Block Heater?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Block Heater?

I hate to ask such a simple question but, do a 1989 325i or any E30 have a block heater. If so were the hell is it? If not were can I get one? Thanks.
    sigpic

the 324td had one, can be retrofited into a non diesel engine block.
    85 325e 2.7 ITB'd stroker

Comment

my 85 325E has one, don't know if it is factory or not.. it is in the pass. side freeze plug toword the back of the block.

1992 BMW 325iC
      1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
      1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Interesting, do you have trouble starting your car for those how have -40c and lower winters.
        sigpic

Comment

My car doesn't like to start in -6C weather, it starts just I can feel a difference. I think if I tried to start it in -40C it would come alive and say fuck you after bitch slapping me.

Comment

Originally posted by Mastrcruse View Post
            My car doesn't like to start in -6C weather, it starts just I can feel a difference. I think if I tried to start it in -40C it would come alive and say fuck you after bitch slapping me.
            Yea, my car would bitch at me too. lol
            - Sean Hayes

Comment

Bitch.

1989 325iX
              1995 540i
              1986 325eS R.I.P.
              1984 325e R.I.P.

Comment

I had one put in my 91 318is, replaces the freezeplug under exhaust manifold. Had to relocate to Regina, Saskatchewan for 8 months, and it worked well enough in their even-nastier-than-edmonton winter.

Can't remember the part number, but if you phone any BMW stealership they will know. Dunno if they have ones for the m20, or if its the same one. (Does the m20 have the same size freeze plugs as the m42?)

Interesting note: the blockheater said "Made in Canada."
                Last edited by sepehr; 10-20-2006, 12:29 AM.

Comment

From Wikipedia;

Before the block heater was invented, people utilized various means of warming engines before starting them, such as pouring hot water on the engine block or draining the engine's oil for storage inside overnight. Some even shoveled hot coals underneath their vehicle's engine to achieve the same effect.

: )

Comment

go to volkswagen, tell them you want a block heater retrofit kit, it's a heating pad that get's epoxied to the oil pan, honestly takes about 10 minutes to put on, and all you do it plug er in, i can remember being a kid, and the neighbours out in the yard in the morning making a fire under their tractor to get it started.

Comment

I used to use a block heater in my MG, but found that it didn't really help much. In areas where the temperature drops well below zero, I can see it helping, but I didn't notice much of a difference in 0-30*F weather.

I was also bad about plugging it in every night, one of reasons why Is toped using it. :)

Just to note also, you can get universal ones that fit any car. Mine was a magnetic type that stuck to either the block or oil pan. I tied the plug out of site under the front valence and it and the heater stayed there for several years with no problems.

Comment

Here is something kind of interesting:

Performance Automotive Parts from Accel Billet Edelbrock MSD VDO. JEGS is the source for performance parts with Same Day Shipping.

Does the M20 even have freeze plugs? I can't remember seeing them before. lol

Edit: Jsut looked it up. Yes the M20 has freeze plugs, but they are 45mm, and Jegs doesn't have that size. :(

Comment

Guys, if you are installing one, make sure it's a tap in type with a seal.

I just had a customers e36 318is in for an oil change and check up. I noticed his coolant a bit low, so I topped it up. Since he is a new customer, I did not know the service history of the car so just thought the coolant was neglected.

Thank goodness I decided to go get him with his car, half way to his place the whole front of the car started smoking. I pulled the hood and realised that it was coolant burning.

Being night, I could not see where it was coming from, so I had the car towed back to my place and was pi$$ed to find that the leak was coming from the block heater fitting and spewing onto the exhaust down pipes..

I am not mad because of the block heater, but because the moron who installed it, chose one with a much smaller diameter and used silicone to make up for the space. So it was probably leaking slowly and because I added more coolant, the pressure built up higher and popped out the silicone the idiot stuffed in there.

I was going nuts because this is a new customer, but happy it happened with me.

Could you imagine what would have happened if he had the car and blew the head gasket right after getting the car from me?

So choose a good, tight fitting block heater for your car and ensure it seals well. Look at your temp guage often after the installation, check for leaks and bleed the system well.
                          BMW, The Ultimate Flying Machine.
                          sigpic
                          2003 BMW e46 325i-sport 1987 BMW 335is Turbo (in the making) 1974 Triumph TR6 (in the making)

Comment

i never used mine, how much does it warm it up?

1992 BMW 325iC
                            1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
                            1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Working...
                            X