N20 Swap Anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://bimmerboost.com/content.php?1...N52-comparison

i have always been interested in how things work, i just skimmed through it very slowly and wow is all i gotta say , very complicated with alot of new concepts

Comment

I know megasquirt currently has no way to control things like dual/ variable vanos, or valvetronic, let alone other newer things about this engine. Other ems are probably in a similar situation, so good luck with the standalone idea...

If you could find a wrecked car to get everything needed, that seems like the best way to go.
      Originally posted by priapism
      My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
      Originally posted by shameson
      Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

If you're serious about doing this and have the $ this guy claims he can sort out the wiring. He makes plug and play ECU with wiring loom packages for just about any BMW engine. He said in this thread that he can do the N54 wiring for an e30 so I would assume that means N20 as well.

It would be best to use the stock wiring/ecu on an engine like this anyway.
        Zinno '89 <24v swap in progress>

Comment

S54 swaps are becoming normal, I cannot wait to see one of these in the e30. It is perfect place for it, light and powerful.
          ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
          ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
          ~ '87 535
          ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
          ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

S54, with its iron block would be way too heavy. It looks like N20 is the perfect motor for E30. In a year or two, this engine will be available at the junk yards all over the country. BMW is putting this on all new 128s, 328s, 528s and X cars..

Comment

How does one find how to find a donor car with all the needed accessories? The n20 alone on car-part.com is about $6k-8k atm.

Comment

I can find one for half that price whole car x1 or 128
                Wrecked or crashed
                Witn a CD title or parts only title
                Someone get @ me
                I buy the car directly from the insurance company
                954 338-0260 jay

Comment

Bump
                  Now theirs a real topic

Comment

Just by looking at the engine you will notice, that you won't be able to have power steering nor A/C. You will have to get the 6 speed manual with it because N20 has totally different bell housing pattern.
                    Last edited by DesertBMW; 07-20-2013, 12:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBMW View Post
                      Just by looking at the engine you will notice, that you won't be able to have power steering nor A/C. You will have to get the 6 speed manual with it because N20 has totally different bell housing pattern.
                      You could get a N20 out of an X1. It has a regular power steering pump. http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.d...id=53262&hg=32. And it looks like they all have a regular A/C compressor.
                      Plug and Play Wiring Harness Adapters for S54, S50, M54 and more.

Comment

one could get away without using power steering with engine this light. I would probably do this swap, buy maybe 5 years from now, when these cars get cheaper. Now even totally roll over wrecks are going on over $10k on auctions.

Comment

Bump
                          Not on iaai

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk

Comment

3 year bump? Anyone found someone attempting this in the dark corners of the internet?
                            diamantschwarz 1991 318is

Comment

Originally posted by word is bond View Post
                              3 year bump? Anyone found someone attempting this in the dark corners of the internet?
                              I'm going to 4 year bump this (instead of making a new thread), and ask the same. These engines have gotten cheaper, and with N55 swaps going into E36's becoming somewhat more common, this should be easier.
                              1985 325e Sedan, 1986 325e Sedan, 2006 BMW X5, 2012 M3 Sedan, 2013 135is, 2017 M3 Sedan ZCP Competition

Comment

These engines are crap. Nothing but headaches and sound like crap.

Do not want
                                Originally posted by codyep3
                                I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
                                2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
                                1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
                                1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
                                2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
                                2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
                                2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
                                2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
                                2010 F650gs twin
                                2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

Working...
                                X