No announcement yet.

FIXED: Stuttering at 3k RPM.. has anyone figured this out? --- VIDEO INSIDE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You might as well try it dude. I hope you get this resolved soon.

-NICK

Comment

my car's situation is not quite the same as yours but while driving for a bit i lose all power and as letting off the gas power came back. today finally the car died on me with no power even with throttle pushed and now will start but will die off. looks like the fuel pump finally died. the loss of pressure would was causing the car to boggle down and finally die. hope mine gets fixed tomorrow and hope that maybe this might be the start of what you have so you can fix it. 318is FTW!

Comment

Received a comment on youtube saying it was potentially the cam lobes.. I had the valve cover off about 4 months ago and all the cams looked good.. guess I can check again. I'm taking this to a local BMW master tech probably tomorrow to try and troubleshoot (he's a 'buddy' and has no problem helping me) because after talking on the phone for over 30 mins even he seemed stumped..

I'll report back, and hoping it's not my cams!
        My 1991 318is Progression Thread

Comment

Ok so, spent an hour with the mechanic today.. he initially thought it was a fuel related problem, but testing fuel pressure and tried using some carb cleaner or something to see if it would rev past 4200 (which is now what it is going to) and it would not.

Then he tested my plugs/coils to make sure they were all working properly.. and they were. We then swapped ECU's (again) and the car still won't rev past 4200 under load.. (if you walk it up, you can take it to about 4500)

He says it is MOST LIKELY a broken valve spring, which would make sense as this problem has been getting worse and worse over the last 4-5 months.

Will pull valve cover and test the springs and report back.

Comment

Any updates?

Comment

bs on valve spring

Comment

Agree, not valve spring.

This is electrical...posibly something simple, like bad ground wire.

Comment

Remove your spark plugs and Gap your plugs to .22. do not use one of those cheap round spark plug gap tools, use feeler gauge to get an more accurate gap. When your done let me know so I can send you my paypal information so you can thank me! :jk: hahah

FS:///M-Tech Wallets.
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=224601

Comment

Oh, sorry.. no, no updates yet.. just got back to school and been busting my ass there. Been riding my bike and other car around town.. e30 just sittin' pretty.

Have not double checked that valve spring.. but all I know is I drove it the day after the diagnosis and it was having trouble revving past 3500 RPM..

The main ground wire is pretty secure.. I'll check my plugs again I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by lostbeachbum View Post
                      Remove your spark plugs and Gap your plugs to .22. do not use one of those cheap round spark plug gap tools, use feeler gauge to get an more accurate gap. When your done let me know so I can send you my paypal information so you can thank me! :jk: hahah
                      Plug gap is not that critical. Hence why those round tools even exist. You can be 0.010 off and MAYBE notice a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by NitroRustlerDriver View Post
                        Plug gap is not that critical. Hence why those round tools even exist. You can be 0.010 off and MAYBE notice a difference.
                        then you will have to explain to me how I had the same problem (5k rpm shudder), which was resolved by lowering the gap of my plugs, I was given this solution by Mark D.

FS:///M-Tech Wallets.
                        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=224601

Comment

Originally posted by lostbeachbum View Post
                          then you will have to explain to me how I had the same problem (5k rpm shudder), which was resolved by lowering the gap of my plugs, I was given this solution by Mark D.
                          It was possible related issue to insecure plugged in spark wire or similar.
                          I had the same thing happening to my car, turned our bad afm and/or loose/rusty groud on the coil pack. While diagnosing this issue i changed plugs and wires also....so at the end all small thing have to be attended and resolved. Remeber, the yongest e30 is almost 20 years old now!

Comment

Pulled my plugs today.. the 2 inner plugs were both fouled with carbon. Re-torqued and put them all back. As I started the car, the engine sounded a lot smoother.. until I applied a little throttle, that is when the ticking began. It engaged almost like it "clicked" on. The engine has always had a slight tick, but now it is distinct and in your face.

The car would not rev past 3000 RPM..

Comment

Contacted Metric Mechanic about a 2100 Rally Engine... :shock:

Comment

Updated Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKeFjYPRml0

Took the valve cover off today, dinked around with the springs.. they all looked fine. None of them were any easier to compress than another. Hand cranked the engine and they all compressed, no weird noises or anything out of the ordinary.

Changed my plugs with NGK BKR6EK plugs.. pre-gapped.. my valve tick went away once I changed the plugs.

However, the car is now not revving past 3K.. still stuttering. Warmed the car up all the way, and still sounds like it's hitting rev limiter or missing. I am completely stumped.. the car still idles like a boss and in the video that is with AC on..

Could one of the coils have gone bad?

The car is squealing terribly.. sounds like a belt, but not really.. sounds very metallic.

I checked the water pump not too long ago, the car was still squeaking and everything looked fine..

Completely out of ideas other than maybe a coil plug died or something..

Comment

Working...
                                X