• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meh- that’s boring.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
    Transaction feedback
    - jpod999

Comment

Any reliable local shops in the bay area (preferably in the sj area) that can do a power steering rack swap? From current Z3 rack to the same rack without a busted seal. I'm trying to come up with a backup plan in case my buddy doesn't have time before I go on my trip first week of Oct.

Comment

Originally posted by joonsup View Post
        Any reliable local shops in the bay area (preferably in the sj area) that can do a power steering rack swap? From current Z3 rack to the same rack without a busted seal. I'm trying to come up with a backup plan in case my buddy doesn't have time before I go on my trip first week of Oct.
        Why not try it yourself? I get it if you don't have time, but if it's not having tools, I'm sure you can buy tools for it less than the labor cost at a shop. Since it's swapping out a busted Z3 for a good Z3, it should be pretty simple.
        sigpic
        1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
        1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
        1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Originally posted by McGyver View Post
          Why not try it yourself? I get it if you don't have time, but if it's not having tools, I'm sure you can buy tools for it less than the labor cost at a shop. Since it's swapping out a busted Z3 for a good Z3, it should be pretty simple.
          I live in an apt with car port so no garage or driveway to work on the car

Comment

Hey guys, really need help w timing my s50. Link below will show what's wrong as my intake cam is barely off. Need advice to get this on the road.

Comment

I live in an apt with car port so no garage or driveway to work on the car
              I've never replaced a rack before but I don't think you need a ton of space to do it... Just need to jack up the front end, take off the wheels, remove the tie rod ends from the steering knuckle, undo the bolts to the subframe, and disconnect at the steering coupler.

Am I missing anything?
              JP
              WTB: Z3 1.9 lever, plastic bumpers, 19# injectors, Anthracite Cloth Sport Seats

Current
              88 325 super eta
              00 528i/5 (daily)
              02 530iA sport

Former
              04 525iA sport
              87 325is
              91 325i
              97 528i

Comment

Originally posted by freeride53 View Post
                You back home in norcal LBV?

Also worth noting I get 18-19 MPG out of my 4th Gen V6 in RWD mode. I would totally go for a V6 if you chose to go down the 4Th Gen T4R path.
                Yup back at home and taking my last semester at SJSU. I'll get a degree from Trinity University though (this December as long as I pass all my current classes).

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                skip the M2, get a 1M and pocket the difference for tires

as for me, Im getting a Cayman. Not a matter of IF, just a matter of WHEN... and I want that to be soon
                Why 1M over M2? Drivability or future value? I've driven the Cayman S 987 a bit, great handling and weight balance, stock shift throw is way too long for a sporty car IMO and the power is very peaky but it's a blast overall.
                The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
                Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
                2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
                2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

its so boring in here

Comment

Originally posted by oliver.r View Post
                    its so boring in here
                    we're out driving our cars ;)
                    Simon
                    Current Cars:
                    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

no we're not lol
                      cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
                        no we're not lol

Hush!! I’m trying to make him feel bad for neglecting the 02...

Or wait did he sell it?
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:
                        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

I'm in santa Clara for tonight and tomorrow. People doing anything?
                          sigpic
                          1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
                          1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
                          1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

what car? :sad:
                            1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

I highly recommend Motorspeed West for anything E30. Ken is the friggin man. Also his E30 323i stroker is pretty bitchin. They're rates are higher but they tend to get it done much quicker than other shops so the overall price for work is usually lower. Also they sell brand new Z3 racks on rockauto for $262. It's the same one ECS sells for $100+ more.

And @AC_Schnitzel, you need to either bend the tabs at the subframe (ghetto way) or lift the motor slightly (correct way) to get the rack out. It's considerably more difficult than say an E36 in that respect.

and @ people driving their cars, and I've temporarily given up on the MAF conversion, put everything back together so I can drive my car lmao. Sssquid is giving me some cop out emails which is annoying, I still haven't really figured out what's going on.
                              btw I also live in Santa Clara
                              '86 Burgundrot 325 2.8 stroker.

Build thread

Other cars:
                              2000 Porsche Boxster
                              2006 Subaru Outback XT 5MT
                              1972 Porsche 914

Comment

Originally posted by betz View Post
                                I highly recommend Motorspeed West for anything E30. Ken is the friggin man. Also his E30 323i stroker is pretty bitchin. They're rates are higher but they tend to get it done much quicker than other shops so the overall price for work is usually lower. Also they sell brand new Z3 racks on rockauto for $262. It's the same one ECS sells for $100+ more.

And @AC_Schnitzel, you need to either bend the tabs at the subframe (ghetto way) or lift the motor slightly (correct way) to get the rack out. It's considerably more difficult than say an E36 in that respect.

and @ people driving their cars, and I've temporarily given up on the MAF conversion, put everything back together so I can drive my car lmao. Sssquid is giving me some cop out emails which is annoying, I still haven't really figured out what's going on.
                                btw I also live in Santa Clara
                                Ah ok -- definitely more involved then.

I'd also check car-part.com for a used Z3 rack -- you might be able to get one from a local scrap yard for cheap.
                                JP
                                WTB: Z3 1.9 lever, plastic bumpers, 19# injectors, Anthracite Cloth Sport Seats

Current
                                88 325 super eta
                                00 528i/5 (daily)
                                02 530iA sport

Former
                                04 525iA sport
                                87 325is
                                91 325i
                                97 528i

Comment

Working...
                                X