No announcement yet.

MarkD chip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mine is supposed to be in the mail. i'm really excited. i called mark-d the other day and he's a really cool guy except for the Canadian accent. wink. (how come i couldn't find any of the smiley faces for my message. its not as good reading wink than seeing it. damnit)
    Originally posted by Hawt drift chick
    Yeah, i'm a good dude i swear, i just like to be balls to the wall.

Comment

Originally posted by O 16581 72452 5 View Post
      They're no different, it's just the moral issue, it's basically like copying a CD, they make a mirror and burn it to a chip.

I'd spend the extra for the real deal if it didn't cost so damn much.

My chips are cheaper than any other non-cloned chip out there, Turner chips are $249 and up and dyno charts of my m20 chip compared to theirs shows a significant increase. Don't think I'm getting rich selling chips, I'd do much better just returning to firmware development on new products.
      URL: www.dsylva-tech.ca

Comment

Originally posted by MarkD View Post
        My chips are cheaper than any other non-cloned chip out there, Turner chips are $249 and up and dyno charts of my m20 chip compared to theirs shows a significant increase. Don't think I'm getting rich selling chips, I'd do much better just returning to firmware development on new products.
        I understand your price compared to other's, i also understand your chip is better than the others. I'm not the one selling chips though, i don't know how much actual profit you make on the chips, but like i said, the reason i don't have one is because they're so expensive.

I say drop your price and see if you make more or less money, but that's my opinion, i think people would be more inclined to buy your product for say $100-$150 shipped to get the real deal and maybe people would shy away from the clones.

Comment

I understand your price compared to other's, i also understand your chip is better than the others. I'm not the one selling chips though, i don't know how much actual profit you make on the chips, but like i said, the reason i don't have one is because they're so expensive.

I say drop your price and see if you make more or less money, but that's my opinion, i think people would be more inclined to buy your product for say $100-$150 shipped to get the real deal and maybe people would shy away from the clones.
          So let me get this straight; you're saying:
          1) His chip is better than the others
          2) His chip is cheaper than ALL the other legit chip sellers

Yet you're still asking him to drop his price? Do you realize what goes into making a chip; how many years of expertise and learning nevermind the actual dyno costs and associated costs?

I know you're looking to combat the clone chips and all but I'm sure marking the price any lower really stops making it worth it for Mark. And its for that reason that we're suffering as a community by not having things such as a MAF chip for an m20 or some things I've been begging Mark to do for s50 motors.

Comment

Originally posted by NickP View Post
            So let me get this straight; you're saying:
            1) His chip is better than the others
            2) His chip is cheaper than ALL the other legit chip sellers

Yet you're still asking him to drop his price? Do you realize what goes into making a chip; how many years of expertise and learning nevermind the actual dyno costs and associated costs?

I know you're looking to combat the clone chips and all but I'm sure marking the price any lower really stops making it worth it for Mark. And its for that reason that we're suffering as a community by not having things such as a MAF chip for an m20 or some things I've been begging Mark to do for s50 motors.
            I know what goes in to making a chip, i've written them for Hondas and studied them. I don't know what he's using to write the program for the chips, but there's programs like Crome and Uberdata that guys make and give out for free.

Anyway, once the program is written, spend say $300 on dyno time to give a good tune to an M20 engine which maybe he has, or maybe he asked a friend to let him borrow it, $40-$100 on a chip burner depending how well it looks ($40 is for the kind with no casing), $5 a piece or so for an PROM chip and let's just assume he already has a laptop or if he bought one to do chips, let's assume he uses it for more than just making chips, therefore not part of the money in to the chip.

Total invested: $400 and $5 per new chip.

Profit is after two chips were sold.

Correct me if i'm wrong.

When a chip is $250 and a clone is $50, i rather just buy the clone and risk it being a JC or Dinan copy and like i said, for maybe $100-$125 shipped, i'd gladly give the guy money for the thing to know it's legit and will do what those dyno graphs show.

Obviously the people are making profit copying the chips and that's all Mark has to do now that he has the program written, if they're making profit from $50 shipped, Mark would be making more profit than them for $125 shipped.

Hell, maybe just have a month long special for that price to see what happens, i'd certainly buy one insted of a used or cloned one because that's the only way i'd buy one of these chips.

Comment

its everyone's responsibility to honor the work mark put into the chips. its the only way we can get him and people like him to continue to advance e30 "technology"(if thats the right word).
              Originally posted by Hawt drift chick
              Yeah, i'm a good dude i swear, i just like to be balls to the wall.

Comment

I know what goes in to making a chip, i've written them for Hondas and studied them. I don't know what he's using to write the program for the chips, but there's programs like Crome and Uberdata that guys make and give out for free.

Anyway, once the program is written, spend say $300 on dyno time to give a good tune to an M20 engine which maybe he has, or maybe he asked a friend to let him borrow it, $40-$100 on a chip burner depending how well it looks ($40 is for the kind with no casing), $5 a piece or so for an PROM chip and let's just assume he already has a laptop or if he bought one to do chips, let's assume he uses it for more than just making chips, therefore not part of the money in to the chip.

Total invested: $400 and $5 per new chip.

Profit is after two chips were sold.

Correct me if i'm wrong.

When a chip is $250 and a clone is $50, i rather just buy the clone and risk it being a JC or Dinan copy and like i said, for maybe $100-$125 shipped, i'd gladly give the guy money for the thing to know it's legit and will do what those dyno graphs show.

Obviously the people are making profit copying the chips and that's all Mark has to do now that he has the program written, if they're making profit from $50 shipped, Mark would be making more profit than them for $125 shipped.

Hell, maybe just have a month long special for that price to see what happens, i'd certainly buy one insted of a used or cloned one because that's the only way i'd buy one of these chips.
                You're wrong;

Ask Mark how long its taken him to learn the DME or how many thousands he's spent in dyno time and tuning and trial and error in finding power combinations that work and don't.

Also consider what Mark does with any profit after the above costs - how much of it goes into further research and development of the product?

You're just quoting the manufacturing costs of the chip which is extremely infantile. And to reiterate anyone who buys a clone chip is a thief and is hurting the e30 community.

Comment

Originally posted by NickP View Post
                  You're wrong;

Ask Mark how long its taken him to learn the DME or how many thousands he's spent in dyno time and tuning and trial and error in finding power combinations that work and don't.

Also consider what Mark does with any profit after the above costs - how much of it goes into further research and development of the product?

You're just quoting the manufacturing costs of the chip which is extremely infantile. And to reiterate anyone who buys a clone chip is a thief and is hurting the e30 community.
                  If he wants to share that, by all means do, the chips i've made have been cake work though.

I stated my understanding of it from my experience with it, i didn't say it were fact, i'd love to learn more why he does charge so much for chips (and i don't mean compared to other chips).

Comment

Dude your a fool.
                    Back to my roots

Comment

Originally posted by FifeDog236 View Post
                      Dude your a fool.
                      Oh yeah? Have you ever written chips and tuned a car? :P

And it's "you're".

Hell, when i was in the Honda scene people just posted their bin files on the forum after they dyno tuned it for the community to use if they had a burner. I know that's getting a little extreme of an example, but i'm just saying it's not as big of a deal as people are making it out to be to write chips when his master copy is made.

Yeah, i quoted manufacturing costs, what about it? I'm saying from what i know about chipping the cost, i know he's not going to sell shit for the price he pays for it, duh, he needs money for his time and development, i'm simply saying he's getting the money for his time and development after the first few chips were sold, i'm sure what he's selling now is pure profit.

Appologies to him for coming off as bashing his product because it is a good chip, i would love to own one, but i won't pay that pricetag for it and neither will alot of people, that's why clones are selling so well.
                      Last edited by O 16581 72452 5; 12-31-2006, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Lol, seriously man, if you can't afford it, don't buy it.

Keep it slideways!!

Comment

Originally posted by Axxe View Post
                          x2

Will
                          RIP e30 (brilliantrot '91 325i) 11/17/06 Byebye: 8/21/07
                          Welcome e30 (brilliantrot '90 325is) 12/23/06
                          DaveCN = Old Man
                          My signature picture was taken by ME! Not by anyone else!

Originally posted by george graves
                          If people keep quoting me in their sig, I'm going to burn this motherfucker down.

Comment

Originally posted by Axxe View Post
                            That's my whole point, haha.

Most of us are cheap asses that can't afford it.

I could afford it, but that $250 could be better spent elsewhere IMO.

Comment

Like buying wheels that fit your car properly...Cars aren't cheap, anything worth buying is going to cost something...
                              :: PNW Crew ::
                              '87 325 4dr, '74 2002

Comment

What kind of gains can I expect for my stock 88 325ic 5-Spd. 3.73 with a Mark D chip?
                                sigpic
                                1988 5 spd.Cabrio/Lachs Silber/Black Leather/123k/Dealer Serviced & Maintained by both PO's
                                Clarion DXZ785USB HU, BBS Wheels, Leather e-brake handle & e-brake boot, Mtech 1 Wheel, Maplight Mirror, Performance chip, Rear Headrests.
                                Previous E30: 1986 5 spd. 325es/Delphin Gray/Black Leather/191k

Comment

Working...
                                X