my cars run!

Originally posted by unloadedak
          #teamross
          Siobhan's Build Thread - UPDATED!

Comment

Originally posted by kingston View Post
            Dude...I am LOVING your build thread! So much win! I have been wanting to play around with vortex generators on my track car - I will be watching here for results.

Where did you pick those babies up?

Also, any plans to run front splitter?
            Got the VGs on fleebay.. there is only one seller that sells the legit kind that will make a difference and are not just for looks..

I am going to run a front splitter.. that is next for the aero, I might be able to fit it in between my 2 track days.. I have to come up with something though.. lol
            sigpic

Comment

this build is awesome, keep it up!
              Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Trust me it stock :yawn:

Comment

sub'd
                '87 cabby parting
                sigpic92' calypso cabby preparing for storage

Comment

Well Laguna Seca killed her... updates soon..
                  sigpic

Comment

:(

Comment

havent you already been there?
                      '87 cabby parting
                      sigpic92' calypso cabby preparing for storage

Comment

nooooooooo!

i just read the entire thread and was so excited the whole time :(

2003.5 Imolarot M3: daily
                        1995 Alpinweiß M3: hpde

Comment

What?!?! I need to see pic this has me sad

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                          1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                          Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                          Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                          Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Originally posted by ncrmtrsprtsE30 View Post
                            Well Laguna Seca killed her... updates soon..
                            noooooooo! :(

Comment

Originally posted by gmont02@yahoo.com View Post
                              havent you already been there?
                              Originally posted by unloadedak View Post
                              nooooooooo!

i just read the entire thread and was so excited the whole time :(
                              Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
                              What?!?! I need to see pic this has me sad
                              yeah ive been to laguna before..

The morning fog made everything wet

The body is fine you guys!!!

The motor on the other hand, is kaput.. there is a demon in it right now.. (I will upload video)
                              Here is how my day went...

Session 1 - 4 laps - Everything is good, but it feels a little low on power.

Session 2 - .5 lap - Get out in pit lane and it is sputtering hard when I'm pressing the throttle.. it doesnt want to go anywhere.. I can even make it up the crest.. I turn off the car and restart it and bam all its power back.. so i go for it.. taking an easy on it.. make it past turn 6 and it starts cutting out on me, zero power, sputtering to almost completely stop BUT it can still idle.. (at this point i think its a fuel filter) I pull off the track and sit for maybe 30 seconds.. then I have full power again and able to bring it in..

Session 3 - .5 lap - Starts up fine, get out there but it now it kinda starts to stutter between turn 3-4, then stuttering more from 4-5 and then dies right after turn 5.. and again almost complete stop finally coming to a stop before turn 6.. turn it off and restart it, power again through turn six.. anddd it lost power agian sputtering to a stop, not enough power to move the car.. restart it again.. then i have enough power to move it off track.. sit there idling just fine for 10 min (until the end of the session cause i cannot see back over the crest to see if a car is coming and dont want to limp on the track with a GTR coming at 100mph on my ass.. lol) i have my power back and get through the corkscrew where it sputters like shit again, but its down hill now and i am able to coast back into the paddock..

Session 4,5 - no track time - try to figure this demon out.. but no luck.. its constantly sputtering and at a steady 1/4 - no load - it back fires through the exhaust and intake! sometimes having a uneven idle..

then to top it off, at the end of the day, It wont even start so i could put it on the trailer.. so i push it on.. get home and it starts right up but is sputtering still (maybe cause it was cold though)..

Was maybe thinking the moisture did something to the electronics, but that wouldnt make sense since it was dry by my first session, and everything was fine.

so what I and other people think it may be:
                              - ECU
                              - Coil
                              - Something in the ignition system
                              - maf
                              - coolant sensor
                              - vacuum leak
                              - spark plugs
                              - cap/rotor

if anyone has any input, it would be very appreciated.
                              sigpic

Comment

Hmmm sputtering sounds like a possible fuel pump?? Maybe try tapping on the top of the pump with a screwdriver when you hear it start to die. If it kicks back to life, there is your culprit. Any check engine light? With no light, I would find it hard to believe it's the DME, MAF, O2 sensor, etc., but I could be wrong. (Fault codes here: http://www.e30zone.net/e30zonewiki/i...ic_Fault_Codes) Good luck finding the issue. I hate the gremlins...I've been there man and I feel your pain.

Side topic: I am local so we should definitely meet up sometime. You ever attend any local meets?

1991 LS1 Swapped 318is
                                Instagram:
                                https://instagram.com/saltybeast/
                                LS Build Thread:
                                https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...s-e30-ls1-swap

Comment

Working...
                                X