Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 Coupe Subwoofer Boxes - No Longer Available

E30 Coupe Subwoofer Boxes

I wanted a set of sub boxes that didn't take up trunk space. After going through the trouble of designing the first box, I decided to make 3 more pairs with the remaining 1/2" MDF.

Let me start off by saying the boxes are not perfect. However they will fit behind your rear door cards perfectly. Screwing them together proved difficult with all the weird angles that make the box. Some screw created a little blow out in the edges. Nothing to be concerned about, they just aren't aesthetically pleasing (Which won't matter because you won't see them!) See the second picture and the boxes in the back. The boxes are lightly sprayed with truck bed coating for the purpose of water proofing (my passenger side quarter was dirty and wet from an accident that was repaired 20+ years ago).

The boxes are designed for MB Quart DS1-204 8 inch subwoofers. Other shallow mount 8's might fit, but I am not certain.

I am going to run a pair, so dual 8's, in my car. I will sell a single box if two buyers are found.

Pricing: $125 shipped for a pair. $75 shipped for a single.

List Date: 4/4/2017

For more info, click here to view the original listing: E30 Coupe Subwoofer Boxes
    --------------------------------------
    This item is no longer available.

--------------------------------------

Last edited by ArtFoodBMW; 04-10-2017, 08:23 AM.

Dope shit I might have to grab one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    91 318is "under construction"
    2007 328i - daily
    sigpic

Comment

Great idea. I had the same idea for convertibles but there's not a lot of room with the window mechanism.
      "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
      88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
      89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
      91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

That's tight. Should call them 'stealth'. It'll probably attract more people to this thread.
        P.O.S 1989 325is - aka Project Sh*tbox

Project Shitbox - Restomod and other stuff - soon to be 328is

Comment

F i r e!!!!!!!!

Comment

Did you have to cut out some of the sheet metal to get that opening to put that there?

Comment

Running dual subs is probably the best, one on each side of the quarter panels so you can align the bass properly if you want to get balls deep into audio. If you just want some bass you would never know the diff. This is a very good idea, I tip my hat to you. Are you bracing the box with any kind of brackets, sharp turns could cause a reverse dent in your quarter panels.

Comment

in for before pics of cutting

Please leave feedback below, thanks

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=358170

Comment

Originally posted by sketchkid View Post
                  Dope shit I might have to grab one

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
                  Great idea. I had the same idea for convertibles but there's not a lot of room with the window mechanism.
                  Originally posted by badwella View Post
                  That's tight. Should call them 'stealth'. It'll probably attract more people to this thread.
                  Originally posted by prada88m3 View Post
                  F i r e!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the positive responses! :D

Comment

Originally posted by sklbase View Post
                    Did you have to cut out some of the sheet metal to get that opening to put that there?

The opening did not cause any problems with the installation of the sub boxes. No cutting was required on my car. Just slide from the top down, inserting the wheel well side first.

Originally posted by grandtapestry View Post
                    Running dual subs is probably the best, one on each side of the quarter panels so you can align the bass properly if you want to get balls deep into audio. If you just want some bass you would never know the diff. This is a very good idea, I tip my hat to you. Are you bracing the box with any kind of brackets, sharp turns could cause a reverse dent in your quarter panels.
                    Didn't even think about the relationship of two duals like that! Good thinking. I used to run a 10in sub with a vented box in the trunk, but it slid around too often and took up too much favored trunk space. I had seen this idea elsewhere, and thought it was brilliant for the e30.

I figured the two 8's in much smaller boxes mounted in the cabin would be about equivalent to the vented 10 in the trunk. Guess we'll find out! My amp won't be delivered until next week, but I plan to mount it in the quarter as well (Marine amp that's waterproof and tiny!).

Bracing the subwoofer is up to you guys. The boxes I kept for myself were design #1 so they are a little bit too big. My first thought was to take the green deadening off the door panel backs, and tuck it behind the sub box to protect it from the body. With my pair I don't think that will work. With the other three it might! Plus I have the dynamat-like stuff already on the body behind the box.

You could also easily screw from the sheet metal on the wheel well side into the edge of the box that matches the wheel well shape. That is probably what I will do once I get everything wired up.

Comment

Subscribed.
                      How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
                      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

I'll take the last pair if you still got it. Pm sent

Comment

Always wanted to do this, great idea, I want to tackle it this summer.
                          sigpic1990 325IS,
                          2.7L bottom end, Shrick 272 Cam, and a heck of a lot of bald tires.

Comment

Dimensions

If no longer available can you give dimensions?
                            Been eyeing for these like a year now since I saw one on instagram. It's for my daily so looking for dimensions as nobody has them for sale to Finland atm and don't have time to tear the car apart for multiple times.

Comment

That's a fantastic idea.
                              Bryan - 1989 325i S50 swapped /1990 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

Working...
                              X