Porsche 911 Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LJ851 View Post
    Been driving the 911 a lot and doing jetting changes. I've made good progress and currently have a setting that has good throttle response, doesn't foul plugs and has a good full throttle profile.

It's current fault is that it runs super rich at light throttle and i haven't been able to address that without causing an unacceptable compromise is throttle response.

My drivers side door handle trigger just broke so i need to fix that too.

The joys of changing carb jets. How rich at light throttle..?
    Need a Turbo manifold? We have them in stock- Click here---> http://rapidspoolindustries.com/

Comment

Love it.
      '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Originally posted by Good & Tight View Post
        The joys of changing carb jets. How rich at light throttle..?

Right now i would say average light throttle (cruise) is 11 to 1. The smaller the throttle opening, the richer it is. If you just tip into it, it is down in the high 10's and before i get to 1/4 throttle it is back into the 12's.

Something new i have learned is that motronic cams are not what the carbs are designed for and the lack of overlap is a contributor to my issue. A set of cams with decent overlap would probably make it run and sound noticeably better.

Originally posted by Austin! View Post
        Love it.

Thanks, Austin
        Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
        The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Originally posted by LJ851 View Post
          Right now i would say average light throttle (cruise) is 11 to 1. The smaller the throttle opening, the richer it is. If you just tip into it, it is down in the high 10's and before i get to 1/4 throttle it is back into the 12's.
          Could be the idle circuit.
          Here's a good trouble shooting write up that focuses on the IDA's.

Need a Turbo manifold? We have them in stock- Click here---> http://rapidspoolindustries.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Good & Tight View Post
            Could be the idle circuit.
            Here's a good trouble shooting write up that focuses on the IDA's.

http://www.jiminglese.com/weber5_005.htm

With a smaller idle main jet and larger idle air jet i can create mid-upper 13 AFRs at part throttle which is great but it gets really hard to start (no chokes) and it creates a big lean flat spot on tip in. Also tons of backfiring through the carbs on transitional throttle.

I feel like if i can get the accelerator pumps to kick in a good bit sooner i could make those idle jet settings work.

From what i understand, the cams (motronic) are part of the problem with their very small overlap numbers. The carbs are just not designed for that.

Thanks for the link.
            Lorin

The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Went up to Road Atlanta for the fall vintage races, parked next to some fancy cars.

Lorin

The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Great stuff
                SO MUCH MORE TO DO!!
                IG: ohthejosh

LEGIT CHECK ME BRUH
                BUYER FEEDBACK THREAD

Comment

Not a lot has changed on the car recently, just driving it a lot. I had 15 inch wheels on it for a while and the ducktail has been on and off twice. I finally got some street tires in the sizes i wanted for the 16 inch wheels and lowered the front a little.

Current pic

[IMG][/IMG]
                  Lorin

The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

always love the look on a wingless 911 coupe

Comment

Yeah, I like this era with no wing. That looks great - black is good, wheels are good, the height is good. Very nice.

I have a friend with a 60s 911 with old Zeniths, and they leak fuel and idle way too rich and pop pop.

Comment

I enjoyed your build thread ...

Being here in the Atlanta area some things I could understand 100%.

I've taken on a similar, yet BMW. project & am bring it back to life.

Keep driving ... and hope to see you out on the roads.

Comment

You can get the accel pumps to come online sooner, the have some adjustment or you can talk richard into selling you a set of the "hatchets" that drive the pump plunger to shoot more fuel in.
                          In reality due to it being air cooled and somewhat of a inefficient combustion chamber 12.5 is probably a better number to shoot for at full throttle.

Comment

Originally posted by AudioNToxication View Post
                            You can get the accel pumps to come online sooner, the have some adjustment or you can talk richard into selling you a set of the "hatchets" that drive the pump plunger to shoot more fuel in.
                            In reality due to it being air cooled and somewhat of a inefficient combustion chamber 12.5 is probably a better number to shoot for at full throttle.

I already have the hatchets from Richard and they did help, but not enough to get my light throttle AFRs to a reasonable number. The car drives very well by seat of the pants, i just don't like knowing its so rich in places.
                            Lorin

The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

whatever happened to the megasquirt this was running when you bought it?
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:
                              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                                whatever happened to the megasquirt this was running when you bought it?

The megasquirt on the car was 911 specific kit to replace the CIS injection and i sold that pretty early on.
                                Lorin

The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Working...
                                X