No announcement yet.

New to E30 325is What OIL?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We need some LIKE buttons on here, then i won't have to do this...

;D
    sigpic

Comment

The Mobil 1 0W-40 is fine for summer, too. That's my all-arrive luck.
      Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

I heard of Mobil 1 but never heard of 0w-40 ...
        sigpic

Comment

I put Mobil1 5w-40 turbodiesel in the ol' turbo last week, and it seems to like it. The valvetrain is bit noisier than the 15w-50, but that's likely because at 60F ambient the 15w-50 is as thick as maple syrup. I'm also liking that fact that it's specifically designed for turbo engines, and my hope is that it has some additives that will reduce susceptibility to "cooking" the oil inside the turbo on shutdown.

Comment

Originally posted by rustneversleeps View Post
            I heard of Mobil 1 but never heard of 0w-40 ...
            Both Mobil and BMW recommend it for this engine, it's got enough ZDDP, it helps a ton with cold starts (vs. the Mobil 1 15W-50 I used to use), and it's fine in the heat. And you can get 5L bottles on the cheap at Walmart.

Winning
            Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Comment

so now that i have the oil figured out what type of Oil filter should i get..I have the Bosch in my cart..there so many brands..
              sigpic

Comment

Rotella Triple T 15w40 has always treated my 318is well, very cheap at advance if you order online as well... $14/gallon last time I bought.

Comment

Can we make a sticky that just has all the preferred engine oils for the e30 engines. Seems like we get one of these thread once a month

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                  1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                  Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                  Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                  Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
                    Can we make a sticky that just has all the preferred engine oils for the e30 engines. Seems like we get one of these thread once a month
                    Agreed.

Comment

A Sticky and we need a LIKE button too...Nice to compliment.
                      sigpic

Comment

Bosch filter is fine, Mann is OEM and what most people go with.

Comment

Has anyone tried the Liqui-Moly MoS2 10w-40? I have it in my M42 here in Florida and it sounds like a sewing machine, but not sure how it would fair in the M20. Anyone else tried it?

Comment

Mobil1 15w50 for summer and 10w30 for winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            sigpic
                            1987 325e Lachssilber w/ MarkD chip and late bumpers, Zender EVO spoiler, s3.25 LSD

Originally posted by nando
                            I don't think there's really strong evidence that ZDDP harms cats.

Comment

20dubyafiddy

All year

That way your engine don't tick
                              Hank Ahrens
                              1984 Alpine Coupe
                              1978 911sc

Comment

I've used Castrol GTX 20w-50 in my E30s for the past 16 years.

Never had a problem that I could say was oil/wear related.

Reading this thread living in TN (zone 7b) with a freshly rebuilt M20 makes me think about switching to 10w-40 for the summer months but I'm so used to the dub-fiddy it'll be hard..

Comment

Working...
                                X