E36 Intake on E30 M42

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E36 Intake on E30 M42

So I barely failed my smog test (foul plugs), so unfortunately my smog tech had to fail me on my visual as well. The previous owner had installed an aftermarket intake so I do not have the original.

I'm having a hard time sourcing an E30 M42 OEM intake, so I was wondering if an E36 M42 OEM intake would bolt on. After looking at some pictures, the general shape looks fine I'm just worried about the MAF mounting points may be different. Mind you it doesn't have to look 100% genuine from the factory, my smog tech just needs somethinggg.

Thanks in advance!

E36 manifold has variable intake runners with a little flapper and stuff. While I'm sure you could disable it somehow so it only works one way, you would be better off finding an e30 manifold.

What manifold do you have on it now? Got a picture?

I have the upper section of the stock e30 manifold I would sell you if you are interested. You would have to source the lower section though.

Comment

You mean just the plastic box with the filter? or the whole manifold? You should be able to find the stock filter box plenty of places such as junkyards and ebay or on here.

S54B32 swap in progress. Status: Getting There

Comment

Originally posted by Asbradley21 View Post
        You mean just the plastic box with the filter? or the whole manifold? You should be able to find the stock filter box plenty of places such as junkyards and ebay or on here.
        Yeah sorry for not being clear in the original post, I only meant the intake box not the intake manifold. Surprisingly enough I haven't been able to find an E30 M42 boxes only a ton of E36 ones- hence the post. After googling some engine bays I think an E36 intake box or even one from an M40 should be fine, just thought I'd chime in here before I go throw my money away.

Thanks for the prompt replies!

Comment

i have one you can borrow to pass smog im in orange county though

Comment

Ug!
            Just spent a half hour looking through hundreds of e30-related photos I’ve downloaded over the years..
            I swear to f’ing god that I saw an m42/e30 with the e36 intake. Drove me crazy that I couldn’t find the picture. I’ll keep hunting for it.

I remember messaging the guy (from Canada?) “Wow – what a cool way to get a Sparco bar over an m42 engine!” (m42/e30 intake is rather high) and he was like “yeah, needed an engine – and had an e36 donor..” don’t remember any details further than that.

I remember thinking it might be cool – like for a super-fractional upgrade – but then kept coming back to how much I enjoy celebrating the m42/e30 – and how I enjoy keeping it’s core parts original..

the guy was likely using an entire e36 m42 engine.. sorry I can’t provide any further, technical, insightful input..

edit: nvrmd.. just now saw your post.. was thinking manifold there..
            -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

Originally posted by ///digitalme View Post
              i have one you can borrow to pass smog im in orange county though
              PM'd!!! <3

Originally posted by Simon S View Post
              Ug!
              Just spent a half hour looking through hundreds of e30-related photos I’ve downloaded over the years..

edit: nvrmd.. just now saw your post.. was thinking manifold there..
              Oof sorry about that! If it makes you feel any better I just lurked your build page :bow:

Comment

I have some to buy
                Originally posted by bmwm42
                PNW vulture pm me for parts
                Strategic nw e30 command

Comment

Working...
                X