Cars that come w/ Getrag 260?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cars that come w/ Getrag 260?

I don't see anything on the web that blatantly tells what cars came with the Getrag 260. I remember that when my auto started to go out, I took it to a shop and the guy told me that my trany was also put into a bunch of volvos. I was just wondering if that was the case w/ the 5-speed. Even on top of that, what e30's came w/ the 260?

In the U.S., all E30 325i/is' with a 5spd are Getrag 260s.
    E30 325ix's use a unique Getrag 260, because of the transfer case/front+rear differentials in the AWD system
    E30 325e's used Getrag 260s, but I do not believe that these bolt up to the 'i' (M20B25) motor. Also, IIRC, these early 260's for the 325e's have weaker syncros so they're not as good for fast shifting when paired with a higher revving/ higher horsepower motor.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarvis
      E30 325ix's use a unique Getrag 260, because of the transfer case/front+rear differentials in the AWD system
      E30 325e's used Getrag 260s, but I do not believe that these bolt up to the 'i' (M20B25) motor. Also, IIRC, these early 260's for the 325e's have weaker syncros so they're not as good for fast shifting when paired with a higher revving/ higher horsepower motor.
      Is what you said about the Eta's 5 spds true, having to do with syncros? And, would this include a Super Eta?

That's the first I've ever heard that.
      - Sean Hayes

Comment

Originally posted by Sean
        Is what you said about the Eta's 5 spds true, having to do with syncros? And, would this include a Super Eta?

That's the first I've ever heard that.
        I'm not positive. I heard that somewhere on this board a while ago. IIRC, what I read here was that the older 260s on ETA engines don't match up directly to 'i' engines, and that they have slightly different internals.
        Please, if someone knows FOR SURE, correct me if I'm wrong. No one else was posting in this thread so I figured I'd toss in my two cents, from what I can remember.
        And about the super eta... I have no idea. I'd be interesting in finding that outmyself. If would make sense for the '88 super eta's to have the same 260 as the 'i's, but then again it still has the 2.7 block just like the old regular ETAs. :idea:

Comment

The 325e 260's bolt up to a 325i without any issues. You just have 2 sensor ports open because the 325i has its CPS at the front of the engine.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
          https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan
            The 325e 260's bolt up to a 325i without any issues. You just have 2 sensor ports open because the 325i has its CPS at the front of the engine.
            Then is it the 325i 260 that won't bolt up directly to the 325e engine?
            I think I just mixed those up.

Comment

Nevermind.
              '91 318is
              sigpic

Comment

But, what about the syncros thing?
                - Sean Hayes

Comment

Note : ix 260 boxes are indeed regular 260 boxes,
                  just ask oskard he has one and no transfer case on it and is running it on his 320i ยด89 motor with E21 323i flywheel and M20 starter and 320i driveshaft
                  Gunni
                  @ Prodrive / Aston Martin Racing

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan
                    Then is it the 325i 260 that won't bolt up directly to the 325e engine?
                    I think I just mixed those up.
                    No, the 325i 260 will bolt right up to a 325e without any issues. Only problem is the 325i 260 doesnt have the 2 sensor ports. It's not a big issue however, because the vasting bosses are still there. One need only drill 2 holes.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
                    https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

Which Getrag did the M10-engined cars come with? Were these 260s as well or something else?

Comment

Originally posted by Speed25
                        Which Getrag did the M10-engined cars come with? Were these 260s as well or something else?
                        Check in the FAQ to see a couple of VIN# Decoders...you can pull your car's info from these.

Comment

They changed the layshaft bearing design when they pulled the 260 from service for a couple of years. The new box got the upgraded cover (with the cooling fins), a combination roller/needle layshaft bearing and the newer aluminium shift forks (the reinforced ones, not the first lot which are known to snap).

That would be about the only difference, the m30 ones had thicker gears though (because of the torque difference).
                          Just a little project im working on
                          - http://www.lse30.com -

Comment

Originally posted by Speed25
                            I want to say 240. I know its not 260 though.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

so did all manual e30's have an overdrive 5th gear?
                              Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X