Rear shocks "refresh"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear shocks "refresh"?

I plan on replacing my rear shock mounts very soon, I noticed that my shocks (Bilsteins, not sure which though) look a little rough. Is there anything I can do to properly clean them up in both esthetics and functionality?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Call Bilstein and have them revalve the shocks and paint them before you re-install. Get better than OE shock mounts or you'll be doing the job again, in about a year or less, depending on your driving habits.
    @IRON-E30 aka Edwin:D

Comment

Originally posted by IRON-E View Post
      Call Bilstein and have them revalve the shocks and paint them before you re-install. Get better than OE shock mounts or you'll be doing the job again, in about a year or less, depending on your driving habits.

Shit, that sounds expensive.. I also already have the OEM mounts..

Comment

Do you have a reason to think they have a functionality issue?

The rear Bilstein sports on my e30 have over 300k miles on them over the past 20 years. I haven't had them on a shock dyno, but they still compress/rebound by hand the way new ones do, and feel great on the car.
        85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
        e30 restoration and V8 swap
        24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
          Do you have a reason to think they have a functionality issue?

Not exactly, they just look a little rough.. I'm probably just being nit picky. I'll snag a pic and post it later

Comment

Unless you post a pic of the shock fully disassembled, that won't help. External condition does not = internal condition.

It sounds like you need to sand and paint them to appease your visual needs, and you'll be good to go. Unless they collapse with little effort, or do not rebound on their own. Or some other actual functional issue (corrosion on shaft, leaking seals, etc.)
            85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
            e30 restoration and V8 swap
            24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Working...
            X