X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is actually funny...

Comment

Originally posted by SnPaC View Post
      Do you remember which chip it was that yielded decent performance gains on the M42?
      mine was the pro formance one. it was a local guy that sells on ebay and does his own tunes, theyre not copies. so he says.

Comment

Originally posted by E30nate View Post
        mine was the pro formance one. it was a local guy that sells on ebay and does his own tunes, theyre not copies. so he says.
        Same chip. Same results.

Comment

instead of shitting all over something you know nothing about (just because it comes from ebay), how about we just open our ears and listen to the REVIEWER. that is the point of this forum, no?

to the OP, how is your fuel mileage now?

Comment

Originally posted by robspeed325i View Post
            to the OP, how is your fuel mileage now?

um i dont realy know it usualy at 5 ;). no i havent realy noticed a diff in mpg from anything i have done to the car. its usualy at 25+ if i drive like a normal person (never happens)
            86 325e limo
            build thread
            http://r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=126204

Comment

I apparently just bought one of these without knowing it. Someone was selling it on CL as a "Dinan" chip but all they did was swap the label from the actual Dinan chip onto this one (could see the thumb marks where the label was peeled), and was stupid enough to include the sheet of paper saying "Innovative Autosports" with it. I think I might get it dyno'd to see if it's actually worth anything. I am still so pissed off cuz I paid $80 for a $40 chip...
              1987 Toyota MR2: 20v blacktop screamer
              sigpic
              2013 Subaru BRZ: the new hotness
              1991 318is Alpine White: sold
              1989 325i Alpine White: sold

Comment

Originally posted by MazterDizazter View Post
                I apparently just bought one of these without knowing it. Someone was selling it on CL as a "Dinan" chip but all they did was swap the label from the actual Dinan chip onto this one (could see the thumb marks where the label was peeled), and was stupid enough to include the sheet of paper saying "Innovative Autosports" with it. I think I might get it dyno'd to see if it's actually worth anything. I am still so pissed off cuz I paid $80 for a $40 chip...

Dyno that bad boy, and the stock chip. See what it comes up with and post back. We need more actual proof of these; not just butt-dynos.

Comment

Turns out it was a Dinan spec chip after all. Little mix-up, but I'm glad in the end. I would've liked to prove whether or not those ebay chips are worth their salt but I really don't support cheap knockoffs anyways.
                  sigpic

Comment

In general, ebay chips are copies of the Dinan chip.

Dinan is universally accepted as the worst of the major e30 chips. Only works at WOT, not much gain.

JimC/TunerMS chips are regarded as pretty decent. Optimized for 91 octane. Decent gain. I had one, didn't feel too much of a difference.

MarkD - best you can buy. Expensive, but you might as well do it right. I felt a big difference when switching from JimC to MarkD. Optimized for 93 octane (although 91 octane chips are available), so you would expect the biggest gains, and it delivers. Definite throttle-response improvement, definite power improvement. And this was coming directly from a JimC chip in the same car.

I highly, highly doubt anybody is going to "blow your engine!" with an ebay chip. Why would an ebay knockoff chip burner go through the hassle of writing their own chips when they can easily just steal somebody elses? What you are getting will mimic the original Dinan exactly. IE, probably not worth it.

Personally I am against ripoffs. When it comes to e30-specific stuff, always support those who support the community.

If I were to do it all again, I honestly wouldn't even bother with a chip. Ulimately it's a lot of money for not much gain, even for the best chip. Take all that money you were going to spend on tiny bolt-ons and start an engine swap/FI fund. Or hell, a retirement fund.

'88 325is
                    VP UT of Austin Autoholics
                    BMWCCA 380364

Comment

Installed the Dinan chip today. Not a majorly noticeable gain but it did seem peppier at WOT in the high rev range, and the raised rev limiter is a godsend. Honestly it's just what I wanted for a mild performance increase, and for $80 can't really beat it. Since I'm already doing engine swaps/turbocharging at the same time to my other two cars, I don't wanna go crazy on the daily driver. The E30 has already delayed my projects far enough, lol.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by E30nate View Post
                        i had a ebay chip in my m42. i dynoed it with and without it. picked up 12hp and 10ft lbs, so i guess some of them work and some dont. if i had the money, i would have bought a mark d for it though, just to be safe.
                        I actually got a bit more from my Pro Formance ebay chip on the m42... Don't remember the exact dyno numbers, but it was dramatic... Not sure who they copied, but it works.
                        "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
                        -----------------------------------------
                        91 318is Turbo Sold
                        87 325 Daily driver Sold
                        06 4.8is X5
                        06 Mtec X3
                        05 4.4i X5 Sold
                        92 325ic Sold & Re-purchased
                        90 325i Sold
                        97 328is Sold
                        01 323ci Sold
                        92 325i Sold
                        83 528e Totaled
                        98 328i Sold
                        93 325i Sold

Comment

Well, I have a "pro formance" stage III ebay chip that came with the car, along with the original chip and a Mark D 93 octane chip. The pro formance one ran way rich, but it was pretty torquey compared to the stock chip. Also seemed to have a better idle. The mark D chip has a little less midrange, but the top end is better, better throttle response and response off idle, and got me another 3 mpg over the stock chip, which itself was about 3 better than the ebay one.

EDIT: of course all this is with the butt dyno. One of these days I'll take it to a dyno and test them all just for kicks and giggles if I ever get the chance.

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

dinan chip! i bought one off ebay for 70 dollars. awesome results.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by alpinweib30 View Post
                              chips in. never had a chipped e30 before but i can deff feel a good diff. in power mid/high range.
                              I bought one of these chips and I too thought I felt a difference upon first putting it in, then I switched back to my OE one and felt zero difference. I think the initial power gain may be in your head. Swap back to your OE and see if you notice anything.

I was younger then and poorer. Now I'm getting a Mark D. chip, but he hasn't returned any of my e-mails. Anyone done any business with D'sylva tech lately? Last I heard he was out of chips and was expecting more soon.
                              West German BMWs, they just don't make the same as they did before the wall fell.
                              ^Case in point: Auto-Repair Technology. Everytime my car isn't starting or acting up I let it sit, sometimes for an hour, sometimes for days. But it eventually fixes itself.

Comment

Working...
                              X