Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This thread is more on topic than me starting a new oh boy/son of a... thread of my own. :D

Yesterday, my car got a heaping load of love from my track pals. As you may or may not know, I bought my car back in mid June as an inexpensive alternative to wrecking my daily driver as I get faster and drive solo at more and more track events. What I know only one other user here knows is that little more than a month later I got some grave news about my health and have started a fight with colon cancer... one I am bent upon winning.:finger:

My strength leaving me and my car halfway through a front suspension refresh (inner control arm balljoints... ow) I messaged my track friends to see if someone wasn't interested in taking the car off my hands and giving it a good home. I had boxes of fresh parts, most of the SpecE30 suspension, and big plans that had been pretty much shattered. Within hours of that first email, my boys had decided they weren't going to let me lose the car nor any time doing the build. They'd take over for me and make sure I could keep the car. I was in tears reading this and talking to some of the guys later that week.

It took about a month to get everyone's calendars to align and a tremendous donation of shop and lift use from Ed Fuhrman at Induktion Motorsports gave them a place to take the car. Lightning struck though and like an overly excited puppy, the car peed herself both fuel and coolant in a dramatic start to what turned out to be the best day of my last month as the cancer fight bell ding dinged.

The heater core is shot. The car sat for nearly two months with the front end on jackstands in my garage leaking -barely- a saucer-sized dry puddle of oil from a leaky oil control valve gasket. Without the time to study it, the fuel leak seemed to be coming from the top of the tank only under pressure; it did not leak once the motor was off nor did she leak again. I'd allowed her to idle for nearly half an hour because the original optional alarm seems to be killing the battery and I'd ideally wanted to drive into the bay instead of push her. C'est la Vie.

Up on the lift and my pals tore through the car. I'd originally did not want the Spec suspension kit to go on, but just the fresh parts so that the state inspection would pass. Few people were convinced the H&R race/Bilstein combo would even cause an inspector to flinch. After the fact, I have to say how remarkably compliant the ride is, even with a trunk full of three toolchests and a duffel full of airtools.

That passenger side front control arm inboard balljoint to subframe attachment was a bastard. We would up dropping the subframe to get it off only to be confounded by the balljoint stem not wanting to drop! A jog to the local NAPA netted me a beeeeefy new pickle fork that had that mother of in seconds. As things went back together, the boys looked in my parts boxes and found fresh Brembo rotors and Hawk pads and said, "Why not?"

In a little more than six pretty casual hours, a dozen guys transformed my budget track toy into most of what I will have on track next season. My most sincere thanks to James, Ed, Anand, Jeremy, Mike, Steve, Ian, David, Matthew, Jason, Steven, and Yun for their overwhelming support for me. I don't think you guys know just how much being able to keep this little green car is helping me get through this. :puppy: :bow:
    - Sco

Keep Our City CLEAN & SAFE Do Your Part

Comment

That's a wonderful story, Scotaku. You have some seriously awesome friends. With people like that standing behind you, you'll definitely win that fight. :)

P.S. Post pics of the car!
      sigpic

Comment

I put together a hasty sample of photos from the work day on todays post at my blog: http://scogotabug.blogspot.com I've been using the blog therapeutically to help keep my family and friends up to date; it's a -lot- easier than endless email lists and typing the same stories over and over!

As an aside, one of the points of my blog is to encourage the people I love to get themselves checked for fecal occult blood. Do not trust the poop on a postcard test but get your doctor on your side to get a real test done. And do it regularly. It's gross and it's embarrassing, but colon cancer is indiscriminate. I am walking proof that you don't have to be an over 50, red meat eating, white male to develop it. Women, black, yellow, gay, Democrat... it doesn't matter. Please get yourself checked out. :thumbup:
        - Sco

Keep Our City CLEAN & SAFE Do Your Part

Comment

I'm going to be doing alot to mine.
          Allready done,
          rear euro bumper
          euro ellips with HIDs
          rear euro plate filler
          duel trunk lights
          leather shift and e brake boots
          M-tech 1 wheel
          german check panel
          stock "is" weaves
          hood splitters

Needs to be done,
          paint front fender,valance,and Zender lip
          mount front euro bumper and the other parts after paint
          lower it when springs get here
          Long tube header and exhaust
          put tags on it and drive it.

So basicly putting everything off of my burgundy car onto my black car.

1992 BMW 325iC
          1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
          1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Lets see.....today I wetsanded and proceeded to roller paint....again. It is a LOT of work. My back is sore :( . Fighting runs and orange peel suck, but it is looking pretty good....and since I'm doing it myself, I can keep workin at it until it looks great!.....even though that may take over a month!

Anyways, my mtech2 rear valence came today. Soon I'll have it mounted, a front lip mounted, and the taurus skirts mounted. I cant wait!

Comment

..well these things were done by my Partner in e30 crimes. my dad.

he changed the locks so i can have a way to get into the car if my (soon to be bought) keyless entry fails or dies. (any suggestions? on which one i should get)

also getting tierods replaced and aligned. getting ready for that M50 swap.

also bought a set of those SWEEEETT as fucking Roundels havent seen them in person yet. but there on route to my house.

thats my little addition
              Operation S/C E39M5.:woowoo:

Comment

drove it. replaced fan belt, enjoyed the 5 speed mwahahaha :D

Comment

drove it like i stole it

Comment

Drove it. Crawled underneath to discover that I can move the aluminum sifter carrier about an inch in all directions with barely any pressure. Another project in coming...

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

i sold it.

Comment

Tinted the windows, then promptly kicked myself in the ass and cried.

>> 1988 3.1 ITB E30 /// 2002 E46 M3 6MT / 2008 335xi 6MT / 1991 S38B36 E30 (sold)

Comment

Been scraping out sound deadener from the inside. That shit get stinky when it melts, hope it doesnt have a lead based paint on it lolz.

Lsx/t56 Swap progress |----------| .0000000005% - Well below poverty line.
                          Getting purists panties in a knot since 2007. ;)
                          E30 count = 6! :shock:

Comment

clutch stop, what a great upgrade for so little time and money.
                            Custom Made Skid Plates For Sale.
                            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=111469
                            http://raceskids.com/

Comment

I sold my E30 today............:(

91-318i SOLD : (
                              91-318IS for sale
                              95-740i DD
                              84-Monte carlo SS Under construction
                              90-T-bird Supercoupe DD

Comment

M50 injectors installed today followed by a nice smoky burnout!!

Comment

Working...
                                X