325ix Touring From Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

325ix Touring From Canada

I figured I would post up some pictures and progress of my 325ix touring. After a Volvo 740 turbo wagon it was going to be extremely hard to replace such a useful car. BUT I really wanted an e30 of some sort when I got rid of the 740. I was sure I would be stuck with a non wagon. After being disappointed by SOOOO many "mint" e30's I finally found this one advertised on a local forum and it was about a 2 minute walk from where I was going for breakfast. Even though it was out of my price range I looked at it anyway. MAN it was refreshing to see a car that was actually in decent condition. It had no rust holes, no cigarette burns, no duct tape or zip ties, it was ACTUALLY pretty close to mint and had 198,xxx kms. So I decided to go for it and I have not been disappointed. I actually found lots things that it was not advertised with when I went through the bills. Anyway, here are some pictures...

When I got it (only had Instagram one for some reason):

Where a bird cracked my headlight

Up North

Transporting my bike

Some Fish eye and some DH bikes

decided to do the timing belt with all the hoses even though it was not due. I found this had fallen out of the water pump mounting and had been jammed between the tensioner and the belt....Pretty Lucky on that one. I have no idea how long it was like that.

ANND doing what it does best

what I have done since I got it:
    - Belts&hoses
    - front suspension (H&R sports, repaint struts, new shock bellows etc.)
    - front brakes (rebuilt calipers, braided lines from bluntech, new discs)
    - all fluid changed
    - New tires + Rota RB's
    - New Stereo
    - New plugs, Dist. Cap and rotor
    - Timing belt and water pump
    - Power steering lines
    - New front CV boots
    - new tie rods

What I still have to do:
    - New Rad (existing is original and may or may not have a very small leak)
    - adjust valves
    - head bolts
    - Install Jute91's Spline upgrade
    - clean up engine bay
    - Do rear springs
    - Do rear brakes (Someone along the way replaced the vented rear discs with standard non vented ones. I am waiting on the correct vented discs which ECS said they could get, but I've been waiting for 2 months now which is kind of annoying. If anyone knows where I could get some sooner that would be great)
    -Fix the speedo (stopped working a few months ago, according to the internet I may be able to fix it by re-flowing the solder?)
    - Fix numerous little surface rust spots + paint rear valance white
    - get a rebuilt steering rack
    - put my rear right mudflap back on
    -Find a ball for the factory westfailia hitch (one of the PO's has it I'm sure)

My old volvo....She still has a place in my heart
    [/URL]
    Last edited by Wille30; 06-09-2014, 08:16 PM.

Nice, more ix models here
    https://www.facebook.com/Cry_77_IX-110483784967661
    https://www.instagram.com/cry_77_ix/

Comment

Beautiful car.
      1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
      1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

if you ever let that thing rust out I will, personally, come to your house and spread strawberry preserves all over your face against your will.

Beautiful car.

91 318i | 87 535iS

Comment

Originally posted by ScHpAnKy View Post
          if you ever let that thing rust out I will, personally, come to your house and spread strawberry preserves all over your face against your will.

Beautiful car.
          Never! Although I am a fan of jam. But yes I will do my best, I don't even drive it to work anymore so it doesn't see too many KM (I still use it a lot). I also wash the underside regularly and keep a close eye on the rust.

Comment

Well thought I would post as I haven't in a while...Pretty much have to still do everything on my to do list...BUT I did have to replace those brake lines above the rear sub frame. It honestly wasn't as bad as I thought. I've also took it on a little 1000 K road trip this month from Toronto-Ottawa-Haliburton-Toronto with a snowstorm for the whole trip to Ottawa. Performed great...except for the fact that my power locks are stuck with all doors locked. This included the fuel door, which I took a good portion of the trunk apart looking for the pull cord bypass, not realizing that the touring has the actuator RIGHT above the battery and no cord. So I can fill wth gas, but I only have one door to use on my car...which I''m going to try to solve this week (I think my girlfriend isnt thrilled crawling through). It makes a buzzing sound...but nothing happens. But times like this make you really appreciate when your power locks do work.

Getting towed from my house to my parents house to repair rear brake lines (cost nothing thanks to CAA)

new lines

Gas and clearing headlights...Also my ebay IS Lip got dominated by a giant frozen ice clump from a truck

Parked out on Lake Scugog

Road into the cottage

I also picked up a roof tent off Kijiji!

Last edited by Wille30; 02-09-2015, 07:26 PM. Reason: added Tent

Comment

Cool! Loving the functionality

Comment

Love the roof tent. Always wanted to get one of those for my old toyota 4x4 pickup

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Which model roof tent is that?
                  Can the E30 roof rack hold the weight well?

Originally posted by Wille30 View Post
                  I also picked up a roof tent off Kijiji!

Comment

Nice man! :)
                    Speedo is probably the connector or wires at the diff.
                    E30 325ix M50 turbo 7 spd DCT 4wd 840awhp @ 31 psi.
                    E30 M50 6 spd 764whp @ 24psi.
                    E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Nice car man! Surprised i haven't seen you cruising around! I feel like i've seen the green vert in the first pic around Kensington a few times
                      1988 Atlantisblau Euro/Japanese 325i Cabriolet
                      1989 Schwartz 325i - now M50 powered! - now very dead
                      1998 Toyota 4Runner Limited
                      My 17,000km Big NA National Parks trip!

Comment

Always nice to see a car being used as intended! It looks awesome covered in snow with those euroweaves.

Comment

I hate you! :)

now pm me the local forum's name immediately. (Is it max?)

Also, don't drive it in snow... you know our roads, and how the city helps us preserve our cars :)

Nice touring, I've been after one for a while locally and I have NO LUCK!
                          Originally Posted by mpowerful
                          Ive been looking at this thread ever since it got posted and every time I do my peepee tingles a little.
                          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                          1991 Alpinweiß Sedan.... mah mistress. <-click :pimp:

Comment

Your timing belt looks like that & you're saying its not due?! You're lucky it hasn't snapped yet.

Comment

Originally posted by WestCoastEta View Post
                              Always nice to see a car being used as intended! It looks awesome covered in snow with those euroweaves.
                              Exactly! I just have to make sure I win in my battle against the salt!

Originally posted by dchun View Post
                              Which model roof tent is that?
                              Can the E30 roof rack hold the weight well?
                              hope so....but yeah, it should be okay, the tent actually comes with built in gutter clamps. I will get the name this weekend, it is from the 70's and made in Canada. We had a similar one that we mounted to an old VW van.

Originally posted by Nisse Järnet View Post
                              Nice man! :)
                              Speedo is probably the connector or wires at the diff.
                              I tried to solder them and no dice...although it constantly works after about 20 mins of driving these days...

Originally posted by Sea Aych View Post
                              Nice car man! Surprised i haven't seen you cruising around! I feel like i've seen the green vert in the first pic around Kensington a few times
                              I guess I don't use it too much, I ride to work and ride in the city as you probably know driving in Toronto is pretty bad if you want to get anywhere...but when I do I'm usually in the Dundas west area or driving somewhere far. The Vert is my dads, hes in Scarborough mostly.

Originally posted by partner103 View Post
                              I hate you! :)

now pm me the local forum's name immediately. (Is it max?)

Also, don't drive it in snow... you know our roads, and how the city helps us preserve our cars :)

Nice touring, I've been after one for a while locally and I have NO LUCK!
                              Thanks! I only use it for trips really, so it doesn't see much salt, and I wash the underside regularly as well. Sorry I was on Vacation last week so I couldnt get back to you right away, it was on Max...another just sold on Max a few months ago in Newmarket, I think the guy who purchased it has some pretty big plans for it.

Originally posted by Bimmerista View Post
                              Your timing belt looks like that & you're saying its not due?! You're lucky it hasn't snapped yet.

haha noooo, I didn't know it had been damaged until I took it apart and saw the condition. I replaced it right away. It just wasn't at the replacement interval in terms of KM's or time. I just wanted to replace it because I was doing all the other belts and hoses at the time.

Comment

Working...
                              X