m20 chokes in morning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

m20 chokes in morning

Hi all, i have had my e30 325ic for about 2 yrs now. its my summer "beater". I have noticed (since last year), that every morning after i start it up, it idles fine. then i started driving it, 1st to 2nd around 30km/h (2000-3000), it would choke and as if no fuel is going through when i press the pedal. this only happens for that 5-10 seconds everyday (after the first gear shift in the morning), and then it drives fine. then after work when i start the car cold (after 8-9 hours) car starts fine, and NO problem at all ! i have notice this only happens in the morning and i really couldn't figure why. open to any suggestions. thanks guys in advance!

My car is doing the exact same thing! I was about to start this thread. But my car does it for 5 minutes and then finally gets better. And stays fine the rest of the day.

Comment

Please watch the video. Car idles fine. But when I open up the throttle it seems like it's ducking site but not getting fuel? Need help. E30 Bmw Problem: http://youtu.be/lMMFNpgotps

Comment

If all other sensors are working properly (temp sensors, etc) I would consider cracking open the dme to check for moisture/corrosion. I had a similar problem with my 30 years ago with inconsistent no starts/stalls that ended up being caused by moisture in the dme that caused corrosion that caused problems in certain temp/humidity combinations. It was cured with a clean junkyard dme.

I also had a Chevy Colorado that worked fine unless it was below ~60 degrees and damp out, in which case it would stall every 5 minutes or so (there was even a TSB for the Colorado).

Assuming all other systems are working ok, those weird problems are often due to corrosion/damage to the harness or dme causing inconsistent/out or range readings to the ecu.

Comment

Even though my car runs fine after it warms up?

Comment

Does it smoke? Because I hear that'll make you choke and cough in the morning

Comment

Originally posted by blizake500 View Post
              Even though my car runs fine after it warms up?
              Possibly. It was very intermittent with mine. Like I said, it's b something worth checking if everything else tests OK.

Comment

Ok so I start my car and it idles fine. Then I get up to about 2500 3000 rpm and it stutters like I'm not getting fuel or I have a vaccum leak. But when my car warms up its acts perfect

Comment

Originally posted by blizake500 View Post
                  Ok so I start my car and it idles fine. Then I get up to about 2500 3000 rpm and it stutters like I'm not getting fuel or I have a vaccum leak. But when my car warms up its acts perfect
                  That sounds like it could be a vacuum leak. Or a bad coolant temp sender. But probably a vacuum leak.

Comment

Working...
                  X