X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FS: 1987 BMW 325is coupe, GC coilovers, much more - No Longer Available

FS: 1987 BMW 325is coupe, GC coilovers, much more

--- SOLD ---

1987 BMW 325is 170-180k miles (5 spd manual) Cardinal red interior, power windows and sunroof
    Car is located in Martinsburg, WV - about a 45-90 minute drive from most places in Northern Virginia and Maryland

I bought this car last year with every intention of building it into the ultimate daily driver and keeping it forever. Unfortunately, life never seems to work out the way we plan it, so due to the fact that my work situation has changed from a normal 40 hr work week to upwards of 60-65, I no longer have any spare time to work on it as I please. Plus my wife doesn't trust the kids in the back of a 30 year old car with the crash protection, so she's now forcing my hand to sell this and get something newer so we can all use it. I can't really argue with this point to be honest.

As you will see below, it's been thoroughly refreshed all within the last 1000 miles, and is pretty much done and ready to be enjoyed as-is as a daily, or for an engine swap for even more fun. Suspension is all done, along with all bushings and steering. This car handles *seriously* well and rides just as nice - no super jarring behavior over bumps or odd clunking noises. Just solid and planted.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some odds and ends here, but this should cover most everything that's been done. The only thing that stands out as mentioning as a con/bad is that the Condor diff bushing does transmit diff whine, so it's present while driving. Some people don't mind the noise, but I assume some would, so it's worth mentioning. The bushing does go into the cover, so if you can get a spare cover with a rubber bushing, you could swap them for road/track or use whatever you feel like just with a quick cover swap.

Otherwise, a couple of other smaller issues - the very bottom of the front bumper has an area with spidered paint in the center. It looks like something that could be easily fixed as it's just missing paint and not physically broken, but I don't have any body work experience. The factory radio doesn't have any battery backup, so it asks for a code to be entered each startup (I have the code). This is obviously not ideal, but it's honestly not a good sounding unit along with the old original speakers. I'd look to future replacement of the whole radio/speaker system if sound quality is a concern. The headliner is in decent shape but sags on the left side corner near the door and is a bit dingy looking. All in all, not out of the ordinary on a 30 year old car. The important bits are all solid.

Please PM me with any further questions or offers. Thanks for looking!

Prod. Date 1987-06-29
    Type code 1113
    Type 325I (USA)
    Series E30 (3 Series)
    Body Type LIM
    Steering LHD
    Engine M20
    Displacement 2.50
    Power 125kw / 170hp
    Drive HECK
    Transmission Manual
    Colour SCHWARZ (086)
    Upholstery (0256)

Options
    S209A Differential lock 25%
    S281A BMW LA wheel, chrome-plated/round spoke
    S325A Rear spoiler
    S401A Lift-up-and-slide-back sunroof, electric
    S410A Window lifts, electric, front
    S481A Sports seat
    S530A Air conditioning
    S540A Cruise control
    S551A On-board computer II with remote control
    S675A Sound System
    S704A M Sports suspension
    S708A M sports steering wheel leather

Engine:

Stock M20 170-180k miles

New timing belt, tensioner
    New radiator
    New water pump
    New ignition cap and rotor
    New drive belts
    New spark plugs
    New air filter
    New fuel filter
    New fuel tank, pump, fill hose
    Valve adjustment
    New intake boot elbow
    New 02 sensor

Magnaflow muffler welded to stock front section of exhaust

A/C system overhauled - R134a retrofit, new parallel flow condenser (huge improvement), new receiver/dryer with E36 single pressure sensor, new HVAC blower motor

Oil filter cooler body gaskets replaced at engine block, internal spring/thermostat replaced

Bavarian Restoration engine block ground cable and hood strap

--- see post 2 for add'l details - Panjo is limiting the character count on this post, sorry! ---

List Date: 10/21/2016

For more info, click here to view the original listing: FS: 1987 BMW 325is coupe, GC coilovers, much more
    --------------------------------------
    This item is no longer available.

--------------------------------------

Last edited by RampageRR; 12-13-2016, 01:20 PM. Reason: car is sold

Chassis/suspension:

Ground Control coilovers (full kit)
    Modified by Ground Control (shortened front strut bodies performed by GC, custom damping rate adjustable Konis)
    Spring rates 440f/650r
    Touring adjustable camber plates
    GC rear shock mounts and reinforcement plates

E46 purple tag steering rack from Rack Doctor, new inner and outer tie rods
    New P/S reservoir and hoses
    AKG poly steering shaft guibo
    New front sway bar end links
    New M3 Offset front control arm bushings
    Front ball joints replaced by PO (less than 3k miles)
    New front hub/wheel bearing assemblies
    Alignment performed after suspension installation

New Condor Speed Shop "Blackbird" setup
    - 12mm riser subframe bushings, rear trailing arm bushings, differential bushing, 12mm diff spacers and new hardware

Front and rear brake pads and rotors almost new (less than 3k miles)
    ECS Tuning stainless brake lines front, rear, and above subframe
    Brake fluid flushed and new

Exterior:

Very good condition exterior - as mentioner earlier, front lower air dam needs to be touched up or resprayed due to paint chips, but no large dents or scratches on exterior

15" mesh wheels with BMW logo center caps (unknown brand installed by PO)
    205/50 front 225/50 rear tires 85-90% tread left
    Early style bumpers painted body color
    Black front kidney grills

Both front door upper and lower hinge bushings replaced
    Both door seals / weatherstripping replaced
    Trunk seal replaced
    Taillight seals replaced
    Both front door panels removed and new door clips installed
    Working central control power door locks, working power windows
    Pop out rear windows

Interior:

Instrument cluster complete restoration by Bavarian Restoration (new odo
    gears, resoldered SI board with new batteries, all new cluster bulbs, etc -
    check out website for full description of work performed - http://bavrest.com/instrument-clusters.html)
    Alum style cluster rings installed during restoration, cluster plastics
    polished and cleaned - looks new

Condor Speed Shop SSK (new bushings in shifter assy), Z3 1.9 shifter,
    Condor shorty weighted knob with Motorsport style cap
    Renown 100 Motorsport wheel - perforated leather with tri-color stitching,
    Motorsport horn
    Still have original sport steering wheel as well (can be seen in some of the posted pics)
    Momo hub adapter

A/C blower motor - new
    Power sunroof cables replaced, sunroof working
    Carpet in great condition, front seats in pretty good shape other than
    driver seat outer bolster stitching came apart - looks like it could be
    restitched by an upholstery shop
    Rear seats - leather intact but a little dry looking - could be completely
    fixed with Leather Magic / Leatherique type restoration products
    Door cards in great shape
    New glove box latch

Misc:

Sunroof drains cleared out and cleaned
    Fuel filler vent cleaned
    Replaced interior bulbs (behind HVAC controls, OBC buttons, etc)
    New accelerator pedal, brake pedal bushings
    New throttle cable
    New wiper blades
    New driveshaft guibo, rear output shaft seal, and selector shaft seal on
    transmission
    Trunk tar removed (~50-60 lbs removed)
    New battery

Please note that the original post reflected the car has 135,500 miles. The odometer does indicate 135k miles, but as you'll see below, I was informed by a previous owner (before the one I bought from) that the mileage was not accurate and that the cluster had been replaced. I've changed the original post to reflect the mileage range it would likely fall in, but I don't have an exact mileage to post. I just want all the information to be out there for you to make the decision if you're interested before coming out to look at it. 35-50k additional miles isn't bad over a 30 year period (1-1.5k additional miles a year on average), but it does need to be mentioned. Thanks for looking!
    Last edited by RampageRR; 11-03-2016, 08:23 AM. Reason: New information provided by a previous owner

Comment

Very NIce.

Any shots under the doors, trunk and underside?

Comment

Thanks! Yeah, I'll get some posted tomorrow. I meant to this afternoon but got stuck with work, so I just posted what I had available at the moment. Definitely will get the important spots up tomorrow.

Comment

If anyone else wants to see these areas, I put a bunch of pics in a Google Photos album. Just PM me and I'll get the link over to you. Thanks!

Comment

Pending sale. I'll update this with any additional info as it comes.

Comment

Last edited by fresh_TD; 11-17-2016, 03:37 PM.
              '91 318i (Alpine) - daily
              '88 325ix (Zinno) - drive here and there!

Comment

If this was your car, what is your estimate of the mileage? Was the motor swapped?

Comment

Last edited by fresh_TD; 11-17-2016, 03:36 PM.
                  '91 318i (Alpine) - daily
                  '88 325ix (Zinno) - drive here and there!

Comment

Car is back up for sale. Definitely disappointed to have held this in "pending sale" status so please only serious inquiries. PM me for details - I have tons of extra pictures of whatever area you'd like to see, and I can get more of whatever you need.

Comment

Too rich for me..and I am fairly close.

Comment

Price is OBO.

Comment

Originally posted by fresh_TD View Post
                          It's not an if..it was my old car few years ago. I bought it with broken odo gears. I bought the car with it's original engine in it. I have no clue if the original M20 still in there.That's for the current seller to answer. When I bought it, the odo read 17x,xxx miles. Unless the current owner swapped in a low mileage M20 in the car, the original engine is definitely not a 135k mile engine.
                          Can the OP comment on these questions form the PO? I think it may help sell the car and answer some conflicting concerns.
                          F80 M3 Alpine
                          E10 Fjord Blue 2002
                          E28 Blackish 535i
                          E21 Silver 320i
                          Disco1 98 4.6
                          ~~~~~~
                          E30 Cirrus coupe S50 SOLD
                          E30 325i SOLD
                          E30 Alpine 325i vert Euro spec SOLD
                          E30 Alpine coupe 325is SOLD
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by e30_world View Post
                            Can the OP comment on these questions form the PO? I think it may help sell the car and answer some conflicting concerns.
                            Sure, I haven't responded to them yet because I didn't want this to turn into a speculation thread. That being said, obviously that post is not helping the car look like a good option for a buyer.

First and foremost - I don't know whether or not this user has ever owned this car, and I don't have any solid proof to say he did. I've reached out to him as did the prospective buyer, and we were both asked to provide him with my VIN to see if he's owned the car. Obviously I'm not going to provide him with the VIN as if he's owned the car previously, he'd already have that information.

On top of the info above, I had a person email me outside of this forum asking if I'd come down on price within 2-3 hours of his post being placed. Then, when I followed up with that email, I found out he was a friend of the person who says he owned the car before.

Again, not calling anyone out as I don't have specific proof either way - I'm just going to say that this is all super fishy and I would 100% have appreciated he approached me via PM to discuss the fact that he believed the info I posted wasn't accurate rather than just putting this into my thread without any proof provided.

I have the CarFax for this vehicle, and it never shows an odometer reading anywhere close to 170k miles - it actually doesn't even show anything much over 100k miles the last time it was reported. So, either he's mistaken and his car looked very similar to mine, he's trying to get me to lower the price so his friend can pick it up, or this is a huge coincidence and he has owned the car and I was given a bunch of different information by the PO about the history of the car.

Either way, I invite anyone who's interested in the car to please reach out to me for any additional pics, info, or questions. I have nothing to hide and I welcome any interested buyers to come and look at the car in person.

Thanks!
                            Last edited by RampageRR; 11-02-2016, 09:26 AM. Reason: added quote from e30_world

Comment

Hopefully Curly65 sees this and can add his comments/thoughts as well. I'd appreciate it!

Comment

Working...
                              X