Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Determining correct oil viscosity for track use

Car Use: Track + autocross, only driven on the street to get to events
    Motor: M20B25, 10:1, 284/272 cam, VAC springs, intake, 20lb injectors, long tube headers, 2.5" straight exhaust, chip tuned
    Oiling: New oil pump, I-J crank scraper, VAC oil pan baffle, 19 row oil cooler, motor seems to have been built to "tight" tolerances

Prior to installing the oil cooler I was running Rotella T6 5w40 synthetic just because I had it and it was cheap. My oil would go up to 230* just cruising on the highway (4k RPM with a 4.10), so I knew I'd need an oil cooler. Oil pressures were around 22psi at idle and about 75-80psi at redline with that oil. The motor idles around 900-950 rpm.

When I installed the oil cooler, I switched over to Redline 15w50 synthetic. Oil pressure went up a bit across the board, but keep in mind also my temps dropped a good 20*+. My idle is now about 28-31psi and at redline I am at about 85-90psi.

Side note: My oil pressure gauge is an Innovate unit that has a resistance-type thermistor. With the engine OFF, the gauge reads 9-10psi, so keep in mind my pressures may not be that accurate (could be off by 10psi?). I just use it as a point of reference and to make sure the shit is not hitting the fan while on track. Innovate says this is normal behavior, so I have no idea.

During my track day yesterday, my temps averaged 220-225*F and the max temp I saw was 232*F. Pressures were solid, never dipping 60psi or so, even on sustained left hand corners which are tough on M20's. Water temps were always good, in the 185-190*F range.

Even if you deduct 10psi from my pressures, I'm still on the strong end of what you normally see in M20's. I've read that thinner oil can shed heat better, and I don't want to be putting unneeded strain on the motor and oil pump if this oil is thicker than it needs to be. On the street the oil only gets up to 180-185*F, and I think it's going to be tough to keep it that hot at autocrosses.

Based on the data above, would you say this oil is just what the doctor ordered, or should I give Redline 5w-40 (or 10w40 or 15w40) a try on my next fill? I have not been able to find much information on determining if oil is too heavy, just that if oil pressure is low heavier oil can bump it up. I'm comfortable with the oil getting up in the 230* range, but wouldn't want it getting a whole lot hotter than that.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

I think you're on the good side of 'just fine'.
    260f is ok for most good synthetics.

I WOULD, for track use, hook up a nice, big, fast reading mechanical oil pressure gauge.
    Because right handers...

t
    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Your engine needs an oil containing ZDDP, which has been removed from almost all oils.I use https://www.summitracing.com/search/...oview=SKU&ar=1

But it has less detergents and needs more frequent changes
      The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
      Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Your engine needs an oil containing ZDDP, which has been removed from almost all oils.I use https://www.summitracing.com/search/...oview=SKU&ar=1

The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
        Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

i think the gauges are def out . you shouldnt get 230* cruising w/o cooler, nor should you get over about 70psi unless the relief is modified but you can probably do a factorisation knowing it reads 10psi engine off and whatver it is at stone cold with a few thousand revs should be around 70 or whatever the cutoff is. it might just be a 10psi delta
          Last edited by digger; 08-18-2017, 03:54 AM.
          89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
            I think you're on the good side of 'just fine'.
            260f is ok for most good synthetics.

I WOULD, for track use, hook up a nice, big, fast reading mechanical oil pressure gauge.
            Because right handers...

t
            Thanks for chiming in.

Originally posted by jlevie View Post

Indeed. Redline oils have a ton of ZDDP.

Originally posted by digger View Post
            i think the gauges are def out . you shouldnt get 230* cruising w/o cooler, nor should you get over about 70psi unless the relief is modified but you can probably do a factorisation knowing it reads 10psi engine off and whatver it is at stone cold with a few thousand revs should be around 70 or whatever the cutoff is. it might just be a 10psi delta
            The oil pressure may or may not be accurate, but the temperatures seem right in line (especially now that I have an oil cooler). Remember, this is not a stock M20. I also believe it was probably assembled "tight." Keep in mind temps by the filter are much higher than temps would be if measured from the pan.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Working...
            X