Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

any reason to retain hvac fan with no a/c?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

any reason to retain hvac fan with no a/c?

Just like the title says, is it worth leaving the fan and controls in place without having a/c? I am building a weekend/occasional track car that has spiraled out of control and no longer has a/c for various reasons. I am planning out an HVAC panel delete plate with gauges and switches, and found a way that I could retain the fan control with my new switch panel.

The question is, is it worth retaining the fan? I can't really think of any scenario where I have actually used just a fan when warm, and it's not like my heater is going to work with the heater core detached anyways...Plus I live in Florida, so we don't use heat, lol.

Should I just remove the entire fan assembly at this point?

Not clear if you still have the heat core with the AC removal but...

I use my fan to augment cooling on the track. I close all vents except the far right vent, crank the heat to 4 and point the vent outside. The heater core acts as an auxiliary radiator and the fan pulls air through it.

I also use the fan to defrost on early mornings/rain.

Ed
    1988 E30/S50...now with S52; Track
    1994 Miata R; ES Solo2
    1998 Lexus LX470; Wife (Slee'd anyway)
    2002 BMW 530i; A+ Commuter
    2002 BMW 325iT; Sport/Premium 5-speed
    2011 21' EconoTrailer

Comment

Originally posted by ed94r View Post
      Not clear if you still have the heat core with the AC removal but...

I use my fan to augment cooling on the track. I close all vents except the far right vent, crank the heat to 4 and point the vent outside. The heater core acts as an auxiliary radiator and the fan pulls air through it.

I also use the fan to defrost on early mornings/rain.

Ed
      The heater core is still physically in place, but I have it bypassed as I did an m52 swap and it just seemed easier to bypass. I'm not too worried about they motor cooling capacity form that as I have installed a large setrab oil cooler and a MUCH larger radiator.

window fogging is probably the only reason I am thinking of keeping it at this point, but being a turbo car I don't think I'm really going to do much driving in the rain unless I get caught out in it Hmm...

Comment

Keep it to defog the windshield. I have mine run to a toggle switch for high speed only. All vents are removed and capped excluding the windshield vent.
        m106 1990 e30
        e36 daily
        e32 cruiser

Comment

You could remove everything and apply an anti-fogging agent to the inside of your windshield. Only downside is the frequent re-application of the agent for it to be effective.
          m106 1990 e30
          e36 daily
          e32 cruiser

Comment

Originally posted by Rennsport View Post
            Keep it to defog the windshield. I have mine run to a toggle switch for high speed only. All vents are removed and capped excluding the windshield vent.
            I think that's what I will do. hopefully I can figure out how to turn the flaps to just the window defogger. I removed the cables from the controls and didn't really pay attention to which one did what..

Comment

No AC and no blower in Florida? You're going to get caught in the rain. Enjoy having to wait for the rain to pass before you can drive because you windshield is opaque with fog. Even just the blower isn't enough when that cold rain decides to drop the temp of your glass below the dew point, needs that dry air conditioned breeze.

IG @turbovarg
              '91 318is, M20 turbo
              [CoTM: 4-18]
              '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
              - updated 3-17

Comment

not my first rodeo with a car with no a/c...I did an entire summer cold calling in a suit with an e36 that didn't have a/c...

My car is getting built as a weekend backroads car and track car. Just like my motorcycles, if the weather isn't the greatest, I live in Florida. There are going to be more nice days.

Comment

Are the NON A.C. HVAC boxes smaller?

You could always put defrost lines, or a small heater blower onto the front windshield if that is a concern.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                  @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Are the NON A.C. HVAC boxes smaller?
                    Yes, quite a bit. They use a smaller (insanely expensive) fan, too.

t
                    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Darn.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                      @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Good luck finding a non AC Hvac, they are not very common :/

keep the blower fan, you'll need it to defog your windshield.
                        Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Working...
                        X