Melon's E30 Build.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Melon View Post
    I went to school for product design, and we were required to make models at the end of every semester of our designs. Lots of bondo work, painting, and priming and then polishing to get a smooth appearance.
    Did you go to SCAD? Only asking because I applied there, ended up at RISD in the north. Stoked to see a fellow product design e30 enthusiast on here
    1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Originally posted by wworm View Post
      Did you go to SCAD? Only asking because I applied there, ended up at RISD in the north. Stoked to see a fellow product design e30 enthusiast on here
      I went to SCAD once, to visit a professor friend if mine. Savannah is a beautiful city, I recommend a visit.

I went to University of Louisiana at Lafayette (ULL)
      I did really well, won student merit award for IDSA, but never found a job in Id (graduated in 2010, economy wasn't bokminy yet) I ultimately found a really good job doing civil/structural design for refineries and chemical plants along the Gulf coast. It's not as sexy as product design, but it pays really well, and it's a great joy to climb to the top of an eighty foot tall unit I designed.

Are you a fellow ID person as well? (I.e. working in product design)
      Last edited by Melon; 05-07-2018, 05:32 AM.
      I do things.

Comment

After a week in TN, at the tail of the dragon, I'm back home. Looking forward to getting back to work on the E30.

Also, a C5 is one of the best bargain cars out there, a genuine Plastic Fantastic.

Here's our motley crue. I did drive the E46. Megusta.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
        I do things.

Comment

I went to SCAD once, to visit a professor friend if mine. Savannah is a beautiful city, I recommend a visit.

I went to University of Louisiana at Lafayette (ULL)
          I did really well, won student merit award for IDSA, but never found a job in Id (graduated in 2010, economy wasn't bokminy yet) I ultimately found a really good job doing civil/structural design for refineries and chemical plants along the Gulf coast. It's not as sexy as product design, but it pays really well, and it's a great joy to climb to the top of an eighty foot tall unit I designed.

Are you a fellow ID person as well? (I.e. working in product design)
          right on! Yeah, I'm a design engineer for a sculpture firm, not exactly product design either but I studied ID.
          1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Back at it today.

Weather turned south pretty quickly, combined with typical Louisiana summer heat in the morning, I only got so much done.

Bottom.of trunk primed, hood sanded with some body filler. I sanded the back of one door, and the area around the door on the body. Took care of some small spots on the roof as well.

Getting close to final priming.

I do things.

Comment

Did my first test with the gun and color.

Came out really well, despite me thinning the paint too much and it running.

I painted one part of the door after sanding it with 600 grit, that part came out really well.

I do things.

Comment

Did my first test with the gun and color.

Came out really well, despite me thinking the paint too much and it running.

I painted one part of the door after sanding it with 600 grit, that part came out really well.

Wow, that's a bold color! (almost like a melon, you could say) Looks similar to the orange on Frank Ocean's M3
                What mix is this?

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Comment

U92/94 Fire Orange or
                  Limerock from the E92 M3.
                  I do things.

Comment

Just more prep for the speed primer.

Calling it a day, I'd like to enjoy my Memorial Day.

I do things.

Comment

how were the fitment of those corbeau seats? Im thinking of buying a set for my e30. Did you have to get the shaved base?

Comment

Originally posted by othatseric View Post
                        how were the fitment of those corbeau seats? Im thinking of buying a set for my e30. Did you have to get the shaved base?
                        They fit right in. I did get the shaved base.
                        I fit comfortably in the car while driving, just not with a helmet.

I'm a big dude, 6'-2" 350lbs.
                        I do things.

Comment

Been busy with work, but Melon is back!

Took some time off after the 4th, and made some progress, and some set backs.

I got the paint dialed in, but had issues spraying the clear, going to have to get that worked out.

For a budget spray system, I'm really impressed.

Got the underside of the hood and trunk painted, as well as the back side of the doors, got the car shot with a light coat of primer, and then I ran out of time and paint.

Last edited by Melon; 07-08-2018, 06:27 PM.
                          I do things.

Comment

Well, some genuine setbacks.

The clearcoat is Acrylic Laquer, and when I shot it, I had no idea that it's total crap, and I layered it on too thick, so I've got a shit load of tiny bubbles in the clear.

And today, to double down, I was ordering the paint from Paintscratch.com, and they refunded me my money and said that the color was going to cost 2x as much, and they missed it the first time. @ $350 a gallon normal price, it's a hard sell to get over $800 gal/ shipped.

Me reading the email:

So, now I'm facing the prospect of sanding down the items I painted and starting over, and not being able to get more Fire Orange paint.

Fuck me.

I found a local paint shop that carried the PPG Envriobase items, I was going to drop by there today and order the proper clear, I'll see if they can mix the color I need. If not, I'll have to go with something else. That really blows, I have about 1/2 the paint I need to finish the project, just need one gallon.

I do things.

Comment

Current state of clear.

I do things.

Comment

Current state of clear.

Brutal. Sorry this happened to you!

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Comment