Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How in the world do you access this nut????? (rear subframe toe adjustment..)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How in the world do you access this nut????? (rear subframe toe adjustment..)

So I installed the camber and toe adjusters and then installed the subframe. Then I installed the controls arms to only realize that getting to the toe nuts was simply impossible. So I lowered the subframe and installed the the control arms. But I had to keep the subframe down a couple inches because gaining access to the nuts is impossible once the subframe is up. Not an issue on my other stock 1989 325i but the adjusters pushed them out a little to far.

So is the only way to tighten them to lower the subframe???? I can see adjusting toe to be a rather lengthy process once the entire car is back together.

Thanks,

Jason

Built > Bought
    58 Beetle | 79 Rabbit 20vT | 84 GTI TDI |84 GTI 16vT |12 Golf TDI ----89 325i | 99 QCSB Ram Cummins | 02 Burb 4x4 2500

come on guys. I know I'm not the only won't out there!!!
    Built > Bought
    58 Beetle | 79 Rabbit 20vT | 84 GTI TDI |84 GTI 16vT |12 Golf TDI ----89 325i | 99 QCSB Ram Cummins | 02 Burb 4x4 2500

Comment

You sure you didn't put the bolt in backwards?
      sigpic
      1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
      1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
      1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

McGyver...garagistic agrees.

I got through to the them and they said to flip it. They said the fit is even tighter with aftermarket bushingers there. Glad I went OEM everywhere.

Atleast I can flip them pretty easy as I haven't full installed everything!
        Built > Bought

Comment

Ugh
          There is a f'n spider on your jack stand!
          F'k I hate spiders.
          Originally posted by codyep3
          I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
          2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
          1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
          1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
          2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
          2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
          2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
          2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
          2010 F650gs twin
          2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

LMAO! I didn't even see that!!! LOL
            Built > Bought

Comment

sigpic

Comment

I use a ground down 18mm wrench. Just a cheap one I bought at Autozone. I also trimmed down the subframe bushings on the side along that nut to allow better access. It's a very tight fit, but do-able.
                '89 BMW 325is Zinnoberrot / '88 VW Jetta GLI 16v Tornado Red / '89 VW Jetta GLI 16v Tornado Red / '89 VW GTI 16v Bright Blue Metallic / '91 BMW 325i Black / '91 BMW 325i Sport Black / '92 VW GTI 16v Black / '92 VW GTI 16v Montana Green / '01 Audi A4 Avant TQM Silver Metallic / '01 VW Jetta GLX VR6 Black

Comment

F'k u massimo.

Lol
                  Originally posted by codyep3
                  I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
                  2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
                  1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
                  1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
                  2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
                  2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
                  2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
                  2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
                  2010 F650gs twin
                  2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

Start off by not having a ridiculously blown subframe mount.. or just stick the jack stand on the pinch weld.
                    Build Threads:
                    Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

I had the same problem - spend hours, and hours on it. My alignment guy had NO issues at getting to the bolt. I think when the suspension is compressed(such as when you're on the alignment rack), you can get at it easier.
                      Originally posted by Matt-B
                      hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Put the bolt the other way. With the oem bushings (or "raised" bushings) it shouldn't be too bad. "standard" poly or delrin bushings can be an issue though. Pictured below is the needed modification (these are our delrin subframe bushings but the concept is the same)

Comment

Yup, the trimming made things a lot easier.

I have a cut- and- welded bent wrench for each side- just about the only way I could get
                          a range of adjustment....

t
                          now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Black 88 View Post
                            Ugh
                            There is a f'n spider on your jack stand!
                            F'k I hate spiders.

Leave Me Transaction Feedback

Comment

I ground down an 18mm wrench to get in there for adjustments

'73 2002 m20 turbo [sold] '87 rat rod 325is [couch modded] '91 vert [daily] '88 325is [spec build v1] '84 325 [spec build v2] '99 323i vert [sold]

Comment

Working...
                              X