Zephyr's Lachs M52B30 Stroker Build **ITBs**

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zephyr's Lachs M52B30 Stroker Build **ITBs**

Hey r3v, I've been planning this build for the better part of a year and it's finally time for me to get started. It's been done before but I think a S50 clone using a m52 block and m54 internals is still interesting.

It's going to be picture heavy but I'll add descriptions where necessary :D

Thanks for taking a look!

* Build by Zephyr Pitre *

M54B30 Rotating Assembly:

M52B28 Rotating Assembly:

Old Crank:

Ready for new pistons!

And the shell...

Last edited by Metallated; 09-23-2019, 09:09 PM.

Subd
    Singer Vehicle Design.
    Quan@singervehicledesign.com

Comment

Looking good so far...engine that is... :)
      BMWCCA #389756

Comment

this is gonna be rad. thinking about cams?
        1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

If you are thinking cams, I think I'm ready to upgrade from my Metric Mechanic Rally spec cams to something more aggressive!

Comment

Originally posted by wworm View Post
            this is gonna be rad. thinking about cams?
            Originally posted by Jaker View Post
            If you are thinking cams, I think I'm ready to upgrade from my Metric Mechanic Rally spec cams to something more aggressive!
            Thanks for the interest everyone!

Currently I'm planning to use the m54 intake cam, for long duration and better lift. Ideally I'd like to get a pair of s52 cams but I can't afford them right now...

Today I cleaned the cylinders; I was expecting to need to shear them to remove the ridges formed by the pistons, but I was happy to see that very little of an edge had formed. However for anyone looking to build a stroker this is very important to check, if it's big and not removed it can snap piston rings.

Ridge remover:

I also resurfaced the block:

Last edited by Metallated; 09-18-2017, 12:12 PM.

Comment

I'll be following this closely!

What rings are you using?
              1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
              1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post

I thought about replacing the rings but the ones on my pistons look decent, so I'm hoping I can get away with reusing them. We'll see if this comes back and bites me in the ass..

Comment

Looking forward to this build! I actually bought an M54B30 donor to rob the internals from to do this exact build with but ended up with an S52.

Comment

Subscribed! Looking forward to your progress Zephyr!
                    '89 Schwarz E30 M3 Cabriolet Build

Comment

Originally posted by Jaker View Post
                      I think the new owner of the Aluminum Monster might be interested in these. PM me details
                      Simon
                      Current Cars:
                      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

I have all these parts from 2 engines at home. Awaiting more details that you find before diving in head first.
                        Singer Vehicle Design.
                        Quan@singervehicledesign.com

Comment

Originally posted by Metallated View Post
                          I thought about replacing the rings but the ones on my pistons look decent, so I'm hoping I can get away with reusing them. We'll see if this comes back and bites me in the ass..
                          Many differing opinions on this on the interwebs, but IMO, you are putting the same bore size pistons into a (lightly) honed/worn block, so you are at least going to lose a few thou there. I'd replace them.

FYI, Grant makes some good, affordable rings, because the OE variants are ridiculously expensive.

Folks typically steer away from the Mahle rings due to the coating on them from what I've been told, cannot verify this 100%.

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                          I think the new owner of the Aluminum Monster might be interested in these. PM me details
                          Hey back off they're mine :devil:
                          Last edited by AWDBOB; 09-18-2017, 05:52 PM.
                          1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                          1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

I wouldn't reuse piston rings...yes, they cost a lot, but it isn't worth the effort to tear your engine down to rebuild it twice, just to save a few bucks now...
                            '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Originally posted by Austin! View Post
                              I wouldn't reuse piston rings...yes, they cost a lot, but it isn't worth the effort to tear your engine down to rebuild it twice, just to save a few bucks now...
                              Many differing opinions on this on the interwebs, but IMO, you are putting the same bore size pistons into a (lightly) honed/worn block, so you are at least going to lose a few thou there. I'd replace them.

FYI, Grant makes some good, affordable rings, because the OE variants are ridiculously expensive.

Folks typically steer away from the Mahle rings due to the coating on them from what I've been told, cannot verify this 100%.

Yeah I know.. I don't want to reuse them either but I've already spent much more money than I'd like and I still need an oil pan and flywheel.

I did some reading and it seems like the M52 rings are beefier and preferred, as it seems that although they drag less M54 rings wear easier and burn oil once they do. I want to keep the M54 pistons and rods because they are balanced with the crank, and they're a bit shorter than M52 pistons, making them perfect for a 10.5:1 compression, which is what I'm aiming for.

I've done a bit of research and I think I can put the lower two M52 rings on the M54 piston. I'm not very confident this will work so if it doesn't I'm planning to use the M52 pistons and rings, and use a thicker head gasket.

I really appreciate all the advice and opinions!

Comment

Working...
                              X