Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Leak - Head Gasket?

Hey everyone,

First-time poster. I recently took a bit of a gamble buying a 220k mile (with no service records) '89 325i off eBay ($2125). So far, I think I've done OK. Ran an autocheck and it was a single owner car that appears to have been well maintained. The body and interior are straight (a couple exterior pics if you're curious):

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.

My mechanic just did:
    Oil Service
    Alternator Belt
    Power Steering belt
    Fuel hoses (there was a leak)
    Coolant hoses under intake manifold
    Timing Belt / crank and cam seals (t-belt was previously done at 180k, there was a sticker on fuse box)
    water pump and thermostat
    valve adjustment and cover gasket.

Looking around the engine compartment yesterday, I noticed a wet spot at the very front of the engine, just to the right and below the exhaust manifold:

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.

It's large enough to make the immediate area wet with oil but I haven't noticed any smoke, and it's not dripping to the ground. Drove it a few miles yesterday and my oil level is staying ok.

My plan is to watch it for a week to see how strong a leak it is before taking it back to my mechanic. If it's not losing too much oil I'll probably live with it for the time being.

I'm guessing it's the head gasket, but thought I'd ask here. Thanks.

-Troy
    Last edited by e30_troy; 12-18-2017, 02:43 PM. Reason: edited exterior pics to obscure license plate

An engine i had did that too. I changed the headgasket and of course it went away.

I changed the gasket cause i had the engine out. Wouldnt suprise me if it was fine indefinatly with a weaping leak like that.

I think its fairly common.

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
      An engine i had did that too. I changed the headgasket and of course it went away.

I changed the gasket cause i had the engine out. Wouldnt suprise me if it was fine indefinatly with a weaping leak like that.

I think its fairly common.
      That's what I was banking on. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Comment

Indeed - that's a head gasket seeping. That's a very common spot for them to leak.

The E30 collection:
        1987 325es M52 - Schwarz / Taurus Red Sport (son #2's)
        1987 325is - Delphin / Black Sport (son #3's)
        1987 325i Convertible - Triple Black
        1989 325iX Coupe - Diamondschwarz / Black Comfort
        1990 325iX Coupe - Sterling Silver / Grey Sport

1981 Fiat 124 Spider 2000 - Green / Tan
        1998 Volvo V70 GLT - White / Tan
        1998 Volvo S70 T5 manual - White / Taupe
        2001 Ford Windstar - Silver / Grey (parts hauler)
        2006 Lexus GX470 - White / Tan (tow rig)

Comment

Originally posted by 101 View Post
          Indeed - that's a head gasket seeping. That's a very common spot for them to leak.
          Glad to hear it.

Found this thread which seems to be the same issue I'm having. Glad it's common.

Comment

An engine i had did that too. I changed the headgasket and of course it went away

Did you machine the head at all or just replace the gasket?

Comment

Looks like you got a good deal, Heck 220K, its just broke in. Regular maintenance expect well over 300K.
              sigpic
              Steve Corbett
              1983 528E Scrapped
              1983 528E Sold
              1984 745I
              1984 325E - Sold
              1989 325I Bronzit-Sold
              1989 325I Zinno
              1988 635CSI

Comment

that could very well be a headgasket. There is an oil return hole in that area, usually occurs when HG was changed and block/head wasn't surfaced or cheap HG. You can try taking the valve cover off and check the torque on your head bolts but it wont' fix it most likely.
                On the other hand, right side is the lowest as the engine is slanted so any leaks that occur above/to the right of that area will show up there. Common M20 leaks are head blind plugs (p/n 11331264519) or the cam seal. I'd clean that area with the degreaser and keep an eye on the area.

Comment

my bet is on the cam seal, cam seal housing o ring, or valve cover gasket grommets. That is Goetze head gasket, those don't leak, only Victor Reinz leaks

Comment

Originally posted by tim88325is View Post

Did you machine the head at all or just replace the gasket?
                    Head was fully reconditioned. Unsure if it was bent before but yer they skim it flat.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBMW View Post
                      my bet is on the cam seal, cam seal housing o ring, or valve cover gasket grommets. That is Goetze head gasket, those don't leak, only Victor Reinz leaks
                      I know this is an old thread, but better to continue old ones and use the search than start new ones.

The head on my car is "new", was replaced 2,500 kms ago, new camshaft, valves, springs etc.

This was done in June 2017, so i guess there is no warranty left, will call the shop on Monday and see if they can repair this or not.

With that said, the invoices shows one cam seal in the front was replaced and so was the cover gasket and head gasket. However, it is unknown to me what brand(s) were used and no indication of the second cam O-ring and the rocker plugs ever being replaced, which makes no sense to me since the head is brand new.

I really do not wish to tear down the head, only to go through all that work when either an O-Ring or plug is the cause. So i guess i shall order a new timing belt kit with tensioner, pump, housing, thermostat etc. Might as well replace the radiator, hoses etc and get all the front O-rings/seals replaced.

Do you think this is probably better to search the front end/plugs/belts/cooling system first before tearing down the head?

Comment

Working...
                      X