R3VLimited Forums

Go Back   R3VLimited Forums > E30 Technical Forums > E30 FAQ and DIY

Old 04-25-2018, 10:15 AM   #1171
redearedslider5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
Euro knuckles are plug and play with the rack swap. Just space out the subframe.
In the middle of the swap now and I left out an important detail before. My car was originally a 318i with factory manual steering. The new rack is mounted and the knuckle piece is way too long, unfortunately. Also, the factory pinion on the manual rack is much smaller diameter than the z3 pinion. All the articles on shortening the length of the knuckle seems to be based on the 'standard' e30 knuckle.

I can't seem to find any info on the manual steering knuckle, has this been documented?
redearedslider5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 11:46 AM   #1172
ScottSneed
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redearedslider5 View Post
In the middle of the swap now and I left out an important detail before. My car was originally a 318i with factory manual steering. The new rack is mounted and the knuckle piece is way too long, unfortunately. Also, the factory pinion on the manual rack is much smaller diameter than the z3 pinion. All the articles on shortening the length of the knuckle seems to be based on the 'standard' e30 knuckle.

I can't seem to find any info on the manual steering knuckle, has this been documented?
Try swapping the steering column? May be less of a headache than trying to get your current one to fit
ScottSneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 12:35 PM   #1173
LicensedToM
Noobie

Hey guys, I have a '91 318 (airbagged) and the rack just went out, so I'm of course looking at the e36 conversion. Any feedback on this on eBay? I'm weary of the quality, but wanted to see if anyone has had experience with these. I'm sorry if this has already been reviewed on r3v.

Thanks!
LicensedToM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 12:36 PM   #1174
TeXJ
E30 Enthusiast

You could say that again...oh and the link no worky worky
1987 325is 5spd tranny
TeXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 12:39 PM   #1175
redearedslider5

Quote:

For future reference, I ended up just buying the custom piece from Zionsville auto.
redearedslider5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 12:54 PM   #1176
LicensedToM
Noobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeXJ View Post
You could say that again...oh and the link no worky worky
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Complete-Po...sAAOSwOYFabnqZ

How's this?
LicensedToM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 07:50 AM   #1177
e304lyfe
Mod Crazy

Send a message via AIM to e304lyfe
Quote:
For future reference, I ended up just buying the custom piece from Zionsville auto.
Also for future reference.... As you found out, the manual steering rack linkage is entirely different. To remedy this you would need to purchase a standard early model power steering linkage and shorten it for an e36 rack install. I assume this is the part that zionsville sold you.
e304lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote