What are good spring lengths & rates for E30 Ground Control w/ M50

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by varg View Post
    It blows my mind when people say H&R Race or similar is too stiff when I comfortably DD a car with 450lb/in front and 650lb/in back, and Koni SA shocks. I don't think you could go much higher than this with Koni SAs though unless you had them revalved.

It’s completely subjective. I have 450/600 with Koni SA’s, UUC swaybars, and all new/urethane bushings on the entire chassis on my v8 e30. When I was 18, I would have said the ride quality is just fine. I’m 32 now, and it is in no way “comfortable”. Fun, yes. Easy on the back, no.

Go to the e34 forums, this same discussion happens, but the guys complaining are doing so about H&R sports. I have that setup on my e34 and it feels like a Cadillac compared to my e30. It’s all relative, and subjective.
    85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
    e30 restoration and V8 swap
    24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Well of course it's subjective, but it really shows how used to the absolute marshmallow ride people are.

IG @turbovarg
      '91 318is, M20 turbo
      [CoTM: 4-18]
      '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
      - updated 1-26

Comment

Here in Sydney, they have a cafe to discuss such things...

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
          It’s completely subjective. I have 450/600 with Koni SA’s, UUC swaybars, and all new/urethane bushings on the entire chassis on my v8 e30. When I was 18, I would have said the ride quality is just fine. I’m 32 now, and it is in no way “comfortable”. Fun, yes. Easy on the back, no.

Go to the e34 forums, this same discussion happens, but the guys complaining are doing so about H&R sports. I have that setup on my e34 and it feels like a Cadillac compared to my e30. It’s all relative, and subjective.
          E34's are much more likely to bottom out the front strut than an e30, so usually the complaint is about crashing over sharp bumps in the front. 500/400 is a pretty nice all around setup for an e34
          - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

24v swapped, run 450lbs, 6" springs out front & 5", 650lbs for the rear. A little bouncy at times, but the handling is awesome.
            @IRON-E30 aka Edwin:D

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
              It blows my mind when people say H&R Race or similar is too stiff when I comfortably DD a car with 450lb/in front and 650lb/in back, and Koni SA shocks. I don't think you could go much higher than this with Koni SAs though unless you had them revalved.
              Same rates here with 24v/turbo/no AC and feels great on short Koni Race fronts and mustang rears. Sure it's stiff, but I find the stock suspension in most new cars to be more harsh.
              Originally posted by priapism
              My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
              Originally posted by shameson
              Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

What length springs you guys using in the rear? I’ve got 4” 600lb springs on adjusters and the adjusters are too long and contacting the chassis. Could go with a stiffer spring which I probably will but I’m tempted to ditch the adjuster and just shim to the height I want.

Basically who’s had success with what lengths without adjusters at a good low height?
                Last edited by So Live; 05-19-2018, 01:36 PM.
                -Chris

Comment

So you can run 8 inch springs in the rear? I’m trying to figure out a good combo for my drag e30 build what height and rates do you guys think would work the best?

Comment

Originally posted by Gas Gang Racing View Post
                    So you can run 8 inch springs in the rear? I’m trying to figure out a good combo for my drag e30 build what height and rates do you guys think would work the best?
                    Maybe with a soft spring with weight transfer in mind... I think usually a 6” spring is as long as people go but haven’t gotten any good answers. I know 4” is too short (for me at least...) haha
                    Last edited by So Live; 07-06-2018, 04:40 AM.
                    -Chris

Comment

You aren't going to want a low rear end if you're running big slicks, so 8" should work fine. I'm running 5" rear springs with adjuster jacked the whole way up, probably 7" total height, and it's a stiff spring.

IG @turbovarg
                      '91 318is, M20 turbo
                      - updated 1-26

Comment

Pics of ride height?

I’m on 4” springs with adjusters almost all the way up and I like the height but the adjusters are hitting the opposing spring seat (thankfully it’s UHMW Poly)... I also have an early model street driven car. Think I’m going to go with a stiffer 5” spring and see where that gets me.
                        -Chris

Comment

There are some good pics in my project thread, link in my signature.

IG @turbovarg
                          '91 318is, M20 turbo
                          - updated 1-26

Comment

IMO somewhere around 6" give or take can work for front or rear, maybe max 7" front and min 5.5" rear. The good thing about coils is you can swap out springs pretty easily, so if you have springs in hand you can use em since you have them and accumulate different springs over time that will suit your preference. The only reason I can think of for using a longer spring like 8" is if it is progressive rate.

Comment

Working...
                            X