X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OEM vs Quaife Differnential

being that i started as a VW nut and kinda fell into BMW land

when i think LSD i think Quaife

why does nobody run their diffs over the oem diff seems they are the holy grail of diffs for the vw crowd... but being that they are front drivers i am guessing that has something to do with it...

whats the difference between a helical quaife style one and the oem ones.. what type are the oem... what advantage does either have

and yeah i am aware that quaife are alot more $$$

Well I was considering thier diffs for the shored up and shimmed clutch packs. You can get diffs in 40%, 60%, and even 80% lockup.
    Im now E30less.
    sigpic

Comment

Re: OEM vs Quaife Differnential

Originally posted by natorious
      I think that is your answer right there. E30 owners are c-h-e-a-p.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Re: OEM vs Quaife Differnential

Originally posted by natorious

Therein lies your answer.

You're talking to the crowd that likes to buy used waterpumps and dampers. The group that buys wheels, but can't afford tires for another 6 months. Buying a 200k LSD that barely has any lockup left for 200 bucks seems like a better idea than a $1500 quaife diff.

If I were building a balls out autox car with no regard to budget, or a motorswap car (more likely), than I would be running a quaife.

-Charlie
        Swing wild, brake later, don't apologize.
        '89 324d, '76 02, '98 318ti, '03 Z4, '07 MCS, '07 F800s - Bonafide BMW elitist prick.
        FYYFF

Comment

ok... i did some research on the the quaife... (which i think im gonna go with when i do my swap)

one big disadvantage with the helical is that e30s tend to lift the inside rear wheel in hard cornering.. when doing so the helical diffs loose there lockup... as for it to function there has to be some available traction on both wheels....

advantages include... being bomb proof and cant wear out like a clutch based on can.. and the fact that they lockup almost instantaneously under power..

i have read that it changes the feel of the e30 quite a bit tho... and effects the way the car rotates quite a bit

Comment

I am new to this, do you replace the bmw internals with the Quaife parts?

Comment

Correct, the Quaife is essentially a cariier, you just swap the gear that is on the stock diff, onto the Quaife.
              -Ted

Comment

sp what does one of these cost? say a 2.93 60%

Comment

Hmmmm getting a "Quaife" or Torsen diff for your E30 doesn't have to be expensive ;)
                  "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                  88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                  89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                  91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Call up Performance Gearing Differentials (Blanton Diffs)if you want a diff for your RWD BMW, not quaife.

NASA MidSouth TT Director / GTS2 #018
                    Mods: Coastal PS Fluid, 10w40 Oil
                    Future Mods: Bosch Micro-Edge Wiper Blades, Painter's Tape, Spark Plugs, Freezer for Nutty Buddys, Adam Nitti CD's

Comment

I am about to sell the 3.73 that is in my car, so I want to replace it with something I can use for a long time with good lockup

Comment

ive heard mixed signals for quaife's on bmw's... im looking for a diff for my car and as always money is no object.... so LSD or Quaife??? whats better in a road/race BMW???
                        e30sport.net
                        '15 Porsche GT3 - 7-speed PDK - Daily Driver
                        '86 325es - s54b32tu - 6-speed - Mtech 1
                        '89 325is - m20b25 - 5-speed - Individual

Comment

I guess the question i have is would a rebuilt BMW LSD be as good?

Comment

Well I can vouch for Quaife quality. I bought one in England in 1989 for my VW and it's still in my Scirocco today. 85k of hard auto-x use and track and daily road driving. Best 425 pounds I spent.

It's to bad Autotech in Cali charged double for them. They killed the market. I was for awhile was importing them when I was flying thru UK on a twice a month basis. Made a good profit too.

Wish I was into BMW's at the time but was not.

I vote for the Quaife..
                            https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

the high torsion helicals are supposed to be a lot better than shimmed clutch packs (which is all that is done when people do a cheap rebuild of a diff) but the biggest disadvantage is turning is harder on dry pavement because you are fighting that 605 load (that and cost).

TJ, why didnt you install a brand new engine and tranny in your car when you decided to change from an Auto?
                              Im now E30less.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X