No announcement yet.

M30 how would they know?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you're able to pass the sniffer test and have a functioning check engine light, I don't see why it would be hard to pass BAR.

OBDI BAR passing isn't that complicated.

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
      Also it says 3.5 in very large metal letters on the side
      Not if you grind it off and paint. Hmmm. Wonder why someone would do that?

Originally posted by Matt-B
      hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
        Not if you grind it off and paint. Hmmm. Wonder why someone would do that?
        Exactly!
        Part of the fun of stuffing that massive lump under the hood, is to be able to show it off!
        If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

Did the same with mine... the 3.5 casting is machined off the block too meeting my ultimate sleeper aims :D

At a BMW drivers club meet enthusiasts wandered past my car for around 6 hours before someone in the afternoon noticed it had an M30 in it, so if it meets stock specs there'd be smog guys too slack to notice I'm sure.
          My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

In LA they advertise dirty smogs on Craigslist for <$200 lol
            Build Threads:
            Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

god i absolutely love washington, nobody gives a shit, and everything is green and we have guns lol

Please leave feedback below, thanks

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=358170

Comment

Originally posted by Matt-B View Post
                god i absolutely love washington, nobody gives a shit, and everything is green and we have guns lol

Well Washington doesn't have the same terrain difficulties that LA does. Pollution can get trapped in the LA area, hence why CARB has been so aggressive with emissions requirements since it was founded.

Even with the strict emissions requirements, large portions of California have moderate air quality. Still much better than it was in the 70's.

As much of a pain that SMOG checking is, it's worth it in my view. Air quality used to be so terrible in the past. I've been to parts of China that were similar to how the LA used to be. Your eyes always itch, you feel fatigued quite easily, it's not pleasant.

Comment

You'd basically have to hope the guy smogging your car has never smogged an e30. The ones who care about their license will likely either turn you away or fail you, you might get lucky and find a guy who still "smogs" cars for a little extra cash on top.

Comment

Originally posted by earthwormjim View Post
                    Pollution can get trapped in the LA area, hence why CARB has been so aggressive with emissions requirements since it was founded.
                    Yes, the valley can be a trap for smog...but that's not the whole store. First off, is the port. There is more cancer cases near the port of Long Beach, then near chernobyl. Ok, I might be over selling that one, but it's close.

Also, CARB was started to get 1970's cars off the road. One carbureted car puts out more unburnt fuel then 10,000 motronic e30s.

There's a great video of a newer Saab 900 hooked up to a 1980'ish Saab 900, and them testing the it on the track. THe exhaust of the old car was hooked up to the new car, and it actually cleaned the emissions.

It's a complicated subject. Heck, my lawn mower (a briggs and stratton) puts out more pollutants than my e46 does all year. And I only run it 4-5 times a year.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley Rockafella View Post
                      Exactly!
                      Part of the fun of stuffing that massive lump under the hood, is to be able to show it off!
                      Negative. The fun is putting it in second gear and carry it to 60 on an on-ramp. Showing it off is...just a side effect.

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
                        Negative. The fun is putting it in second gear and carry it to 60 on an on-ramp. Showing it off is...just a side effect.
                        I approve of this comment.
                        @IRON-E30 aka Edwin:D

Comment

My thoughts exactly :D
                          My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Tagged my car in Virginia a week before moving out here. The great State of California can suck it. Can't wait to get the fuck out of this nanny state.

Comment

Originally posted by earthwormjim View Post
                              Well Washington doesn't have the same terrain difficulties that LA does. Pollution can get trapped in the LA area, hence why CARB has been so aggressive with emissions requirements since it was founded.

Even with the strict emissions requirements, large portions of California have moderate air quality. Still much better than it was in the 70's.

As much of a pain that SMOG checking is, it's worth it in my view. Air quality used to be so terrible in the past. I've been to parts of China that were similar to how the LA used to be. Your eyes always itch, you feel fatigued quite easily, it's not pleasant.
                              I get this, but why does one have to jump through hoops when all one would need to do is prove that x=x? Instead of running the car through the test as a 1990 325i, why not run it through the test as a 1990 535i? As long as it passes the emissions test for the engine, it doesn't matter what the swap is, what modifications it has, etc. The owner of the car wouldn't have an incentive to lie because the car would be tested as a stock version of the engine.

The whole issue of smog in LA and other parts of California is consistently compounded by inadequate infrastructure and asinine city planning. If LA's drivers had their time spent in traffic shortened by 10%, it would result in $1.9bn in reduced costs to the city- and I don't know if that even takes into account increased healthcare costs due to stress and air quality. If CA somehow figured out a way to shorten congestion times by 10%, it would free up $3.77 billion (oh, and that's only including the cities in CA that are on the list of top 25 most congested in the country).
                              1990 325i/4/5, 1992 240SX, 1995 RRC, 1998 M3/4/5

Comment

Working...
                              X