Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

valve cover vent and AN fitting?

Hey everyone,

I am trying to mock up some of the small bits today, and one of them is the catch can setup. I have seen several pictures of what look like AN fittings fixed to the valve cover to run hoses off of for the catch can. Does anyone know how people have accomplished this? The part is designed for a BMW clip on hose, so I don't really know how people have been accomplishing this.

Thoughts?

i actually retained the original plastic fitting, cut the original hose, then threaded the AN fitting over the plastic.

Works fine
    RHD OBD2 M50b25 turbo build thread:
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=384800

Comment

that's not a bad idea...

Comment

More than just a pretty face
        RHD OBD2 M50b25 turbo build thread:
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=384800

Comment

Originally posted by ba114 View Post
          More than just a pretty face
          Yeah :D

But If you need to have it bigger for turbo use for example, and you don't have to use AN fittings, just hammer in piece of pipe instead of that plastic clip on thing and run 1 inch hose to your catch can. Cheap, fast, easy and works perfectly. You need to have something like AN18 fittings to reach same ID.

Also remember that the m50 valve cover has magnesium in it, so you can't weld an fitting to it.

Comment

I might give that a shot as well.

Comment

I run a larger hose overtop the OBD2 barb.

I'm not a fan of threading for AN fittings for this because it reduces diameter massively.
              Originally posted by priapism
              My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
              Originally posted by shameson
              Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
                I run a larger hose overtop the OBD2 barb.
                Mee too. But that doesn't fit m50 valve cover. And the m50 one also has tiny hole, so it's not very good as it is for boosted engine.

Comment

You mean like this? I used a M22 to -10an adapter and JB welded it into the PCV port of the IM. I scored the inside of the plastic first before the JB weld. It's in there very solid.

'89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
                  Shadetree30

Comment

did you drill a second port into the head for venting as well? I don't think I have ever seen anyone with a second hose coming out of the front of the valve cover/head like that.

Comment

Originally posted by haaken675 View Post
                      did you drill a second port into the head for venting as well? I don't think I have ever seen anyone with a second hose coming out of the front of the valve cover/head like that.
                      No, I used an AN metric adapter to screw into the vanos bolt access hole. It was a bad idea. On the street its fine, but at the track or autox where you're doing wayyyyy harder braking than the street it was just gushing oil out that port into the catch can.

If anything I'd switch to the OBD1 valve cover, cap the original PCV port and put two holes on the top of the valve cover for additional PCV venting. My NA s52 doesn't need it though. It's doing fine with the single original port and the catch can accumulates minimal oil.

EDIT: on second thought, I think the -10an to M22 adapter was the one I used on the vanos bolt hole. I forget what size I used int he valve cover, but if you just measure it and find an adapter fitting thats close you can JB weld it in there solid
                      Last edited by Sh3rpak!ng; 01-23-2018, 04:05 PM.
                      '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
                      Shadetree30

Comment

Comment

Working...
                        X