Strange Ignition Key

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange Ignition Key

I just bought a 1989 325i and the keys are really strange. It has different ones for the ignition and the doors, which makes sense, but the ignition key doesn't even look like an E30 key.
    It's really short and has a circle handle. Does anyone know what this is from?
    Also the previous owner said that he had the door keys made from BMW, so I'm assuming that they match the VIN. Is there a way I can go to the dealer and get an ignition column made to match the locks on the doors?

Top is the ignition, the all metal is the door keys.
    1988 325is - Totaled, Hit and Run
    1994 530iT - Rusty, Not Running, Gone
    1989 325i - Clean Body, Barely Runs

My guess someone put in an aftermarket ignition tumbler cause the ignition switch probably went out at some point and they weren't smart enough to know they just needed to replace the switch. Or the tumbler was actually broke or needed replaced do to attempted theft. Just my guess's

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
    1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
    Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
    Mtech 2 turbo restoration
    Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

The top is the original bmw key, as it looks like it has the word 'huf' just below the round plastic portion. That key could be the original one of your car or from a junkyard car with the matching ignition for purposes as guessed by ThatOneEuroE30 above.

It looks like it is the valet key which should work in the ignition and the doors only, and is not supposed to open the truck or glove box. So, it probably is from a junkyard car as your doors work with another key.
      1990 325i
      2004 330i Individual 6-speed
      sigpic

Comment

Thanks guys. I suspected it was a valet key but wasn't sure. I'll try to go to the dealer and get an ignition for my car. I'm just picky about stuff like that I guess.

I also have a key broken off in the driver's door, but that's a problem for another day

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk
        1988 325is - Totaled, Hit and Run
        1994 530iT - Rusty, Not Running, Gone
        1989 325i - Clean Body, Barely Runs

Comment

Strangley enough I have the same exact key with the strange pattern for my ignition. I had lost my door lock keys so I took a gamble and order a VIN key from BMW and to my excitement the door locks were original but the Ignition had this strange key. Even weirder is that the VIN key doesn't work for the trunk or my glove box, but if I recall the old key I used for the doors worked with the glove box and trunk. It could be that the Key is too new for the worn lock cylinders.

I'm also stupid picky so I'll be replacing that as well. On the bright side I still have to use one key since it has a keyless entry system.

Comment

Originally posted by 3vilE30 View Post
            ... Even weirder is that the VIN key doesn't work for the trunk or my glove box, but if I recall the old key I used for the doors worked with the glove box and trunk. It could be that the Key is too new for the worn lock cylinders.
            Originally posted by IceWhite View Post
            ... It looks like it is the valet key which should work in the ignition and the doors only, and is not supposed to open the truck or glove box...
            '89 lachssilber vert - Frau Blücher
            '84 alpine 2dr - gone to the great beyond...
            '00 titanium 4dr e46 - bricked

Comment

The small key is the valet key, I have one for my car too.
              AWD > RWD

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
                The small key is the valet key, I have one for my car too.

They must of changed valet keys here is mine for 1991 318

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

^That is the duplicate key to keep in your wallet, and not the Valet key. You supposed to have a valet key in addition to that.
                  1990 325i
                  sigpic

Comment

This is from the owners manual.

1990 325i
                    sigpic

Comment

Check out this thread: E30 OEM KEY OCD Thread

Hope that helps.
                      1990 325i
                      sigpic

Comment

Judging from the tip of the key, the weird one is just a normal aftermarket key, not a valet key. Someone likely changed your ignition lock cylinder and that is why you have two keys.

You can buy a brand new lock set with keys if you want to have all your locks match and use the same key. It's a bit under $300 for the set. Part number 51211904727.

Comment

Working...
                        X