wheel hub and bearing replacement issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wheel hub and bearing replacement issue

i just "finished" a front wheel hub and bearing replacement on my e30.

When i tightened the the wheel nut, the hub was no longer able to spin. I dont think i tightened it too much, didn't even use a torque wrench... did i mess up the wheel hub during installation?

only thing i think i might have messed up was I was pounding the hub with a wooden block instead of hitting the inner race. could that have messed up the wheel bearing assembly ?:?

Will it not spin at all? It should have a little bit of friction, but not a lot. It's possible hitting the face of the hub could have damaged the bearing. The inner cage is plastic and can break. The bearing should just slide on, no hammering needed. A light sanding of the spindle with emery cloth should allow the bearing to slide on easy. A little anti-seize never hurts either.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewBird View Post
      Will it not spin at all? It should have a little bit of friction, but not a lot. It's possible hitting the face of the hub could have damaged the bearing. The inner cage is plastic and can break. The bearing should just slide on, no hammering needed. A light sanding of the spindle with emery cloth should allow the bearing to slide on easy. A little anti-seize never hurts either.
      I haven't put the wheel on, but when tightened to spec torque, it doesn't spin. If i loosen a bit, then it spins properly.

Comment

Doesn't sound like it is completely seated
        1989 325i LS Swap (Money Pit):https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=244933
        COTM Feb 2019: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=428404

Comment

mmm, could be. i'll try to hit the inner race a bit more and see if that helps

Comment

Working...
          X