Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Source of all this oil/sludge?

First time looking under here...

Is there an easy way to tell if this is coming from the oil pan gasket or from a leaking valve cover? For the rack, leaking boots?

Any other possible sources?

Let me know what you think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    JP
    WTB: Z3 1.9 lever, plastic bumpers, 19# injectors, Anthracite Cloth Sport Seats

Current
    88 325 super eta
    00 528i/5 (daily)
    02 530iA sport

Former
    04 525iA sport
    87 325is
    91 325i
    97 528i

It's really hard to say by looking at this pics, but a good way to go about finding a leak is; start looking from the top (of the engine) and work you way down.

It looks like caked on oil, not PS fluid. VC gaskets are a common leak and so are oil pans, so, look around you VC and if you don't see any residue or fresh oil, I'd look at the pan.

Also, a cheap good way to no for sure is to buy some UV die, add it to the oil and get a black light and trace it.
    Originally posted by wholepailofwater
    Q
    :devil:

WTB: Dove Grey e36 Front Door Panels (2 door)

Comment

Right on. I guess the first step would be to degrease the shit out of everything and clean it up.

Thanks for the tip w/ UV dye.

JP

Current
      88 325 super eta
      00 528i/5 (daily)
      02 530iA sport

Former
      04 525iA sport
      87 325is
      91 325i
      97 528i

Comment

that's rust proofing - BMW builds it into every car they sell. :p
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I changed all the seals on my m20 and 2yrs down the track and its covered in the same crap. It doesn't drip on the ground so i just keep the bonnet closed:)

Comment

So I am the process of replacing all my seals and gaskets and mine looked just like yours. I pulled the engine and trans and found quite a few surprises for a car that ran without issue. The oil pan had several bolts that were finger tight. The oil pressure switch was leaking. The ol fulter housing was leaking. The crank case vent tube was missing an oring and was leaking. The three seals on the trans were leaking. The PS resivoir and hoses were leaking. All of this and you would think I would of had puddles under the car and yet it was dry as a bone in the garage. Time to think about a major refresh of the motor.

'08 E90 328i Sport '04 E53 3.0 '02 E46 325i Sport '91 E30 325ic M-Technic

Comment

Originally posted by cat97628 View Post
              So I am the process of replacing all my seals and gaskets and mine looked just like yours. I pulled the engine and trans and found quite a few surprises for a car that ran without issue. The oil pan had several bolts that were finger tight. The oil pressure switch was leaking. The ol fulter housing was leaking. The crank case vent tube was missing an oring and was leaking. The three seals on the trans were leaking. The PS resivoir and hoses were leaking. All of this and you would think I would of had puddles under the car and yet it was dry as a bone in the garage. Time to think about a major refresh of the motor.

Oh man that sounds tempting... I don’t have the time, space, or money to do that right now

How much time/money did that cost you?

Any documentation, or parts lists?

JP

Current
              88 325 super eta
              00 528i/5 (daily)
              02 530iA sport

Former
              04 525iA sport
              87 325is
              91 325i
              97 528i

Comment

I am going to put together a post this weekend outlining what it did and I am surprised at how stupid expensive this has gotten. I do not regret doing it as I was getting a bit worried to drive the car and now will be able to enjoy her a bit more than in the past. I just hope she fires back up this weekend or I am going to have explain to my wife how I spent a ton of money on a car that doesn’t work

'08 E90 328i Sport '04 E53 3.0 '02 E46 325i Sport '91 E30 325ic M-Technic

Comment

I’ll second the loose bolts possibility. The torque value on the oil pan bolts is pretty light but I check mine whenever I poke around under there, there’s usually a couple that don’t feel right. Hose clamps fatigue too.
                  My son has the 1987 325e, 2 door, 5speed
                  I daily the 1989 325i, 4 door, 5speed

Comment

Working...
                  X