• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fresh_TD View Post
    $13/hr is not good money

Sent from my Samsung Note 3
    $20 an hour isn't even that great.

Comment

Originally posted by InNeedOfBoost View Post
      I love the, "I like being able to get a normal job" response. Goes to show how ignorant people can be. By normal job, do you mean a boring job sitting in a cubical, having to wear a monkey suit every day, being harassed by corporate management??

Because I have guaged ears, tats on my arms and my labret is pierced and I make damn good money as the parts manager at a very reputable body shop.

OP, can you make a set in 0g? I'll take a pair of so!
      I love that you are doing the same thing you are trying to criticize.

I have no piercings or tattoos, am finishing up a degree that assures me a life of corporate cubicle dwelling while wearing business casual attire. I prefer wearing traditional mens attire over trendy clothing and chasing the latest 'fashion'. I own more suits than jeans, even though I don't wear suits to work. I chose my my major because I enjoy it and it interests me. I choose my clothing based on what I think looks good.

The judgement against people with extreme tattoos and piercings is based upon the indication of that person's mindset, plain and simple. And you know what? I'm ok with that. You are choosing to present yourself in a way that is, in its very essence, rebellious. Who should I trust with a large amount of responsibility? Someone who clearly follows the rules and presents themselves in a serious manner, and is willing to make personal sacrifice for the opportunity to be given that chance, or someone who wears their teen angst and rebellion on their face? Who do you think I would prefer as a pilot, to reference the previous example? A person walking around who willingly and knowingly chose a style/trend/lifestyle that carries a certain social stigma, and close certain doors? You can't make those decisions, knowing what to expect, then complain about what inevitably happens. Doing so makes you look like a whiny teenager.

Listen, if you enjoy it, it makes you happy, and you understand the side effects (direct and indirect) that come along with doing that to yourself, then fine, go for it. You have to make your own choices in life. But don't make that choice and then act like it's OTHER people's fault when your choice affects you.

And CERTAINLY don't crap on other people who similarly chose to work a traditional job, abstain from piercings and tattoos, and dress in classic mens attire, because just like it's your choice to dress and present yourself in a way that makes you happy, it's their choice to dress and present themselves in a way that makes them happy.

TL,DR: Only an immature child makes a choice, knowing what the repercussions are going to be, and then complains about the repercussions.
      Last edited by Andy.B; 04-22-2014, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by fresh_TD View Post
        $13/hr is not good money

Sent from my Samsung Note 3
        I said reputable body shop, not Maaco.

But right, I forgot everyone on r3v makes 150k a year...

To Andy, I my defense... what I said came out wrong. If that's what interests you I'm not going to bash. But what I can't stand is people who instantly think I'm some punk kid who dropped out of high school and isn't going anywhere in life solely judged by the way I look. My father was a doctor, sure...I could've followed in his foot steps but I chose to work with cars because it's what I love. I graduated, went to college and been supporting myself since I left home right after high school. But that doesn't mean my piercings and tats would deter me from getting that job. I know plenty of people who are in various professional positions but still have full sleeves, they just hide it well. My ears added gauged, but I'm not going bigger then a 0 because at my size, they'll still close up if needed.

I don't follow the latest trends and I'm by no means a hipster, I just don't feel comfortable in a suit.
        Last edited by InNeedOfBoost; 04-22-2014, 12:50 PM.
        1991 318is - Daily/weekend track car.

An on-ramp is a terrible thing to waste...

Comment

I love the, "I like being able to get a normal job" response. Goes to show how ignorant people can be. By normal job, do you mean a boring job sitting in a cubical, having to wear a monkey suit every day, being harassed by corporate management??

Because I have guaged ears, tats on my arms and my labret is pierced and I make damn good money as the parts manager at a very reputable body shop.

OP, can you make a set in 0g? I'll take a pair of so!
          By "normal job" I mean doing the very thing I wanted to do since I was 5, not speaking to any management or supervisor unless I either need their assistance or screw something up in a major way, get as many days off as I work, and occasionally get paid to sit at home and do nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Shangsta View Post

Blunt would love all the holes on this one

;D

Comment

Actually, I like BEING corporate management. And 6 figures, love six figures. Money cant buy happiness but it can buy a house, a car & two bikes and trips to the Caribbean to use my 30 days of vacation on and that shit makes me really happy. Sure, there are a few guys who do quite well with their ink and holes but their numbers pale in comparison to us guys in "monkey suits" (aka a collared shirt and slacks) running most shows.

I have one suit and two ties and Ive only worn them to weddings/funerals.

Id probably consider a tat if I cared enough about something to put it on my body permanently. The body modification scene would never be for me, I just don't see the point. Anyone can put a hole in their head so its not like you are a unique flower, just a follower chasing the norms of a different group than I.
              Im now E30less.
              sigpic

Comment

But I like the way it looks, it just so happens to be that I like the way it looks at the same point in time that a lot of my peers happen to do it as well. You can't paint with your conformist brush, man.

Comment

Wait a minute. Am I to believe that there are different types of people that like the same car?

Hey! E30s are great, amiright? Who's with me!? Who's with me?!? Yay!
                  Originally posted by Andy.B
                  Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
                  1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
                  ~~~~~~~~~~
                  I was born on 3/25…
                  ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Ether-D View Post
                    Wait a minute. Am I to believe that there are different types of people that like the same car?

Hey! E30s are great, amiright? Who's with me!? Who's with me?!? Yay!
                    Lol, you win the Internet
                    1991 318is - Daily/weekend track car.

An on-ramp is a terrible thing to waste...

Comment

I love the diversity of this forum, and the fact that we have threads like this were different minded people can discuss something in a (mostly) civil manner. E30s speak to many different kinds of people, and bring individuals together who might not come together otherwise.
                      R3v is more than just another car forum... It's a community of idiots that love to argue over who is the biggest idiot out of the group.

Comment

Originally posted by dreamchasin View Post
                        I could have a job making 17 an hour start with the city if I got my CDL. But I chose to stay where I'm at making 13.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
                        Well obviously if you don't care about having a high-paying job, you can have all the body mods you want.

1992 BMW 525iT Calypso
                        2011 Jeep Wrangler

Comment

The pictures of people with their cheeks, lips, nose stretched is absolutely retarded. Your ears are not that big of a deal.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

90 325is alpine2 m50b25 becoming a dorifto car.

Comment

im totally fine with full sleeves but when it starts to mess with your face thats just plain dumb.
                            some places you get lucky and are more liberal to such things but if the only thing stopping me from getting a job to support my family is because i wanted to look cool when i was younger by getting a neck tattoo or or my septim pierced then i would have dealt with it.
                            knowing i would be hard pressed to find a job that made anything to support them that was long term and stable and would not destroy my body im glad i didnt.
                            luckily i was smart enough when i was in high school to realize this and didnt get a bad ass face tat i though was boss when i saw it (i was a little goth)!

Comment

Originally posted by dreamchasin View Post
                              The scale of reason stops where I arbitrarily decide

Comment

lol^ I was thinking the same thing..

do whatever the hell you wanna do..but don't expect to not be judged by other people.

I myself have size 8 gauges which is pretty much just an earring piercing because that's just what I want, criticize away!

Comment

Working...
                                X