No announcement yet.

1995 e34 540i/6 *m60b44* - Return to Some Kind of Glory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its overheating just like before. So I am going to look into a new motor. If I am going to go to the trouble of pulling heads, I am going to just park the car and try for an m60b44 swap. Good news is that I have to ton of new cooling parts.

Still love the new steering wheel size btw.
    Last edited by marshallnoise; 10-21-2019, 03:02 PM.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
    Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
    Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

You stick with things after many would throw in the towel.
      ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

Originally posted by marshallnoise View Post
        Went for a ride. It's getting warm again. When I put coolant in the thing, it took a full 3 gallons. It puked about a 1/3 of a gallon out again. So then I topped it off. It puked a bit more and blew off some more coolant just before getting home.

The e-fan is working fine and I am getting flow through the radiator. I am going to let it cool over night and see what happens to the levels in the expansion tank. Oil is still oil in the sump. Coolant is still coolant in the expansion tank.

I may have to pull the heads off and get them tested. If I am going to go to that trouble, I am just going to put together an m60b44 hybrid. I am getting sick of this shit. Lol!

On another note, I pulled an 01 e39 sport steering wheel from the yard and installed it. Holy crap that makes a buge difference in the feel of the car. Much sportier. I don't have a horn or airbag at the moment and of course the controls don't work on the steering wheel, but the feel alone is worth it.
        I did an M60B30 to M60B40 swap on my E34 and instantly had a lot of cooling problems I didn't have with the B30 (I'm in the tropics)

Solution was

1. Vented hood

2. Electric cooling fan (normal E34 front aux fan in a puller position) to replace the unreliable clutch fan

We used a custom radiator with 2 temp sensors to trigger the fans

318i 80/88 temp sensor $30 ?

Probably a days easy work to fabricate the fan mounts and wire everything up.

The tricky part is where do you put the extra temperature switch , we run 80/88 and 91/99 switches BUT in climates not so hot you could probably get away with a single fan temp switch and run it to trigger both relays OR find somewhere else in the cooling system to put the additional fan switch.

17 pages on this mod here, worth doing

3. Big assed exhaust system to let the engine breathe

4 x 62mm dia pipes feeding into 2 x 4" expansion chamber and into a 4" flat oval rear pipe with a custom muffler and 2 x 3" outlets

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Even on the hottest day (45 deg C on the OBC) the 540/5 temp gauge sits left tangent to centre or dead centre , before it would start heading for the red zone

Also give your oil cooler a good clean and flush , they've normally never been touched for the life of the car and are partially blocked

Attached Files
        Last edited by 90-E34-M5; 03-07-2016, 07:32 AM.

Comment

Sorry to hear the overheating hasn't been resolved, but excited to see the new motor build!

Keep up the solid work. It's an inspiration to keep working on my 540i.

Comment

Originally posted by Walter View Post
            Sorry to hear the overheating hasn't been resolved, but excited to see the new motor build!

Keep up the solid work. It's an inspiration to keep working on my 540i.
            Thanks man!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

sorry if I am missing something... You are using a front mounted aux fan that is normally a pusher type fan, as a puller? Would that not conflict with pushing the air instead of pulling it out, like a puller type fan is designed to do?

Comment

Originally posted by 90-E34-M5 View Post
                I did an M60B30 to M60B40 swap on my E34 and instantly had a lot of cooling problems I didn't have with the B30 (I'm in the tropics)

Solution was

1. Vented hood

2. Electric cooling fan (normal E34 front aux fan in a puller position) to replace the unreliable clutch fan

We used a custom radiator with 2 temp sensors to trigger the fans

318i 80/88 temp sensor $30 ?

Probably a days easy work to fabricate the fan mounts and wire everything up.

The tricky part is where do you put the extra temperature switch , we run 80/88 and 91/99 switches BUT in climates not so hot you could probably get away with a single fan temp switch and run it to trigger both relays OR find somewhere else in the cooling system to put the additional fan switch.

17 pages on this mod here, worth doing

3. Big assed exhaust system to let the engine breathe

4 x 62mm dia pipes feeding into 2 x 4" expansion chamber and into a 4" flat oval rear pipe with a custom muffler and 2 x 3" outlets

Even on the hottest day (45 deg C on the OBC) the 540/5 temp gauge sits left tangent to centre or dead centre , before it would start heading for the red zone

Also give your oil cooler a good clean and flush , they've normally never been touched for the life of the car and are partially blocked

You went to extreme lengths to solve your cooling problems and that is impressive. I shouldn't have to do what you did though, no one should.

When I tear down this motor, I am expecting some sort of coolant blockage in the cylinder heads.

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Originally posted by TimeMachinE30 View Post
                  You stick with things after many would throw in the towel.
                  I have given up on two projects already! Can't make it a 3rd. Thanks man.

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Originally posted by nighthawk View Post
                    sorry if I am missing something... You are using a front mounted aux fan that is normally a pusher type fan, as a puller? Would that not conflict with pushing the air instead of pulling it out, like a puller type fan is designed to do?
                    I am not. I am using an electric Volvo puller in the puller position. Widely regarded as a wonderful upgrade on pretty much any car, including BMWs.

Our friend from Malaysia is using the aux pusher fan in the puller position.

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

I am not. I am using an electric Volvo puller in the puller position. Widely regarded as a wonderful upgrade on pretty much any car, including BMWs.

Our friend from Malaysia is using the aux pusher fan in the puller position.

Oh, gotcha. understood.

Comment

Our friend from Malaysia (Indonesia actually) is using the aux pusher fan in the puller position.
                        I have the standard BMW aux pusher fan installed AND a second BMW aux pusher fan installed in the puller position

TWO electric fans

The modifications are extreme for extreme conditions , when you're stuck doing 5 to 10kmh like this with radiated heat of 40 to 48 deg C from the road surface you want a good cooling system.

Comment

FYI a pusher fan working as a puller is not very efficient. Fans are always more effective when used in the positions they were designed for.

Comment

Maybe its reverse installed?

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Maybe its reverse installed?
                              Yes , the 'hub' of the fan is facing the radiator core.

Not efficient , I disagree , it pulls a lot more air than the stock belt driven fan, it works and it was free , I grabbed it from my pile of parts in the workshop

Yes it's installed the wrong way round but in this case it works.

Also picked up 1.7 RWHP on the dyno when we did this on an M5 , on the M60B40 it's probably a very slight 1 RWHP

Comment

So its a puller now. You might just go around saying that instead. Lol!

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Working...
                                X