so you wanna tow with your bmw wagon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so you wanna tow with your bmw wagon?

Alyays thought it would be cool to be able to tow my race car to the track with my sick wagon
    until now

Yeah, one must respect the death wobble. There's a reason it was named that…
    Originally posted by Andy.B
    Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
    1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    I was born on 3/25…
    ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

A gentle application of an electric trailer brake would have sorted that out.

This was filmed in Europe.

In Europe the trailers are built different than North America. The NA ones have the wheels further back and, due to this, far more weight on the hitch. Europe centres the wheels allowing for a lighter hitch and, thanks to that, far smaller tow vehicles. They are also way more prone to this wobble and have lower speed limits for trailers than in NA to account for it. There is a certain speed where this oscillation happens on every setup, in NA that speed has just been designed higher. The downside of the NA setup is you need a tow vehicle that can handle a couple of hundred pounds of tongue weight.
      E30 Widebody 325is - M54b25 in progress (Track / AutoX)
      E39 Wagon 528i (with a clutch the way God intended)
      Toyota MR2 (Ice racer)

Comment

It's an Audi towing. Also most euro car carriers have surge brakes so no electric spike to stretch the rope back out.

Keep it slideways!!

Comment

I was towing a 14'' travel trailer with my e46 325xi wagon. I had electric brak with one of the best brake controller on the market. Did around 3-4000 miles without any issue. Also, my total weight of the trailer (about 2000pounds fully loaded) was still quite far under the weight of the towing vehicle... I don't know what the driver did on that video, but he should have floored it, or brake the trailer...
          E30 now S52
          2008 Suburban LTZ (Family and TT hauler)
          325xiT (Sold)

sigpic

Comment

I've seen a 2002 towing a 2002 race car on a flatbed... Anything is possible. If you wana look gangster ya' gotta take risks. Electronic brake controllers are amazing. Dad has one on his 2006 Cummins 3500'. Thing works like a dream.
            -1976 2002 daily (Sold)
            -1986 528e 5 speed daily

Comment

That trailer looked sketchy as f
              -Current-
              90 325i Coupe - Alpinaweiß II
              -Previous-
              92 525i 5speed Touring - Diamantschwarz Metallic
              03 540i Msport 6 Speed - Sterling Grau Metallic

Comment

I'm no trailer expert but i feel like the issue is the trailer is to high. it looks huge. any trailer i used the bed was below the top of the wheels.

Comment

hi
                  welcome to this forum site , here you can find lots of things , for your question you have to ask some any other expert , right now i have no knowledge about your question , sorry for that
                  ----------------------
                  Java Tutorial

Comment

I tow with my V12 swapped E34, have pulled another E34 a couple of times etc, tows very well plenty of torque.
                    and if i need to trailer that car, like when i tracked it a few years back, used a Nissan GQ Patrol i had at the time, not sure if you have those in the US. we dont have any american vehicles here really.

Comment

Originally posted by ethrty View Post
                      . we dont have any american vehicles here really.
                      Wheels on the wrong side of the car
                      ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

Originally posted by TimeMachinE30 View Post
                        Wheels on the wrong side of the car
                        nah its on the right

:D

Comment

Originally posted by ethrty View Post
                          nah its on the right

:D
                          Not that wheel... you guys are upside down in NZ. Wheels go on the roof.
                          ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

I've seen a Commodore down here (Pontiac G8 for the US guys) do exactly the same thing, and they're up around 1800kg - would have been heavier than the trailer and car on it combined.

I think it's more down to the trailer - the theory that it's too high vs. the tow vehicle probably has merit.
                            My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Guy shouldve pinned the throttle the second it started snaking

Comment

Working...
                              X