Project Weißer Regen: 91 318iS Restomod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jordan View Post
    I will later this week, wheel wells need to be black and I want to use a different product for that. They were not masked from the beige step since I will go in and back mask it into the beige doing the black.
    Wheel wells are body color from factory. Or do you just want those to be black?

Comment

Originally posted by pazi88 View Post
      black to hide the rubber from all the fuckin dope burnouts he'll be doing
      sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

Originally posted by pazi88 View Post
        Every E30 I've ever owned or worked on has had black painted wheel wells without exception. They are painted body color in production but it seems like they are then sprayed with black paint after, like the rocker sills and rear valance are after painting. If anyone has concrete evidence to the contrary I'm open to seeing it.

For example, 162mi original car with blacked wells:
        Last edited by Jordan; 05-16-2018, 07:09 AM.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
        https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

Alright, well sorry for not posting any updates lately, its been a rough few weeks for me.

At the end of May I stopped by Gulf Coast Designs to check on progress and open the crate of paint supplies shipped over from Sergio of 3rd Gear Customs located in Temecula CA, between Los Angeles and San Diego. 3rd Gear Customs like Gulf Coast Designs focus on quality over quantity and take on a limited number of jobs per year to ensure quality standards are exceeded every time.

Tamco's finest paint products will encase this E30 in a high gloss, durable candy shell.

Shortly after snapping that picture above I hopped in the car to head home. I made it maybe 5 minutes from the shop before all hell broke loose.

My light turned green and I set off forward. I made it maybe 1-1.5 car lengths into the intersection before a 17 year old kid still on his learners permit, driving alone, not listed on his parents insurance, not the owner of the car he was driving.... plowed into my front end while he was doing 40-45mph.

He was too busy playing on his phone to notice he had a red light.

He clobbered the left front wheel, fender and the deflection caused the ass of his car to smack the left rear door and quarter panel of my car. Seat belt, receptacle pretensioner, drivers wheel airbag, drivers knee airbag, drivers roof airbag, and drivers seat airbag all deployed.

I suffered a fairly bad 2nd/3rd degree burn on my left side from the gas generator that inflated the seat bag in such close proximity.

Link for those not squeamish:

Good news is that the kid acknowledged the extent of his screwup to the cop that responded, and his parents insurance company accepted 100% liability. Insurance came and looked at the car, quickly declared it a total loss. Bad news is they have state minimum coverage so I now have to file under my own policy to get more than the $25k they are able to offer.

Fast forward to this weekend, I'd reached out to a client regarding his M5 and worked a deal on it. Picked it up and drove it home yesterday. Really happy with it so far, lots of new potential. Initial plans for it are to try to salvage my old F10's wheels to put on this, and do downpipes and a tune.

Stock it makes 560hp. With downpipes and a tune it'll make 750+hp. That should suffice for a daily driver.

Comment

Sorry, that happened but seems you came out smelling like a rose!

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

yeah seems you took something bad and got a sweet whip yo!
              1990 325is
              m52b28
              3.73lsd
              g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

Glad to hear you're alright.
                I do things.

Comment

Really sorry for your car and luckily you're ok but I'm sure you'll make the best out of it with that M5.
                  I've been following your build for a while and I'd like to know what was the process involved to get the wheels looking like that (really interested in how the original paint was removed). I'm also in the process of restoring an Alpine White late model E30 and also have 5 Euroweaves haha
                  1990 Bmw 316i 2 door Alpine Weiß 2
                  1990 Bmw 535iA Alpine Weiß 2 (soon to be manual)

Comment

It could have been worse! Glad you are ok homie!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316212

BMWCCA #398608
                    IG @yagayo38

"The Best E30's were built with two camshafts four cylinders and sixteen valves!".

Comment

Sorry to hear about your accident and burn.

Congrats on the new M5. I'd be interested in your M5 wheels if you can salvage your others.

Comment

At least it wasn't the E30 out for the first test drive. You'd be in jail for murder.

Comment

Radio silence... hope all is well Jordan.
                          We're in deep now boys
                          1988 325i SETA - Daily driver
                          1988 340iL - Track car
                          My M60 V8 swap thread here
                          [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

All is well, I was planning on coming by this weekend to post a little update.

The E30 project was put on pseudo hold while I got my shit together with the insurance mess, buying back the 535i salvage, and parting out the mods and quick sellers.

I ordered 2 barrels and 1 face to repair the left side wheels from the 535i and wrapped them with new Michelin P4S in 305/30R20 and 275/35R20 rubber to toss on the M5. I also dyno'd the car and made right at 689whp/675wtq on pump 93. I run blended ethanol (E30-E35 net) daily though which is a WOAH power difference in the seat, although I haven't returned to the dyno to check that.

Very happy with it as my new daily driver.

Insurance is still a bit of a shit show. As said I've not recovered much from the other guy except medical costs. My insurance gave me very fair valuation on my basic car, but gave all but no consideration to the modifications done to it leaving me to retain the salvage and part it out in attempts at mitigating the massive loss.

I sent the kid, his parents, and the insurance company a certified demand letter citing my real world losses and the monetary sum still owed to me for their collective negligence. I told them if effort wasn't made to make me whole within 30 days of receipt that they should consider the letter intent to sue. Its been 3 weeks, and I haven't heard anything from the driver or his family. Insurance definitely got it, as they won't talk to me anymore

Next week I'll start looking for an attorney to shake the insurance company for the what I'm asking for (which is no more than the delta between what I had in the car and what I managed to get back out of it through their payout and my part out) and I feel that is about as god damn reasonable as you can ask for.

I don't see a path to success with the kid or his parents. I drove by their house, its in a ghetto run down neighborhood and the name on the tax rolls for the property isn't them so I assume they are renters. Texas is a terrible state when it comes to protecting debters, essentially indemnifying the have-nots from any accountability making the homestead, one vehicle per family member, and the first $30k ($60k if married) of personal property assets off limits to seizure to recover a judgement.

But I digress....

Some limited work has continued on the E30 at the body shop over the last month and a half although I haven't been able to go over and visit. I'm supposed to swing by next week to look over progress and tape the car up for primer with the painter so its all lined out exactly how I want it. Its really nice to work with a shop that is high quality low volume and can take the liberty of waiting for you to come by and approve everything as it moves forward.

Comment

Thanks for the update. Yeah I had a "friend" that's a mechanic "repair" our Denali. He took the $1k for the parts, drove it for 3 months, and it was hit while in his possession. All the time saying he was working on it and it was having some issues with the ECU.

So with the cash we gave him and the damage, we are out $2k. Got a court injunction(or whatever that useless piece of paper is called) sent him many notices, he hasn't responded to any of them throughout the process. The lawyer is going to try and make it so that we can get a warrant for his arrest. So if he is pulled over, he'll have a warrant.

Other than that...we are screwed...
                              1990 325is
                              m52b28
                              3.73lsd
                              g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

Stock it makes 560hp. With downpipes and a tune it'll make 750+hp. That should suffice for a daily driver.
                                I also dyno'd the car and made right at 689whp/675wtq on pump 93. I run blended ethanol (E30-E35 net) daily though which is a WOAH power difference in the seat, although I haven't returned to the dyno to check that.

Very happy with it as my new daily driver...
                                Im glad that 750+ is enough for you :devil:
                                Simon
                                Current Cars:
                                -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Working...
                                X